BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 38 of 65 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#776735 - 05/09/12 03:09 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: Scribner]
John Ranalletta Offline

Originally Posted By: Scribner
Originally Posted By: moshe_levy
By the way... Breaking news, a prominent individual has just affirmed his support for this issue. An individual with a pretty good amount of influence. About time.

-MKL

"I'm with the government and I'm here to help you."

Never underestimate what a person will do for votes and money.

#776737 - 05/09/12 03:12 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: moshe_levy]
pbharvey Offline

Loc: Highland, MD
By the way... Breaking news, a prominent individual has just affirmed his support for this issue. An individual with a pretty good amount of influence. About time.

-MKL

Is this the guy?

...a backward fool

#776739 - 05/09/12 03:16 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: Scribner]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
Originally Posted By: Scribner

-MKL

"I'm with the government and I'm here to help you."

Nah. More like "getting government out of your personal life." No help required. Just getting out of the way. Isn't that a virtue?

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#776761 - 05/09/12 04:17 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: moshe_levy]
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida

-MKL

Prolly someone just asked nicely...
2003 K 1200 GT Mearas Luhn

#776765 - 05/09/12 04:20 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: Quinn]
beemerman2k Online

Loc: Ellington, CT
Gay Americans carry a particularly difficult challenge because they are specifically singled out as sinful in the Bible. The Sodom and Gomorrah story, the Law of Moses, and some of the Apostle Paul's writings condemn their lifestyle. Therefore, they make for an easy scapegoat for what is viewed at the moral decline in America.

I do personally associate any declines in this country with our economic decline, not some sort of religious or moral decline. The loss of millions of jobs that were specifically off shored, or that were never created here in the first place by American firms, is having a huge impact on society. Governments are broke because of the lack of tax revenues, and therefore government services are broke -- schools, hospitals, police forces, fire departments, social service agencies. Our young cannot find jobs and college tuition is ultra-expensive. Opportunities that used to go to American kids now go to Chinese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, and other foreign kids. There is a hiring binge going on in these countries being put on by American firms, and that's a fact.

You need only consult some of the posts in this thread to see that people are concerned about a moral decline, that the 50's image is seen as ideal, and part of the reason it is seen as idea is because the standard of living was great and gays were in the closet back then. This is why the religious leaders spearhead these efforts to ban gay marriage, which is really a ban on gay legitimacy. Religious leaders seem to always want to go back in time, and not boldly forward. Just a generalized observation of mine, certainly nothing to bank on. I say let's go forward and create a future we never had: just, peaceful, impartial, free, prosperous, open, knowledge based, and inclusive.

BTW, I have 3 young daughters, so I see all the animated movies. Some of my favorites include:

- Lion King of course
- Kung Fu Panda series (2nd only to Lion King in my book)
- Madagascar series
- Prince of Egypt (far better than that "10 Commandments" movie)
- Bambi (great movie! Never saw it until I became a father)
- Marry Poppins (Dick Van Dyke is a talent!)
- Night at the Museum series
- A Bugs Life
- Spirit (very good animation that juxtaposes Native American culture with the West)
- Shrek series (a total riot and irreverent fun. 1 & 3 are good. 2 & 4 are so-so)
- Bolt

I like the movies that encourage you to follow your heart and to believe in yourself. These are vital messages because there's no telling what challenges tomorrow holds for your kids. So if they can learn to believe in themselves and to confidently work with very limited information and no clue as to what tomorrow holds, then they will do will, learn, and over come.

#776773 - 05/09/12 05:03 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: moshe_levy]
Boffin Offline

Administrator

Loc: Leicestershire, UK
Okay guys, back away from the politics.

2004 R1150RT : traded for:
2002 R850R SE
1986 K100RT
2013 Kawasaki W800

"No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself." Alfred Lord Tennyson

#776777 - 05/09/12 05:45 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: pbharvey]
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks

Loc: Edmonton, AB Canada
Originally Posted By: pbharvey
Is this the guy?

...a backward fool

Personal opinion – this is crossing the “No Politics” rule here. Mods why hasn't that post been edited?

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.

#776802 - 05/09/12 07:24 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: Quinn]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
I may have opened the door to the politics by issuing the breaking news. Sorry about that. I'm not going to touch that aspect of it for fear of crossing the line. I would only be repeating myself anyway.

James, off topic for a sec, although all of those movies are good, the best is Pocahontas (Disney, 1995). Your daughters AND you will love it, absolutely guaranteed.

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#776828 - 05/09/12 10:47 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: Quinn]
beemerman2k Online

APOLOGY TO THIS THREAD

I should have addressed matters as the topic changed to focus on the President, but I was too busy thinking about my post that I didn't really consider what was being said. Nonetheless, I dropped the ball on this one. This is important because moderators are often accused of playing ideological favorites, leaning left or leaning right. We like to think we lean neither, at least with respect to this board.

Anyhow, thank you Andy for addressing it, and thank you Ken H. for calling attention to it thumbsup

#776831 - 05/09/12 10:54 PM Re: Gay marriage [Re: moshe_levy]
beemerman2k Online

James, off topic for a sec, although all of those movies are good, the best is Pocahontas (Disney, 1995). Your daughters AND you will love it, absolutely guaranteed.

-MKL

OK, just one more off topic post, then its back to our regularly scheduled broadcast grin

I haven't seen Pocahontas though I know my girls have. In fact, my youngest daughter was in her school play, "Pocahontas", so I guess I can say I saw the play cool. If its still out on DVD I'll have to pick up a copy at Targets or someplace.

Page 38 of 65 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64 65 >