BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 8 of 32 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#760916 - 02/21/12 07:37 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: moshe_levy]
beemerman2k Offline

Loc: Ellington, CT
Just this very moment: Sitting in a Walmart parking lot checking my email when a Latina woman with a car full of kids pulls up to my door. I thought she was parking her car and I wondered why she chose to park so close to me. Then the windows came down and the kids started waving "Watch Tower" magazines at me. "Oh, I get it now, she isnt parking, she's proselytizing!".

Even Jehovah Witnesses have a world view to sell us. Is it the right world view? It is to some, and that's fine with me. Glad they found a place where they can be happy.

#760937 - 02/21/12 08:54 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: beemerman2k]
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks

Loc: Edmonton, AB Canada
The Christian Bible is, IMHO, such a convoluted mess of contradictions, parables, metaphors, and just plain old lack of clarity, that it can (and is) used to support just about any position on just about anything.

And in keeping with that theme grin, when I see the Tim Tebow thing; Matthew 6:6 comes to mind.

That being said, I don’t really give a rat’s ___ one way or the other. For one thing I don’t watch football. But in a bigger scope, I’m quite capable of slamming the door (actually or figuratively) in the face of anyone trying to push their religion on me, regardless of flavor, without a second thought. I have much better, and more interesting things, to burn brain cycles on!

I don’t resent it or get all worked up about it, I just dismiss it out of hand. An approach that I think would serve more people well that starting yet another war (of any size). “There’s nothing to see here, move on.”

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.

#760949 - 02/21/12 09:19 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Ken H.]
beemerman2k Offline

Loc: Ellington, CT
A huge problem with human thinking is that we approach various issues as though they are completely one sided without any other legitimate perspectives. We like to learn point, but we are not so hot on learning counterpoint.. I find this to be true of both religion and of political issues, and that's why these issues are so toxic to discuss.

Ideologies serve us in that they enable us to deeply explore a subject with all of its finer points and nuances. But ideologies have their problems as well: 1) they divorce us from reality (we only see life through the lens of the ideology), and they divorce us from ourselves (we lose touch with our own deeply held convictions that differ from that which we are taught).

Everyday I see in the news radical acts prompted by ideologies: suicide bombings, wars, oppression of anothers freedoms and/or rights, dehumanization, even acts and behaviors that contradict the precepts of the ideology done in the name of the ideology!

Humans seem completely blind, and seem incapable of, recognizing when an ideology is at work in our thinking.

For me personally, I often ask myself this question: why am I resistant to exposing myself to any given information out there? What do I fear, learnig something that might question my world view? If so, I take it as an indicator that I am livIng with an ideology.

To me, all knowledge is good knowledge! Also, all knowledge must continually be questioned and held to the light of public scrutiny. If I cannot defend my position before critics, then I have to consider their objections and use them to challenge/refine my thinking. In short, I reserve the right to learn from everyone, regardless of their world view.

#760957 - 02/21/12 09:45 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks

Loc: Edmonton, AB Canada
Hey James, isn’t this a hijack? (Sorry couldn’t resist, reference your comment re. hijacking in the RIP thread. wink )

I know, I often lament the apparent decline in critical thinking skills in our current society. We seem to be loosing our ability for observational analysis, the ability to indentify pros and cons of a subject, and to if not understand, then at least recognize, various perspectives.

Early in his career Stephen Colbert coined the term, “Truthiness – The quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts.” I think that mindset drives more and more people these days; facts just get in the way of the truth.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.

#760990 - 02/21/12 12:36 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: beemerman2k]
Living the Dream Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: beemerman2k
Just this very moment: Sitting in a Walmart parking lot checking my email when a Latina woman with a car full of kids pulls up to my door. I thought she was parking her car and I wondered why she chose to park so close to me. Then the windows came down and the kids started waving "Watch Tower" magazines at me. "Oh, I get it now, she isnt parking, she's proselytizing!".

Even Jehovah Witnesses have a world view to sell us. Is it the right world view? It is to some, and that's fine with me. Glad they found a place where they can be happy.

Hehe, look at the Bourbon Street Webcam and notice the redshirts. They ain't selling booze!
Richard
"Right now, there is someone that is busier than you working out!"

#761048 - 02/21/12 05:25 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
Huzband Offline

Loc: Cowford, Fl.
Interesting how this thread has moved from how we decide on & hold icons to a Bible bashing/questioning rant, mostly based on a total misunderstanding of the text.

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'04 Sherco 2.9 (Sherpa)
'97 KTM 400 R/XCe
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

#761058 - 02/21/12 05:55 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
Or, perhaps, on a lucid understanding of it!

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#761064 - 02/21/12 06:58 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: moshe_levy]
MT Wallet Offline

Loc: North 'Freezin', Dakota
Originally Posted By: moshe_levy

-MKL

Uh, No it's not. I know you'd like to think it is but it's bashing the bible and by extension Christians and Jews who beleive in it. No ifs, ands or buts.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.-unattributed.

#761067 - 02/21/12 07:10 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: MT Wallet]
Huzband Offline

Loc: Cowford, Fl.
Originally Posted By: MT Wallet

-MKL

Uh, No it's not. I know you'd like to think it is but it's bashing the bible and by extension Christians and Jews who beleive in it. No ifs, ands or buts.

Thank you. Yours & texasaggie97 have been the only educated responses I've seen in this thread.

Edited by Huzband (02/21/12 07:13 PM)

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'04 Sherco 2.9 (Sherpa)
'97 KTM 400 R/XCe
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

#761071 - 02/21/12 07:21 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: MT Wallet]
KDeline Offline

Originally Posted By: MT Wallet

-MKL

I call it asking hard hitting questions that are not being answered. Wonder why?

Page 8 of 32 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 32 >