IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

I wired up the KTM for long distance riding then road it to work.

It looks like I will be riding it to AZ on Thursday to meet up wit the gang.

:wave:

It cost more than $40 to fill it up.

did a complete brake fluid flush on my '04 RT, then because I was appalled at it's hideous appearance without the plastic, took the cover off my '74 R90s and stared at it like it was a Picasso hanging in the Guggenheim.

Cleared my head.

RPG

did a complete brake fluid flush on my '04 RT, then because I was appalled at it's hideous appearance without the plastic, took the cover off my '74 R90s and stared at it like it was a Picasso hanging in the Guggenheim.

Cleared my head.

RPG

:thumbsup:

A naked RT is truly ugly, especially compared to an R90S.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Well, I've been riding a lot. Yesterday I discovered that my rear shock is leaking. Today I discovered that it has been so completely sacked for so long that the loss of oil didn't change much.

Edited by b o n e y
Danny caddyshack Noonan

Check out ride Sunday showed no problems with the FD.

Rode to work and assumed my parking spot at the end of the row next to Sacto929's GS.

CoarsegoldKid

Today I took the Ducati out for a ride. I think my BMW was very sad because the front shock has been in the shop for 5 days. Wonderful weather we're having. I understand that next Monday we're going to get our third day of Winter for the year.

I got back to putting Stoner together from the Spline lube, clutch change and trans seal replacement. It is getting to look more and more of a bike again but, I have had my continuing issues with AAADD. I finally found the hose clamp for the intake air grommet that I misplaced and oh, the 30 mm socket also was left right where I put it! The good news is that my parts box is nearly empty. Maybe start up tomorrow?!! I hope so, The oil needs changing! :)

Changed eng, trans, and FD oils. Valve check, was spot on. TB Sync check. Was just a little out, so thought I would attempt to make it better. Taking out the BBS, the right side came right out, cleaned it, and put it back in no problems. The left side, the BBS wouldn't budge. Almost stripped the head before I gave up. Any ideas why it would be so tight? It is not bottomed out. It is roughly 1.5 to 2 turns out (can't remember from last sync.). After coming to the conclusion that I have been beaten, I unhook my manometer only to find the right tube laying against the header and melted through. The TB sync was probably fine to begin with. I should have quit while I was ahead. Ordering a new bbs before I try to get this one out.

Gee, where to begn....

Rode with Jimmy Lewis, hung out with Manuel Lucheese (youngest Dakar entrant this year at 23), hung with Brian Catterson from Motorcyclist.....

Oh, and watched as Jimmy Lewis took my Super Tenere for a ride on only the back wheel for about a quarter mile on the desert dry lake bed we played on.

Ride Tale to come on this amazing Dakar, errr, Death Valley weekend!!!!!

Let's see, first we had Perry King, now Jimmy Lewis & Brian Catterson. Toss in Jay Leno and I'm really gonna hate you! ;):grin:

:lurk:

Pat

Until pics....well, you know.

:lurk:

Manuel Lucchese and Brian Catterson

P1010535-L.jpg

Heather and Jimmy Lewis

P1010452-L.jpg

Super Tenere

P1010496-L.jpg

Cool !!!

Jim is a funny guy. Every time I've seen him the guy sports a different style facial hair :grin: This "unabomber" look is something new :rofl:

--

Mikko

Replaced a cracked peg plate on Eileen's 1100, and took it for a short ride to make sure everything is good before we sell it. Eileen rode the the 110 while I took our son's Suzuki GS500F out to stretch its legs (while he is off at college). A fun bike!

Also got the 1150s out for a short lunch ride. This may have been the longest that they have been idle in a long time. It was beautiful out today.

I rode it like I stole it! With my spline lube, clutch change to RT pack and a new trans. input seal, I think I have created a Monster!

Rode west on I-70 from 470, took Evergreen Parkway exit to Evergreen (duh), rode 74 into Morrison, stopped at Tony Rigatoni's for a Guinness on the outdoor patio, kissed my RT and drove home :thumbsup:

Crossed into the USA from Mexicali, oh, after installing a spare fuel pump controller, then El Centro, Julian and a nice dinner, and on to Escondido.

About 90 in El Centro and probably 50 in Julian. And one very nice road (78) in and out of Julian, a nice part of it after dark.

dc

Don Beissel

Fought nasty south wind gusts while riding 85 miles too and from work. I am whipped. 55 mile an hour crosswinds are just not any fun.

Saved some money by doing my own full brake fluid flush and bleed on my 05 R12GS. Spent some money by authorizing replacement of the complete fuel pump assembly on my 07 R12RT after bad fuel leak caused by a crack in the fuel pump assembly flange (the BMW shop won!!) :(

Fired my R90s up Friday night after a long winter's nap. Why does this old Airhead with simple point and condenser, and carbs always fire instantly while my high tech, fuel injected, Motronic controlled, dual spark RT, cranks over for what seems forever.

Anyway, I digress....Rode Sat morning to a buddy's house to have him weld my new kickstand pin in place. He even fixed the missing piece from the kickstand foot (God, aren't welders talented!), then home to install eveything and touch up the frame area.

After all that dried, went for a long ride to visit my parents and brother at the cemetery and then somehow ended up near Ann Arbor.

Old BMW's just have a way of taking me somewhere that I sometimes can't recall how I got there. Bike ran flawless with it's new 1st over pistons and I'm excited about a Blue Ridge Trip this spring.

RPG

I left Brookings at 3:45 p.m. yesterday knowing that I would be unable to cross the mountains from Oregon into California on I-5 due to snow....soooo I rode the coast down in 35-45 mile an hour winds with gusts up to change the diaper , rain light to moderate. Turns out that Highway

299 and 36 is out due to the same reason. Rolled into Willits last night about 8 p.m. and got a simple room with wii-fii at the Pine Cone Motel, Well, when I woke this morning the sky had opened up with glee and the rain looks like it is here to stay. Time to finish the coffee pack my few belongings and ride Highway 20 from Clear Lake to Williams on the I-5... at which time I shall ride north to Lake Shasta, where I have a appointment with (__________)

I will fill the blanks after the appointment.

Tomorrow I

I made a phone call to Sargent this morning, very good discount going on this week. I saved a hundred & thirty bucks & no shipping charge. Pics next week.

Pat

Went on a brew tour.

Started at St. Somewhere in Tarpon Springs, FL. What an amazingly friendly group! I showed up unannounced and right after they finished bottling the latest batch and I got invited in to sample and shoot the bull like they've known me for years. Bob & the crew are making some great saisons. I got invited to lunch and should have gone cuz my next stop wasn't open! 7venth Sun is closed on Mondays as is Dunedin Brewery. So, on to Largo. Got a great po' boy and then hit up a new brewery, Barley Mow, that isn't brewing yet (awaiting license still). Had one from Swamp Head (Gainesville, FL) then on to Willard's Tap House. Forty taps of amazing goodness. Had a Cold Storage Brewing Co. Brown Ale - another local product - then headed for Cigar City for a new Baltic Porter I heard about from the St. Somewhere folks.

That's what I did for 12 hours on my bike yesterday. And I'm doing it again tomorrow. clap

roadscholar

Have a couple of the GS seats (1150 & 1200) and like them, one of their better seats IMO.

Continuing Tank's fill in the blanks theme, on Sunday I met up with _____ _____ (member here) who was down with some friends and camping in central Fla. It was his first bike week and deciding he wasn't all that interested in mud wrestling, cabbage wrestling, or even midget wrestling, we went out in search of old Florida. After I blasted past without seeing him in Barberville, he chased us down and caught up in Astor. Hugs all around, we hadn't seen him since the last El Paseo I think, where I do remember him saying "you were very lucky to find a woman like that with such poor judgement". :grin:

Colette and I were on the 800 and he was on his big ____. We rode up the east side of the river thru a couple state forests then took the ferry across and rode some of the smaller scenic trails in Ocala National Forest since the prior day's rains had made the sandier sections tolerable. Then we stopped and walked around in one of the several springs in that area. The first day of daylight saving time was a good one, we made it back to Astor about dark and had some good seafood outside on the water, all in all a great day.

Rode the dual-sport into the back country to check out mountain bike trailhead locations. Switching to people-powered two wheels this afternoon.

[quote=roadscholar

]Have a couple of the GS seats (1150 & 1200) and like them, one of their better seats IMO.

Good to hear, thanks Bill. Marty Hill let me toss a leg over his bike and I thought the seat felt great.

Pat

lawnchairboy

changed this:

smugshot6379031-L.jpg

to this:

smugshot2419813-L.jpg

there was a bunch of crap/corrosion under the FPC where it plugged in, the screws from the old FPC had a good bit of corrosion on them. A little sealant on the new underside gasket and hopefully, now no side of the road repair in the future.... knock on wood. old one is in the tool kit in case.

SteveHebert

Installed the Uni-go mount, changed back to stock exhaust, installed a centech AP-1 (why did I wait so long to do that?), got the pillion seat back from Sargents (one day turn around), and washed the RT.

Going for a 340 mile ride today to retrieve my side cases that I left behind last week at a friends shop.

Life is good!

Saga continues , Left Willits in the pouring rain and made good time to a few miles shy of Glenhaven on hiway 20 where my rear tire slowly deflated, quickly put bike on side stand and using air compressed found a rock (?) slash. Two CalTrans worked stopped and one had Hillside Honda on his speed dial. Cool they had a PR 3 in stock and KOA Towing had me at the repair door by 11:00 am.... 12:30 I'm on the road. A heart felt thank to the workers Ken and Jim ...Fishers towing out of Clearlake.... and the fine folks at Hillside Honda, Pulled into Shasta Lake and got a room at Fawncove cabins last night and to day Russel Day-Long is fitting my bike with a new saddle... Its still pouring rain out and I'm in the Library as I type this

Kenny Haynes

Thanks for the ONF tour Bill! Great trails and great to see both of you again. Old rural Florida is really cool.

