BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#763708 - 03/04/12 07:56 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Evening bobbybob

I really don't know. The early 2009 had the old (silver) FPCs & those failed.
When the switch over happened I can't say as so many of those have been changed that I don't know what bikes still have the originals & what ones donít.

Even after the powder coated later (black) FPCs came out some dealers still had stock on the older ones & sold them till out of stock.

If your bike doesn't have a radio just pop the L/H radio close out panel off the top of the L/H upper fairing & use a light to look at the FPC. If itís silver put your worry hat on. If itís black relax & ride off into the sunset.

#763723 - 03/04/12 09:36 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: dirtrider]
markgoodrich Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: dirtrider
Evening bobbybob

When the switch over happened I can't say as so many of those have been changed that I don't know what bikes still have the originals & what ones donít.

Even after the powder coated later (black) FPCs came out some dealers still had stock on the older ones & sold them till out of stock.

If your bike doesn't have a radio just pop the L/H radio close out panel off the top of the L/H upper fairing & use a light to look at the FPC. If itís silver put your worry hat on. If itís black relax & ride off into the sunset.

Same part number as the silver one? I've got a jumper, but would much rather have a fail-safer new controller in the bike, with the currently working silver one at the bottom of the glove box.

#763729 - 03/04/12 09:53 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: markgoodrich]
TeSmSp Offline

Loc: Simi Valley, Kalifornystan
Is this the part you guys are talking about?

MAX BMW has it for $131.59

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51560&rnd=03252011

#763736 - 03/04/12 11:24 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]
David13 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA (Lomita)
Thanks to all for the participation. And most of all to Gordon for a long ride, albeit in nice weather, but with high winds.
I got across the border about 3 and got to Escondido after a nice dinner in Julian.
Like I told Gordon, next time is my turn to go for the rescue.
I'm tempted to buy two controllers, but if there is a new one out, according to DR, maybe this is one that won't be so failure prone.
If someone else wants to buy a new one, I'll purchase the old unit still working to carry as a spare, for someone else.
I was carrying all the tools I needed which really is just a small kit.
DR is also right about space to change the unit.
At first when it stalled out in Tecate, I was able to pull to the side of the street and into a parking lot.
But on 2D to the east, first I had a very small shoulder, on a steep incline, against a rock wall. But after a while it fired up and I got 20 miles further. Then I was able to pull into a rest area/overlook so I had real nice scenery. Til dark, when I had to walk down the road, no shoulder, speeding downhill traffic to a blue phone. Almost immediately two guys with a trailer showed up and hauled me into Mexicali, near the border crossing.
In all fairness, I had an offer on advrider also. Bruce, in El Centro, offered a trailer, garage, and he could cross the border or whatever was needed.
dc

#763801 - 03/05/12 09:42 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: dirtrider]
DaveinNCMn Offline

Loc: NC Minn.
Evening bobbybob

FWIW, my 09 was built in May or June of 09 and has the black FPC.
06 Yamaha Roadliner S

#763809 - 03/05/12 10:36 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]
David13 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA (Lomita)
There's a recall on the controller. But it's only on the GS bikes. But it's the same part on the RTs, and probably other bikes as well.
That's a bit shabby.
How do those GS guys rate better?
DR, are there failures on the new updated part? The black ones?
dc

#763815 - 03/05/12 10:51 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: David13]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Originally Posted By: David13

DR, are there failures on the new updated part? The black ones?
dc

Morning David

I'm sure there must be but I personally don't know of any in my group or riding friends & we (as a group) used to fail the silver ones on a regular basis. I haven't seen anybody claim a failed Black FPC on this site either.

On all (the new FPCs) that I have installed I use a dab of dielectric grease on the top & seal of the upper 3 wire connector. I also fold that wire harness so it doesn't go straight down into the connector (might call it a drip loop)

The failed FPC's I have dissected all seem to show signs of water intrusion. A guess on may part is the FPC heats up during use & if any water present in or on that upper 3 wire connecter the FPC sucks that moisture in as it cools.

Added: if you want to flood an FPC with water just use a strong stream of water from a hose to clean bugs off you oil cooler.

Edited by dirtrider (03/05/12 10:55 AM)

#763818 - 03/05/12 11:01 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]
Fubar Offline

Loc: Sarasota, FL
Glad to see the board rally to help a stranded member. You guys & gals rock!
Of course, now I have an issue to worry about with a very early '09 in the garage. Damn.

Mark is currently on the road to Castle Anthrax. Please leave your message after the beep.

#763824 - 03/05/12 11:33 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: dirtrider]
Dave_in_TX Offline

Loc: Austin TX
While carrying a spare FPC or jumper harness is a good idea, anybody still running the old silver FPC & traveling on major congested freeways at night or to areas with no safe road pull-offs, it is in their best interest to buy the new release (powder coated black) FPC.

Just no good safe way to remove the L/H tupperware & change out a failed FPC on the side of a major hiway at night without a safe pull off area.

Basically if you have the old sliver (bare aluminum) (short pig tail) FPC it's probably going to quit on you at sometime. Itís just a matter of when & where.

The time to replace the silver FPC is while it's still working as that not only gives you a more robust & hardy new design FPC but the removed one (that WAS working) makes a great spare to carry.

What makes the new design more robust? I'm curious because my 07 RT with 135k on it is still using the original FPC.

#763827 - 03/05/12 11:46 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: Dave_in_TX]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Originally Posted By: Dave_in_TX
----
What makes the new design more robust?----

Afternoon Dave

I really can't say, but I have seen failed low fined silver ones & as of yet not seen one failed tall fin black one.

The one's I have taken apart seem to be moisture related failures but that is just a guess based on the ones I have taken apart.

There must be a difference or BMW wouldn't have updated them.

As far as I can tell the silver ones work just great right up to the time they don't. Then you are walking.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >