BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#763186 - 03/02/12 09:58 AM DNR Tattoo
Selden Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Randy's post about cadaver parts reminded me of something that I think about intermittently, but have never acted on. My father had a stroke at age 67, was put on a ventilator, and died 3 months later. Two years ago, my father-in-law was put on a ventilator for 10 days, and was obviously short of a few brain cells after they weaned him and took him out of a drug-induced coma. I have very strong feelings about never wanting to do this. I'm nearly 66, and I could die tomorrow with no regrets. Living to 90 is not near the top of my list of things to do.

There must be some physicians and EMT people here, so I'm going to ask for your opinions on a tattoo for emergency treatment. I already wear a RoadID bracelet when I ride, but I have been trying to decide for years whether to get a tattoo on my chest, right above where I think my heart is. Either NO CPR or DNR. The main thing that has stopped me to date is distaste for tattoos and tattoo parlors.

What say you?

#763189 - 03/02/12 10:09 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
Mister Tee Offline

Loc: Northern California
Your call I guess. I'm not opposed to putting on some sort of permanent medical instruction if one deems it necessary.

Tattoos aren't my thing, and I completely despise them on women.

#763190 - 03/02/12 10:11 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
TEWKS Offline

Loc: Tewksbury, MA.
I like the idea but it wouldn't stop a Massachusetts EMT from pumping & blowing. That just sounds wrong! smirk ( performing CPR)

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/provider/guide...e-overview.html

Pat

#763192 - 03/02/12 10:16 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
Mike Offline

Administrator

Loc: Chicago area, IL, USA
It's questionable whether something like that would have any legal effect . . . unless an advance directive meets the legal requirements in the state where your health disaster occurs, the attending physicians would be unlikely to heed your tattooed request. Remember, there is a wide range of possible intervention--for instance, ask yourself if you would not want CPR performed if you suffered a survivable heart attack.

Prepare an advance directive (you can find them in a lot of places on line). Ask your primary care doc to put it in your medical records. If you're concerned about this occurring far from home, carry a copy, as well as your donor card, in your wallet.

Edited by Mike (03/02/12 10:18 AM)

#763194 - 03/02/12 10:21 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
Firefight911 Offline
Sparkle Farkle

Loc: Folsom, CA
It won't work. As a Captain/Paramedic I would see that, laugh (on the inside), and instruct my team to continue to resuscitate. Only a valid DNR or Durable Power of Attorney is acceptable with instructions as to what your wishes are is acceptable for us to terminate efforts.

Get a DNR, carry copies with you, get a medic ID alert bracelet and wear it with instructions that you have a DNR and to look for it on your person. Put a copy in the glove box, your wallet, give a copy to your loved ones, posted it on your fridge, etc. In the absence of this document we are bound by implied consent to perform all manner of efforts to revive you within our scope of practice. To do any less would be gross negligence.

'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'13 Yamaha WR2250R
'14 GMC Denali HD Crew w/ 6 liter gas motor
'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

#763196 - 03/02/12 10:22 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart

Loc: Sykesville, MD
"I have very strong feelings about never wanting to do this. I'm nearly 66, and I could die tomorrow with no regrets. Living to 90 is not near the top of my list of things to do"

I've couldn't have said it better - and I'm a lot closer to 90 than you are. Even so I just read related to Social Security/Medicare expenses, that the estimate for anyone around 80 and in good health is 95. I wouldn't mind if I can still ride grin .
Between my wife and I all we have is the will and instructions to each other.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter

#763197 - 03/02/12 10:23 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Mike]
Selden Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Mike
It's questionable whether something like that would have any legal effect . . . unless an advance directive meets the legal requirements in the state where your health disaster occurs, the attending physicians would be unlikely to heed your tattooed request....

Prepare an advance directive (you can find them in a lot of places on line). Ask your primary care doc to put it in your medical records. If you're concerned about this occurring far from home, carry a copy, as well as your donor card, in your wallet.

Lack of confidence that a tattoo would make any meaningful difference is probably the main thing holding me back.

Advanced directive, check. In medical records, check. Organ donor status is on the back of my driver's license. I have a routine appointment with my PCP Monday morning.

#763202 - 03/02/12 10:32 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
BFish Offline

Loc: Melbourne, FL
may have to have a signed, notarized legal doc tat under the DNR tat. very interesting thought. this way of notifying the med folks will end up in court.

it makes a lot of sense.

"Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or the subordination of principle."

2004 RT (Silver)

#763203 - 03/02/12 10:39 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
OoPEZoO Offline

Loc: Amish Country, PA
Interesting thought Selden. I'll have to run this by my Wife this evening and see what she has to say. Her DNR patients are often a source of conversation.

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)

#763204 - 03/02/12 10:41 AM Re: DNR Tattoo [Re: Selden]
pbharvey Offline

Loc: Highland, MD
Originally Posted By: Selden

Advanced directive, check.

You'll want to make sure your loved ones know where you keep, and have access to, a certified copy. I had the unfortunate experience of facing an EMT team in my mom's bedroom asking me if she had an advanced medical directive and I told them yes...but I didn't know where it was. I have to think that this is a common occurrence especially during a crisis.

...When I saw this thread I thought you were contemplating getting a Department of Natural Resources tattoo. smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >