Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#800543 - 09/12/12 02:33 AM Re: Day 2 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: eddd]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Originally Posted By: eddd
The are lots of squiggly roads, but they aren't the best for spirited riding. The problem is sight lines. You not only have the drives from the houses, but barns, outbuildings, and entryways into the fields. Add in tractors pulling hay wagons, balers, haybines, chopper boxes...you get the idea. Don't forget to add in Amish buggies in certain areas of the state. If you're really unlucky you might also get to follow a leaky manure spreader. tongue

There's plenty of everything, which is maybe what makes it so enjoyable (to me at least). There are indeed spots where you need to proceed carefully: in some places the farmhouse, barn, machine shed and other buildings are within a few feet of the road, and the abundance of muddy tire tracks attests to the frequent crossing traffic. And, as you mentioned, there are plenty of fields where the corn grows close to the road and there's potential for farm equipment to pop out onto the roadway. But there are plenty of other places (e.g. the winding roads that traverse the ridges between valleys) where those hazards don't exist, and hen you're just down to the usual hazards: oncoming traffic, gravel in the corners, and deer. grin

#800545 - 09/12/12 02:37 AM Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Day 4: Sunday, August 12
Route: Madison, WI to Ann Arbor, MI
Distance: 268 miles in the saddle plus 78 miles by ferry

After a leisurely breakfast, I headed out to wander around town and see a few sights. The ferry wasn’t scheduled to leave Milwaukee until 12:30, so I had some time to kill.

First stop? The engineering campus, for a shot in front of Máquina, a sculpture and fountain that had been erected while I was in grad school here:

Crap, the flash went off on that one. Lemme try again. Let’s see, kill the flash, set the timer, run to pose with the bike…shoot, that guy on the bicycle is gonna get here just when the camera goes off…

GAH! dopeslap

OK, one more try. Set the timer, run to pose with the bike…uh-oh, here comes a car…

Screw it, good enough. grin

A short distance away, the new Union South building opened its doors about a year ago:

I saw this building in progress during my previous trip here. Some folks were happy to see the demise of its predecessor, but just like with those disappearing old truss bridges, I have a bit of a sense of nostalgia. The old Union South building was a familiar part of the skyline while I went to school here, and while the new building is grand and well-designed, I will miss the old one.

A little ways down the road, the Saturday-night drunks have eschewed cow-tipping in favor of scooter-tipping:

Makes me glad I opted to stay far out on the west side of town.

Speaking of scooters, they’re a huge part of the student culture at UW. Scooter vendors and repair shops here are almost as numerous as the bicycle shops, and the scooters contend with bicycles for parking spots:

If that doesn’t seem like many scooters, keep in mind that this was mid-August, and most students were away for the summer. In fact, this was the last weekend before “lease day” – August 15, the day when residential leases around campus all seem to start, and the vast majority of students move in – and I was already seeing moving vans and pickup trucks hauling hoards of stuff around town. If I were to come back a week or two later, the sidewalks (and streets) would be overwhelmed with scooters.

A few blocks away, the Memorial Union is situated on the shore of Lake Mendota. In a nod to the state’s largely Germanic roots, there is a Rathskeller here:

Not only does it provide seating for a cafeteria, but there’s a bar on the other side, and a stage for live events. A fun place to be on Friday and Saturday nights.

Speaking of which, if you were ever a student here, then you recognize this view:

And these chairs:

This was Sunday morning, so the Terrace was pretty much deserted except for the cleanup crew. But on Friday and Saturday afternoons and evenings, there’s live music, a big crowd, lots of good beer, and a beautiful sunset across the lake.

Finally I had to say goodbye to my alma mater again and head for Milwaukee to catch the ferry. I arrived to find half a dozen Harleys in front of me, and within thirty minutes, another half-dozen had pulled in behind me. It seems BMW bikes are a rare bird.

