BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 20 of 30 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
#760492 - 02/18/12 05:41 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Limecreek]
Limecreek Offline
Quick Lube

Loc: Leander, TX
Quick update....

Tail is down, new rear strut is in.

Today, I worked solo. I concentrated on cleaning up and installing the brake calipers, changing the brake pads, renewing rusty fasteners and reinstalling the rear master cylinder.

New brake lines were next on the list. I purchased a Galfer kit for the R1100RS. The rear line went in without a fuss, but one of the front lines is turning out to be a PITA.

This fitting will not stop leaking.
mad

Galfer used a two sided male adapter of sorts. Using adapters allows Galfer to use the same brake line for several models, I assume. Galfer, you did not think this one through did you?

The other complaint I have is at the other end of the same brake line where it mates up to the brass tee fitting at the front wheel. Oh, and by the way, it was mislabeled as the master cylinder line. Anyway, another poorly though out design. For $200 I was expecting much more.

If you are considering brake line replacements, I'd advise you skip over Galfer.

The bike is 85% complete - I need to think about paint.

Cheers!

#760524 - 02/18/12 08:26 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Limecreek]
r77toy Offline

Is the fitting leaking on the side with the copper washer?
If so, I think that's a tapered seat fitting, the washer may be keeping the seats to seal.

#760600 - 02/19/12 02:00 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: r77toy]
Limecreek Offline
Quick Lube

Google is my friend. I am not the first to experience leaks with Galfers. The consensus was to renew the copper crush washer on the left side of the adapter and to torque to 16 foot pounds.

The leak is fixed.

I need to go back let the air out to cure the spongy front lever.

Cheers!

#760671 - 02/20/12 12:53 AM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Limecreek]
SKYGZR Offline

Loc: Planet Earth, Orion Spur, Milk...
You probably won't get the front fender on with the elbow you have pictured. I ordered a set of HEL, and...wound up sending back, WITH THE ORIGINAL, to get that elbow fitting corrected.

HEL was great (fixed/relaced no hassle,no charge), and the new lines (using the stockers for reference), fit great.
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,41,690mi. New Ride
'02Hayabusa,3rd Owner,24,335mi.
Spring/Summer Commuter/"Play Machine"

#760685 - 02/20/12 06:07 AM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: SKYGZR]
Limecreek Offline
Quick Lube

Ugh. The line is still leaking. I tried removing the crush washer and using the brass disk that came with the kit. Without instructions I am guessing about the intended use of the disk, but it did seal the left side of the adapter. It is the right side of the two sided male adapter that refuses to seal.

I'll give Galfer customer service a call.

I wonder if Spiegler sells individual lines?

#760703 - 02/20/12 08:04 AM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Limecreek]
Selden Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Probably not recommended procedure, but what about stacking 2 fresh copper washers? Could the problem be that the fitting is bottoming out without actually compressing the washer?

#760793 - 02/20/12 02:53 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Selden]
SKYGZR Offline

Loc: Planet Earth, Orion Spur, Milk...
Have you tried fitting the front fender aka: "mud guard" (both pieces) yet? You may want to do that...chasing your leak may do you no good if you find that it's gonna require removing that line for a re-work.
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,41,690mi. New Ride
'02Hayabusa,3rd Owner,24,335mi.
Spring/Summer Commuter/"Play Machine"

#760859 - 02/20/12 07:29 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: SKYGZR]
Limecreek Offline
Quick Lube

I pulled the leaky line without a fender test fit. The leaky, poorly designed Galfer line went into the scrap bin.

After three follow-up calls to Galfer (I guess they don't like talking to customers), I decided to call Spiegler.

Spiegler is going to build me a replacement line that does not require an adapter and has the correct bend for the brass tee fitting.

I should have gone with them to begin with.

#762303 - 02/27/12 05:11 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Limecreek]
Limecreek Offline
Quick Lube

Quick report - no pictures.

Out of town this week, but managed to get the header packed up and sent off to Jet Hot in OKC before I departed. It is due back in a couple of weeks.

The front brake line from Spiegler is inbound.

We started to disassemble and clean the throttle bodies and will rebuild them with the kit Dan sent me.

The stock factory exhaust will not go back on the bike. Are there any opinions on the Laser or Two Bros. pipes? I do not want obnoxiously load.

Cheers!

#762311 - 02/27/12 05:38 PM Re: New Life for an old RSL continues... [Re: Limecreek]
Dave Wood Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Limecreek
Quick report - no pictures.

Out of town this week, but managed to get the header packed up and sent off to Jet Hot in OKC before I departed. It is due back in a couple of weeks.

The front brake line from Spiegler is inbound.

We started to disassemble and clean the throttle bodies and will rebuild them with the kit Dan sent me.

The stock factory exhaust will not go back on the bike. Are there any opinions on the Laser or Two Bros. pipes? I do not want obnoxiously load.

Cheers!

No experience with Laser but the Two Brothers is LOUD. I have a Remus on my RT - very nice rumble at low RPMS, has a nice bark when red lined - not obnoxious. From the seat it has a lower noise level than the honk that comes from a set of GS intake runners that were on the bike. My last RT had a Staintune on it. It had about the same sound level as the Remus, a little better looking on the bike but not as light as the Remus.

Dave

"Never make the mistake of thinking
that you know everything about anything"

Page 20 of 30 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29 30 >