IGNORED

UN RALLY CHECK IN THREAD

Kathy R

I am looking forward to seeing everyone get home.

I should be back by Friday of next week. I'm hanging around for another day in fun ol'Salida. The Gateway Inn liked Nigel so much they waived their 50lb weight limit. Perhaps they didn't see the dog races :grin:

And if you'd like to do the Gateway Inn & Suites a favor they would appreciate you going to here TripAdvisor

...please remember to Confirm Your Review by checking your email. If you do not wish to receive any promotions DO NOT check any boxes.

I'll be sharing a bunch of photos in another thread soon.

In this afternoon, after skirting around a nasty lightning storm. It was good to see everyone, and meet some new folks.

Missouri Bob

I got home yesterday. No rain or performance awards.

Thanks to everyone for a terrific time. I genuinely enjoyed meeting those whose posts I've been reading. In particular, I thank Randy for many good decisions.

Now I just need to "man up" and (intentionally) go off road. Maybe I should bring Claudia's CT90 next time.

Bob

Edited by Bob_Sheehan

Back home safe and sound-- there were lots of Colorado's finest out trolling today, but I didn't have the opportunity to chat with any so that was nice--

Was great seeing old friends and making some new ones--

Hope everyone has a great trip home and arrives safely....

Mrs. Caddis
I should bring Claudia and her CT90 next time.

Bob

Fixed it for you....

Edited by Mrs. Caddis
PhillyFlash

Home, temporarily. Will return to Denver on Aug. 11 to pick up my bike, hopefully. Story to follow. Good seeing everyone, but sadly, my mind was not in the right place to enjoy the week. Glad to be home.

PhilipJCaputo

1/2 way home holed up at a best western in Ely NV... had a windy ride across utah on I70, but some really great scenery. Hit some of those really desolate 2 lane highways via US route 50 from I15 to Ely... Bike performed flawlessly at all speeds ;-)

Cindy and I made the 'long' ride home to Falcon. We had a great time. Hats off to Randy! It was great meeting you all...and thanks for welcoming us newcomers. Cindy says Hi!

Bob and Suz (the Hopz's) were back last night... that being Friday. All well.

Easy drive home over a new route we found. Great viewing along highway 139 from Fruita, CO to Dinosaur, CO, but rough road made for slow going with the trailer... but really glad we were in the car and not on the bike.

Really enjoyed this UN. You people, the dogs, the weather, the location, the town.

See you next time.

Bob

Edited by hopz

We got back to Torrey around 7PM, no flats in this direction - pretty much guaranteed of course as the spare wheel was in the bed of the truck not hidden underneath. Enjoyed the time in Salida, interesting place, will return. There are a lot of good back roads in the area that need exploring.

Looks like we are the last to leave. I shall return.

Reminds me of my military unit... back in the day... "First in, Last out.

that's the Signal Corps... units have to talk ya know.

Home yesterday.

Did manage to have a nice chat with a trooper on the west side of Monarch Pass who was of the opinion that it would be best if I was to go a tad slower through the mountain roads. I agreed with that suggestion and we we parted without any official documentation :Cool: Spent Thurs night in Durango. It was Fiesta Days with a great live band and street dance in the evening just down from the hotel on Main St.

Good riding and good times all around.

Karen & I got home last night safe and sound. Glad we did as the heat index today and tomorrow is forecasted between 105 & 111.

It was wonderful indeed seeing familiar as well as new faces. And a BIG Thank You to those who made this possible. Cheers!

We're still in Colorado. Another week of riding, then headed back to Prescott area. Enjoyed Guanella Pass today.

Another great UN - thank you Randy! Wonderful seeing so many old friends and making new ones.

I was sorry I missed Thursday nights dinner but wanted to get to Colorado Springs before dark. Spent the night and left the bike at a friend's home and took a shuttle to Denver on Friday morning. A bad accident shut down I-25 going into Denver and we arrived 35 minutes before my fight. Last to board the plane - 5 minutes before take off!

Plan to pick up the bike 1st week of October and ride it back to DC via the BMWST Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) gathering. Hope to see many of you there! :thumbsup:

Edited by Endobobdds

Jean and I are home safe. 104 since 11am in Texas. Typical stop every hour, get gas, gatorade and ice for the hydration backpack. She would put ice in ziplocks and put in her cooling jacket pockets.

Enjoyed riding with old friends and meeting new ones. Time flys at these meets.

Hope everyone gets home safely!

Jeancooling-L.jpg

Home!

Friday, saw Tank & Whip at the Sweeper Madness cutoff from I70. They proceeded south and I presume stayed dry. I continued west and got dumped on by a thunderstorm until just east of Salina.

Today, Saturday, uneventful except for moderate cross to head winds all day.

Thank you Randy and team for a great UN!

PhilipJCaputo
got dumped on by a thunderstorm until just east of Salina.

You must not have been far behind me. I stopped for gas in Salina but continued north on US 50. It just started to rain as I was coming through Salina, but I managed to avoid it.

Made it home to LA. 644 miles yesterday, 520 today, 3070 for the week. Glad I was able to make it and meet everyone!

Bullett and Twisties arrived home about 7:15 Saturday, the 28th. Got the guest room ready for Ger and thawed some lime juice just in case there is interest in Margaritas. :grin:

Edited by Bullett

Friday was Salida, CO back to Torrey, UT. Today I left Torrey at 0-dark and pulled into Ontario, OR (ID/OR border) at 4:15P. No rain, but the heat was disorienting and I made about 3 stops more than usual to bring body temp down. Probably could have made Pendleton, OR, but I'm truly fatigued and was starting to make mistakes on the bike.

I'll leave here early tomorrow and pull into Olympia, WA around 1PM (I gain an hour) if all goes to plan. HUGE thanks to Randy Rabalais (BeemerBoy) and his team for a truly flawless Un XI. Stories to follow.

Left Gary in Beaver Utah with a bum transmission , he loaded the bike in a u-haul and Jan and Sharon are hosting him . I on the other hand rode on and just got out of the hot spring (104 ) and will have some dinner. Tomorrow I will ride Crater Lake than drop down to the coast and home.

What a wonderful few days with friends, also thanks to the UNorganizers

Home!

Friday, saw Tank & Whip at the Sweeper Madness cutoff from I70. They proceeded south and I presume stayed dry. I continued west and got dumped on by a thunderstorm until just east of Salina.

Sagerider , that was Gary with me :wave:

Got home safely tonight around 8 PM (three 700+ mile days).

Sorry to have missed Thursday dinner, but more urgent stuff at the home front required my departure. But I did detour to Creede,CO on my way out of Colorado and tasted some of those brats Fernando was raven about, good suggestion.

Overall a good 2 weeks on the bike (6200 miles), but way to much time spend above 100 degree's.

Thank you Randy for organizing and hosting the event, First class.

:thumbsup:

Looks like we are the last to leave. I shall return.

Was that your KTM sitting out front this morning? We left about 8:30 this morning, and mnTwin and his son were just going to breakfast. We saw Jan and Sharon off. Sorry we missed you all last evening.

In Green River, UT tonight, headed home. No rain!

CoarsegoldKid

Franz and I are still out riding in the thunderstorms. Home is two days away. I'll check back later.

hugs all around

Home!

Gary says he helped you put on your gloves, Michael.

sitting in Red Lodge, Montana tonight, thunderstorms and my first ever performance award dampened my spirits. Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph should lift them tomorrow.....should be home Tuesday, me thinks. Pics on the BMWST FaceBook page. It was great to see old friends and meet many new friends. This is a fabulous community! Thanks Randy and Deb (and all others involved) for a great week.

Took the Million Dollar Highway to Durango, stopped at Four Corners and went through Monument Valley to Flagstaff for the night. Came straight home and got home to two happy dogs, two happy cats, and one angry bird, but after a little peanut butter, all was forgiven. :grin:

Endobob and Tank, thank you again for all your help (and moral support) on Tuesday. It was not fun for either of you, bless you for being there for us.

Thanks to Randy and all who worked to make this years Un happen, and to everyone that was there!

Home about 11:15pm last night

Rode ~850 miles to Booneville, MO on Friday

Finished the last ~950 miles yesterday

Rode the whole way with Pat (Tewks) until he peeled off North near Harrisburg. Great trip. I'm beat

Also made it home about 11:30pm last night.

Friday about 500 miles to Rock Springs, WY. HAD to go on CO92 from Blue Mesa Dam to Crawford and was rewarded with seeing an eagle dissecting his breakfast by the side of the road and a black bear crossing in front of me. More detours at Colorado NM, Dinosaur NM and Flaming Gorge NRA. Being a little nuts, I decided to include Teton and Yellowstone NP yesterday morning on my 900 mile day so that cost me quite a bit of time.

All in all was able to stick to 2 lane roads for 1000 of my +/-1400 miles and find a much more interesting route home from Colorado then my previous experiences.

