BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Topic Options
#764708 - 03/09/12 01:54 PM High beam to HID
Urban Surfer Offline

Loc: Surrey British Columbia Canada
Has any one swapped out the H3 bulb on the high beam on a 1150 RT to an HID system? The stock high beam is nearly useless, and it seems very difficult to get out.
I would like to keep the bike clean with out any stuff hanging off like extra lights and brackets.

#764726 - 03/09/12 03:17 PM Re: High beam to HID [Re: Urban Surfer]
AndyS Offline

Loc: Somerset, Great Britain.
Hi Urban.
I have not done it myself, and here's the reason. The main beam lens/reflector combination is where the problem lies, not in the intensity of the lamp.
Aftermarket lamps will not only give a better trow, but will also give a greater spread.
The RT main beam is pretty much a spot light ratehr than a main beam. Sad really.
Andy

#764733 - 03/09/12 03:34 PM Re: High beam to HID [Re: Urban Surfer]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Afternoon Urban Surfer

I addition to what Andy mentioned there is another draw back to using a separate HID for high beam. Most HID's are very slow to ignite & light off so make very poor lights for flash to pass, or use as a high beam flash on warning. They are also slow to emit light when needed in a hurry for sudden danger illumination.

#764854 - 03/10/12 11:46 AM Re: High beam to HID [Re: dirtrider]
lkchris Offline

Loc: NM USA
Originally Posted By: dirtrider
Afternoon Urban Surfer

I addition to what Andy mentioned there is another draw back to using a separate HID for high beam. Most HID's are very slow to ignite & light off so make very poor lights for flash to pass, or use as a high beam flash on warning. They are also slow to emit light when needed in a hurry for sudden danger illumination.

Exactly ... and this is why you'll never see an HID car without halogens for flashers.