BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 24 of 24 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24
Topic Options
#768327 - 03/27/12 09:00 PM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: T.M. Roe]
SeanC Offline
Worst Influence

Loc: San Diego (North Park)
That guy's good. I think he tried to sell me a time-share the last time we went to Hawaii.

Time is contagious. Everybody's getting old.

#768673 - 03/29/12 08:24 PM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: Selden]
Bill_Walker Offline

Loc: San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Selden
Fascinating video, but it ignores the main driver of the debate, by implying that the probabilities of all 4 quadrants are equal.

This is not unlike the "If you don't believe in <name your preferred belief system>, you are going to burn in hell for eternity." Hell sounds like a pretty horrible fate, unless you believe that the probability of hell is near zero. It's like the Dirty Harry question: "Are you feeling lucky, punk? Well are ya?"

What's the probability of your house burning down? It's never happened to me. Do you carry fire insurance? I do. I pay in a bunch of money every year that I hope never to see back, and I'll bet you do, too. Why? Because even though the probability of fire is very small, the consequences are very large.

Not to mention that if you're following the science, the probability of catastrophic climate change is rapidly approaching 100%.
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)

#768681 - 03/29/12 08:56 PM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: Bill_Walker]
Bullett Offline

Loc: Brookings, OR
The insurance industry is concerned about the risk. Linky

07 BMW R1200RT
59 BMW R26
12 Yamaha XTZ12B
07 Suzuki DR650

A girl can't have too many motorcycles!

#768724 - 03/30/12 07:09 AM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: Bullett]
Lineareagle Offline

Loc: ON, Canada
Logic and Common Sense

"Carbon that took billions of years to form has been released in a geological blink of an eye. Human emissions have grown significantly over the past 200 years, and now exceed 27 billion tons of carbon dioxide, annually. To pretend this isnít having any effect on the 12-mile thin atmosphere overhead is to throw all logic and common sense out the window. It is to believe in scientific superstitions and political fairy tales, about a world where actions have no consequences Ė where colorless, odorless gases, the effluence of success and growth, can be waved away with a nod and a smirk. No harm, no foul. Keep drilling."
Paul Douglas.

Paul Douglas

'06 R1200GS Adv

#768746 - 03/30/12 09:20 AM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: Bill_Walker]
Mike Offline

Administrator

Loc: Chicago area, IL, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill_Walker

Not to mention that if you're following the science, the probability of catastrophic climate change is rapidly approaching 100%.

I'll have to note that, while I don't claim to have the powers of Nostradamus, I've pretty much believed this for a long, long time. In looking at the history of the Earth, we've lived in a remarkably stable climate. Just 12-14,000 years ago, the area where I now live was seeing the final retreat of the last glaciers to overflow the region. Where I now live, mastadons roamed . . . again, not that long ago.

As a kid growing up on a farm, the fragility of our agricultural society often struck me. This, decades before the talk of global warming made headlines (in fact, back then all the speculation was about the onset of the next ice age). It occurred to me then, and it occurs to me now, that mankind will see pretty significant changes in the climate over the years to come. Farms now worth $12,000 an acre may become worthless. Places not presently hospitable to agriculture may become lush. Catastrophe to one may prove to be a huge boon to another.

It's all pretty fascinating . . . and, I'd opine, utterly beyond our control.

#768788 - 03/30/12 12:21 PM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: Mike]
Dave McReynolds Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
It's all pretty fascinating . . . and, I'd opine, utterly beyond our control.

It's entirely possible that it's utterly beyond our control, and if we try to fix the problem, we will be remembered as the generation that tried and failed.

It's entirely possible that there are things we could do that would allieviate the worst of the catastrophic effects, and if we don't try to fix the problem, we will be remembered as the generation that didn't care enough about future generations to even try.

I know which generation I would like to be remembered as being a part of.

#768790 - 03/30/12 12:30 PM Re: Global Climate Change [Re: Bullett]
AviP Offline

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Originally Posted By: Bullett
The insurance industry is concerned about the risk. Linky

When governments and insurance companies get it, I don't understand why the common person doesn't get it. It probably has to do with political distortions from the media but that cannot be discussed on this forum.

Allstate, State Farm and Liberty Mutual do not insure homes on Long Island and the CT section adjacent to the Long Island Sound. If you have an existing policy and happen to drop auto, you might not be able to renew either. It's because of the risk of all the expensive homes close to the water and all models indicating major flooding under hurricane conditions. Luckily Irene hit us as a serious tropical storm, but if it was even a Category 1, this area would have seen skyrocketing premiums. I'm sure at my next renewal, my premiums would increase significantly even though I didn't file a claim.

Page 24 of 24 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24