Thanks to Randy et al for all the work involved.

Pictures and ride tale to follow.

Mike Cassidy

Got home last night about 8:30, hot in Kansas, but cooled off for the trip from Kansas City home. Had a great time, really great to see everyone and make some new friends!

Looking forward to next year!

Steve

Home!

I was blinded by my gloves :dopeslap:... Thanks for the correction!

Edited by SageRider

After Keith cut the tow rope last night I made it home at 2:30 this afternoon. Great ride & another great UNrally! Thanks Randy! :thumbsup:

Pat

Home today after 4.6K miles without issues other than heat. Thanks much to Deb and Randy and all the other helpers. Really enjoyed meeting everyone old and new.

Bill

PS - Al, four quiet days without any discomfort. Thanks a bunch.

Just got in a few moments ago. Another great Un!

Thanks to Randy, Debra, 'Nando and all others involved.

As always, great to see everyone!

We just arrived home! Thanks to all that made this a very enjoyable UN. For Richard and I, a line that will not be soon forgotten from the UN... uttered by Roadscholar, in the men's room at the Boat House; "What ya got there, a piece of chicken?" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

malcolmblalock

Well, I'm not home yet, have visited a friend in Denver and taken a fairly leisurely way towards home. But, I feel compelled to share an UnAdventure that happened this morning:

Leaving Harper KS, headed towards Wellington on US 160, I was riding along, not in a hurry, running at about 71mph (speed limit was 65), when I heard a noise behind me and looked in my rear view mirror. It was full of blue lights and highway patrol cars! I had just taken a couple of pictures of the road in front of me and the fields on the side, so I had to put the camera away and slow down and pull over. When I got stopped, I looked back in my mirror, and there were two policemen out of their cars, with guns trained on me!

They were yelling something, but with the helmet on and earplugs in, I could not hear any of what they were saying. I pulled my helmet off and pulled out my ear plugs, and they were screaming for me to get off the bike and to lay down face first on the pavement.

I did!

In a few seconds, one of them ordered me to put my left arm behind my back. I did. I felt some kind of fastener close around my left wrist. Then another order to put my right hand behind my back. I did, and felt something close on that wrist. I learned later that they were handcuffs; the first time in my life that I had worn handcuffs.

I had no idea what was going on; as far as I knew the only thing I had done illegal was to speed 6 miles over the speed limit, so I was totally confused and very scared.

They left me laying face down with my hands cuffed behind my back for a few minutes while one of the partolmen moved his car so the road had one clear lane of traffic. They head the whole road blocked!

When he came back, he told me to roll over and to get up. I could roll over, but with my hands behind my back, there was no way I could get up. So, he grabbed me and he pulled while I pushed. It worked, and he pulled me to the side of the road.

Over the next 30 minutes or so, they quizzed me about where I had been, where I was going, how long I had been riding (this morning), and many other questions that I can't remember now. I had recently read an article in one of my motorcycle magazines about how to behave when the cops have you. The recommendation was to answer their questions, keep quiet, and to be polite. So, I did.

They said that I had blown by one of the patrol cars at a high rate of speed (which I hadn't done), and that he took off in pursuit, and that because I didn't stop, he believed I was trying to get away from him. Then he called in the other patrol car to help in the pursuit.

The two patrolmen were very different from each other. Think good cop/bad cop. The younger one was very nice, polite, and in charge (I guess it was his arrest). The other one was older and convinced that I was a terror on the highways, saying things like "Cone on, admit that you were trying to get away" and "You've got a fast bike--how fast were you going". In my view, he was an absolute asshole, very antagonistic and wanted to take me in very badly.

I told them that I was riding at 71mph, and did not hear their siren or see them. The bad cop replied that I was lying, that he could see me in the mirror looking at him. They said they chased me for about 4 miles. I never saw them or heard them until the end. I explained that I wear earplugs to save my hearing. The good cop asked if ear plugs were legal. I said they were in NC, but I didn't know about in Kansas. He said he didn't know either. I explained that my duffel bag on the passenger seat blocks some of my view to the rear (I had been thinking about getting some better mirrors for a while, and just decided to get some before leaving home. I had hoped that I could find some at the MOA rally, but didn't. I will find some now!).

The bad cop said that they were going to take me to jail for trying to elude the law, for not stopping for blue light and siren, for excessive speed, all of which were felonies. I was in deep poo poo and hadn't done anything wrong except speed a little.