Before long the ferry appeared on the horizon, rocketing toward shore at warp speed:

On board the ferry, posing for a shot while Milwaukee recedes in the background:

The weather was more hospitable for this crossing: no rain, and somewhat warmer temperatures. Families lingered up on the sun deck, with little kids running around like drunken monkeys as the deck swayed and bobbed. I found a comfortable seat and continued reading my book about arguing:

Watch out, I’m learning. I now know about eristic arguments, dialectic arguments, and rhetoric (not the pejorative rhetoric people attribute to modern-day politics, but classical rhetoric, the art of persuasion). Soon I will be the source for all of your opinions. grin

As we approached the Michigan shoreline, I saw a weird phenomenon. It was fog, but only very low on the water, such that you could still see the hills beyond:

Soon after I noticed this, we went through the sharpest weather front I have ever experienced. The temperature dropped from 70 to 50 in about ten seconds (granted, the apparent rapidity was probably enhanced by the ferry’s high speed). I later learned that the two were related: the shallow fog I had seen was sea smoke, caused by cold air moving over warm water. 50 degrees is no exaggeration: within a couple of minutes, I was shivering uncontrollably, the deck rails were painfully cold to the touch, and I had to retreat below deck to warm up until we reached the Muskegon breakwater and slowed to just a few knots.

The final cruise home on I-96, normally not a noteworthy affair, was interrupted by an accident that resulted in closure of the highway east of Lansing. Relegated to a dirt-road detour for several miles, I found one last photo opportunity. Here’s how tall the corn was in drought-stricken Michigan:

Compare with Friday’s picture in central Wisconsin:

This will be a tough winter for Michigan farmers. frown

Across the road, there was a small pasture with several cows off in the distance. I guess they don’t get much company, because they were thrilled to see me – they literally ran across the field to come get a look:

Boy, if they’ll welcome you home like that, they might make good pets after all. grin

And that was about it for my trip; the final hour rolled off without incident, except for that one last important stop:

You must always remember to buy flowers for your wife when you come home from a solo trip.

Thanks for reading. wave

#800553 - 09/12/12 03:46 AM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
Speaking of scooters, they’re a huge part of the student culture at UW. Scooter vendors and repair shops here are almost as numerous as the bicycle shops, and the scooters contend with bicycles for parking spots

Lazy bums! When I was in college, we pedaled our two-wheelers!

Great tale, Mitch!

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#800569 - 09/12/12 10:03 AM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Marty Hill Offline
The Energiser Bunny
Marty Hill  Offline
The Energiser Bunny

Atlanta, Ga.
Nice tale Mitch. I'm going to try to take that ferry next summer.

Marty
49 states/32 countries/3 continents

700GS/white...old age moto

WWMHD...ride till you can't

Semper Paratus
#800608 - 09/12/12 03:01 PM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Marty Hill]  
BFish Offline
BFish  Offline

Melbourne, FL
very nice. lotsa cows, water, and great roads. fantastic trip.

Brian

"Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or the subordination of principle."

2004 RT (Silver)

#800609 - 09/12/12 03:05 PM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Lone_RT_rider Offline
Lone_RT_rider  Offline

Germantown, WI
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
You must always remember to buy flowers for your wife when you come home from a solo trip.

I'll try to remember that if I ever have one. Nice ride tale my friend. smile I wish I could have been there with you.

Shawn

#800655 - 09/12/12 07:50 PM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
tobyzusa Offline
tobyzusa  Offline

Southlake,TX
Very Nice!

Brad
'05 1150RT
#800760 - 09/13/12 11:39 AM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

Quote:
Soon I will be the source for all of your opinions.

grin , is right!

Please go somewhere real soon. We'll pass the helmet and all send your wife flowers thumbsup

#800836 - 09/13/12 09:32 PM Re: Day 4 of Dances With Cows Too [Re: Kathy R]  
Rocer Offline
Rocer  Offline

Haliburton ON
Originally Posted By: Kathy R
Quote:
Soon I will be the source for all of your opinions.

grin , is right!

Please go somewhere real soon. We'll pass the helmet and all send your wife flowers thumbsup

+1 Kathy!

Mitch, "Across the road, there was a small pasture with several cows off in the distance. I guess they don’t get much company, because they were thrilled to see me – they literally ran across the field to come get a look:" it's pretty obvious the cows like mootorcycles.

Paul
“Stay where you’re to till we comes where you’re at “

00 R1100RT
#800887 - 09/14/12 07:28 AM Re: Dances With Cows Too [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
BabyCow Offline
BabyCow  Offline

Sydney, Australia
I read most if not all ride tales and I do believe that yours are (in my view) the best. Thank you for the effort to do them

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike