Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#763708 - 03/05/12 01:56 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Evening bobbybob

I really don't know. The early 2009 had the old (silver) FPCs & those failed.
When the switch over happened I can't say as so many of those have been changed that I don't know what bikes still have the originals & what ones donít.

Even after the powder coated later (black) FPCs came out some dealers still had stock on the older ones & sold them till out of stock.

If your bike doesn't have a radio just pop the L/H radio close out panel off the top of the L/H upper fairing & use a light to look at the FPC. If itís silver put your worry hat on. If itís black relax & ride off into the sunset.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#763723 - 03/05/12 03:36 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: dirtrider]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: dirtrider
Evening bobbybob

When the switch over happened I can't say as so many of those have been changed that I don't know what bikes still have the originals & what ones donít.

Even after the powder coated later (black) FPCs came out some dealers still had stock on the older ones & sold them till out of stock.

If your bike doesn't have a radio just pop the L/H radio close out panel off the top of the L/H upper fairing & use a light to look at the FPC. If itís silver put your worry hat on. If itís black relax & ride off into the sunset.

Same part number as the silver one? I've got a jumper, but would much rather have a fail-safer new controller in the bike, with the currently working silver one at the bottom of the glove box.

2016 R1200RT

#763729 - 03/05/12 03:53 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: markgoodrich]  
TeSmSp Offline
TeSmSp  Offline

Simi Valley, Kalifornystan
Is this the part you guys are talking about?

MAX BMW has it for $131.59

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51560&rnd=03252011

2007 R1200RT
#763736 - 03/05/12 05:24 AM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]  
David13 Offline
David13  Offline

Utah
Thanks to all for the participation. And most of all to Gordon for a long ride, albeit in nice weather, but with high winds.
I got across the border about 3 and got to Escondido after a nice dinner in Julian.
Like I told Gordon, next time is my turn to go for the rescue.
I'm tempted to buy two controllers, but if there is a new one out, according to DR, maybe this is one that won't be so failure prone.
If someone else wants to buy a new one, I'll purchase the old unit still working to carry as a spare, for someone else.
I was carrying all the tools I needed which really is just a small kit.
DR is also right about space to change the unit.
At first when it stalled out in Tecate, I was able to pull to the side of the street and into a parking lot.
But on 2D to the east, first I had a very small shoulder, on a steep incline, against a rock wall. But after a while it fired up and I got 20 miles further. Then I was able to pull into a rest area/overlook so I had real nice scenery. Til dark, when I had to walk down the road, no shoulder, speeding downhill traffic to a blue phone. Almost immediately two guys with a trailer showed up and hauled me into Mexicali, near the border crossing.
In all fairness, I had an offer on advrider also. Bruce, in El Centro, offered a trailer, garage, and he could cross the border or whatever was needed.
dc

#763801 - 03/05/12 03:42 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: dirtrider]  
DaveinNCMn Offline
DaveinNCMn  Offline

NC Minn.
Evening bobbybob

FWIW, my 09 was built in May or June of 09 and has the black FPC.

12 Star Raider S
09 M1100S Ducati
09 R1200RT
06 Yamaha Roadliner S

#763809 - 03/05/12 04:36 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]  
David13 Offline
David13  Offline

Utah
There's a recall on the controller. But it's only on the GS bikes. But it's the same part on the RTs, and probably other bikes as well.
That's a bit shabby.
How do those GS guys rate better?
DR, are there failures on the new updated part? The black ones?
dc

#763815 - 03/05/12 04:51 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: David13]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: David13

DR, are there failures on the new updated part? The black ones?
dc

Morning David

I'm sure there must be but I personally don't know of any in my group or riding friends & we (as a group) used to fail the silver ones on a regular basis. I haven't seen anybody claim a failed Black FPC on this site either.

On all (the new FPCs) that I have installed I use a dab of dielectric grease on the top & seal of the upper 3 wire connector. I also fold that wire harness so it doesn't go straight down into the connector (might call it a drip loop)

The failed FPC's I have dissected all seem to show signs of water intrusion. A guess on may part is the FPC heats up during use & if any water present in or on that upper 3 wire connecter the FPC sucks that moisture in as it cools.

Added: if you want to flood an FPC with water just use a strong stream of water from a hose to clean bugs off you oil cooler.

Last edited by dirtrider; 03/05/12 04:55 PM.

D.R. ___
#763818 - 03/05/12 05:01 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: LBump]  
Fubar Offline
Fubar  Offline

Sarasota, FL
Glad to see the board rally to help a stranded member. You guys & gals rock!
Of course, now I have an issue to worry about with a very early '09 in the garage. Damn.

Silver '09 R1200RT (the Voot cruiser)
Go BLUE!
bibere artis cervisia

Mark is currently on the road to Castle Anthrax. Please leave your message after the beep.
#763824 - 03/05/12 05:33 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: dirtrider]  
Dave_in_TX Offline
Dave_in_TX  Offline

Austin TX
While carrying a spare FPC or jumper harness is a good idea, anybody still running the old silver FPC & traveling on major congested freeways at night or to areas with no safe road pull-offs, it is in their best interest to buy the new release (powder coated black) FPC.

Just no good safe way to remove the L/H tupperware & change out a failed FPC on the side of a major hiway at night without a safe pull off area.

Basically if you have the old sliver (bare aluminum) (short pig tail) FPC it's probably going to quit on you at sometime. Itís just a matter of when & where.

The time to replace the silver FPC is while it's still working as that not only gives you a more robust & hardy new design FPC but the removed one (that WAS working) makes a great spare to carry.

What makes the new design more robust? I'm curious because my 07 RT with 135k on it is still using the original FPC.

#763827 - 03/05/12 05:46 PM Re: David13 Broken Down In Mexico [Re: Dave_in_TX]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dave_in_TX
----
What makes the new design more robust?----

Afternoon Dave

I really can't say, but I have seen failed low fined silver ones & as of yet not seen one failed tall fin black one.

The one's I have taken apart seem to be moisture related failures but that is just a guess based on the ones I have taken apart.

There must be a difference or BMW wouldn't have updated them.

As far as I can tell the silver ones work just great right up to the time they don't. Then you are walking.

D.R. ___
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9