The bad cop backed off to call in my license number, plate number and whatever else. While he was busy with that, the good cop started talking, commenting on my being cooperative and polite, and asked if I could see why they were so excited in stopping me. I replied that I did, and, under those circumstances, would feel the same way. He had seen the glint of the camera in my hand when I was taking pictures, and thought it was a gun. I told him that I was very nervous and scared, and he said he was as well. I apologized for not seeing or hearing them, but I just didn't hear or see them.

I could tell that he was beginning to believe me and what I told him. I told him that I was a grandfather and had no reason to try to elude the police, and I was not in a hurry or traveling faster than 71. At one point one of them said I was going over 80 and they had to drive over 85 to catch up with me. I don't know what they were seeing, but this was one time when I was just riding along, not in a hurry or trying to drive fast. Glad they weren't there when I topped 100 a week or so earlier!

The bad cop kept interjecting comments that were very abrasive and argumentive. It was hard, but I decided to keep my cool and to answer any questions honestly.

At one point, the good cop asked if I had any weapons. I replied that I had a handgun in the glove compartment, that it was loaded, and that I had a carry permit from NC. He responded that Kansas and NC shared an agreement on concealed carry requirements. He got the gun, emptied it, and remarked that he had one just like it. I told him that I travel a lot alone and wanted to have some protection if needed. He asked me if I had shot a newer model of the same gun, and I told him that I had not.

After what seemed like hours, they took the handcuffs off and the good cop said that he believed he would give me the benefit of doubt about trying to elude them. But he said he had not decided whether or not to give me a speeding ticket. I was happy to hear that my charges were now just for speeding. I could handle a speeding ticket, but I have no idea how to get out of jail!

I told him one last time that I was riding at 71 and no faster, that the cruise was set on it, and that's what I was doing for quite a few miles. Then he said "Well, I've decided not to write a ticket, but you had better take it easy". I responded that I would for sure! He added that when he called in for support, it was broadcast in a 100 mile radius to all law enforcement folks, and that they would be on the lookout for me. I decided to not ride faster than the speed limit until I got out of Kansas.

The good cop and I shook hands, and we parted. Whew, that was scary and a close call. At one point, I believed I was going to jail. The bad cop was just like those portrayed on TV that cajole and torment people to admit to something just to get them off their back. Even as they were leaving, the bad cop said to me "Comeon now, you really were putting the gun into the glove box when we were stopping you, weren't you?" I responded that the gun had been in the glove box for days prior to this incident. I feel for people like him that live lives as assholes. Gotta be a miserable human.

I really don't know how long all of that took, but it seemed like a long time. In the meanwhile, the temperatures had jumped almost 10 degrees to 98. Then it got hot.

The rest of the ride was slower and uneventful. I did see several cop cars along the way, and, while I can't be sure, believe that they were watching me. Might have just been paranoid, but It felt like they were keeping an eye on me.

The temperature got higher and higher, running from 105 to 113 as I rode west, with quite a few miles at 110. It was hot the rest of the way to Springfield MO, where I stopped for the day. I rode about 425 miles, not so far, but the events of the day left me pretty beat.

Now that it's over and I've had some opportunity to think it over, I can see their actions, given what they saw, EXCEPT I was not going fast. The good cop, at one point, said, "Well, there's no traffic and conditions are excellent, so your speed was not too much out of line" But I honestly don't get what triggered them to come after me.

I believe if I had smart-mouthed them,or been argumentative at all, I would have to use the services of a bail bondsman.

With the heat out here, I'll be moseying on towards ole NC and plan to be home on Wednesday.

Enjoyed meeting folks at the gatherings. Thanks to

Randy for putting it all together.

ps. Apologize for the long post, but I wanted to share as much of what happened with everyone. I'll bet I had one of the most UnAdventures of the group.

PhilipJCaputo
Well, I'm not home yet, have visited a friend in Denver and taken a fairly leisurely way towards home. But, I feel compelled to share an UnAdventure that happened this morning:

yikes! Lots of things that I could say, but just glad it didn't turn out worse.

AdventurePoser

Nice ride home, kept running into FB, Joe and Carl. We ended up in Torrey for the night. Next day Cindy and I rode the 'back roads' thru Utah, and ended up staying in St George last night at the Lexington Hotel off exit 6. (a nice place)

Got up at the crack of dawn and rode home under sunny but unseasonably cool skies, which was nice!

No one had guns pointed at them, or got cuffed. Maybe next time.

Steve in So Cal

Edited by AdventurePoser