Can't ride till after my knee surgery but I can work on the RT.

Changed gearbox oil, Removed wheels,checked rear disc flang for cracks,none, cleaned them and went and had the PR3's mounted at a local shop. Fast and reasonable. I'll use this guy again. His 2 garages-shops were bigger than his house :thumbsup:

Since it was a nice 75 degree day I then went to the newer BMW store to get some little things. Good help must be hard to find as the very young parts guy could not find gear box crush washers and told me that I needed a trans code before he could find them :dopeslap: After 2 other parts he couldn't find I gave up and went to check the new rides on my way out. Not one soul in the showroom and I spent 10 minutes there.Do new RT's really cost $24,000???

Got home, fired up MAX BMW's parts and found out that there are no replacement washers for the trans as BMW wants you to buy new plugs but a BMW part number was listed as a side note to washers that will work.What a great place for this kind of info. Guess Junior needs to learn how to research better.

My order of Specto oil had arrived so I cleaned out the cabinet, installed new cardboard mat and stocked up. Included was a cool Spectro oil catalog , something to read at PT. :rofl:

Everywhere I have traveled this last three day have stressed the need to carry chains or traction tires, when in fact Pontoons would have been more appropriate. Heavy rains leaving Shasta Lake, tapered off dropping into the Rogue Valley , than the rain came back with a vengeance on 199. The Smith River was in flood (awesome) and the coast is WET. Somewhere in there my Roadcrafter leaked for the first time in short term memory... thats what I did on my bike

Loaded the bike this evening with tools to be ready to leave the garage at 0600. Plan is to stop for breakfast, then be at Herman's in Edgewater early enough to have the rear shock out before he gets to his shop at 9:30-10:00. Then I'll be ready to rock-n-roll, but with much less rock.

After that, maybe a test ride of a K16, then on to the short track races. :thumbsup:

Checked the alternator belt on Eileen's 1150 because her battery light came on as we returned home from a ride last weekend. Found that the belt was shredded. Sigh...

Fixed the left mirror on my 1150. The plastic posts that hold the swivelly part (that's the technical term, right?) to the housing had all broken. I decided just to glue it back on with some of Eileen's strong jewelry cement. So far, it seems to be working.

Removed the Jesse's from the F650. Thought about installing the ROX risers I picked up on Friday. Went for a short ride on the RT instead.

Edited by Bullett

Using a RAM mount I borrowed from Keith, I wired the new to me Garmin to the RT yesterday afternoon. Learned the very basics of Mapsource this morning and created my first route, through some roads I have already ridden. Watched NC State beat Geougretown (Go Wolfpack) and then geared up to go for a ride.

But then there was Santa. I was riding up the first of the nice roads, stuck behind a gaggle of cagers, led by the one slow one. Several vehicles in front of me though was a bike and the rider had a Santa hat on in addition to his helmet. Couple of miles later, the intervening cagers had gotten out of the way and we pulled up to the last light for a while and he motions me up next to him. His license plate is Santa and he has a Billy Gibbons type white beard.

Asks me if I am headed up towards Prettyboy Reservoir, which is actually where my route was going to take me, so I said yes. He takes point and I follow him on up there. As I go over the bridge at the reservoir, the bike felt kind of funny, so I stopped at a parking lot on the other side to check air pressure on the tires, all is good so I start up again, and in half a mile or so, here comes Santa back to check on me. We stop together again, and talk, and I end up following him for ten more miles or so, over some roads he really likes.

He obviously did a lot of group riding, because he kept signaling with his hands, and as I figured out a little later, even with his feet! I just thought he was stretching his right leg, but I finally figured out that if there was some gravel or a pothole to his right as he rode past, he would point with his right foot so I would know it was there.

We got one more chance to talk for a minute, and then our routes diverged. The Garmin was truly pissed off at me at that point, so I tried to follow it's advice as much as possible on the ride home.

All in all, a very nice ride.

Saga continues , Left Willits in the pouring rain and made good time to a few miles shy of Glenhaven on hiway 20 where my rear tire slowly deflated, quickly put bike on side stand and using air compressed found a rock (?) slash. Two CalTrans worked stopped and one had Hillside Honda on his speed dial. Cool they had a PR 3 in stock and KOA Towing had me at the repair door by 11:00 am.... 12:30 I'm on the road. A heart felt thank to the workers Ken and Jim ...Fishers towing out of Clearlake.... and the fine folks at Hillside Honda, Pulled into Shasta Lake and got a room at Fawncove cabins last night and to day Russel Day-Long is fitting my bike with a new saddle... Its still pouring rain out and I'm in the Library as I type this

Bill, You are going to like that seat! I have one on my GSA and my Dakar, DELUXE.