IGNORED

Help!!! R1200RT Brake Failure Light

mickeymc

I am hopeing someone can help with this issue.

Some data.

R1200RT 2007 Model 22K miles.

After riding a while the ABS acutated on rear brake while slowing down. I was not braking hard enough to actuate the ABS and was only moving 10-15 mph. Felt it actuate in the brake peadle.

Afterwards the brake failure light stayed on.

The next morning the brake light went off and and seemed noromal, however, brake failed light came on after riding 200 miles.

Checked with GS911

24052 Electrical System Under Voltage Not present

24048 Power Supply to pump voltage faulty. Present

24049 Power Supply to pump voltage faulty. Present

The battery is 12.38 volts

Is this going to be a $2K + repair? Suggestions?

Thanks

Evening mickeymc

How accurate are you on that battery voltage reading of 12.38 volts? 12.38 is a pretty depleted battery (should be closer to 12.6v-12.8v for a fully charged battery).

If your issue isn't due to low battery voltage then make sure the smaller wires hooked to the battery's (+) post are tight, not oxidized or broken. Those smaller wires is where the ABS controller gets it's power from to run the servo pumps.

If not a low battery voltage issue & the power wires are good then you might have an internal issue inside the ABS controller.

I was reading the battery voltage from the bottom right corner of the GS-911 screen. I did not connect a VOM to the battery to check. I replaced the original battery last month with an Oddessy PC-680 battery a couple weeks ago. That is the battery I saw reccommended on this board many times. No brake problem for 1500 or so miles after replacing battery and battery symbol always goes off a few seconds after starting the engine. I never had an issue with the original battery but I was getting afraid to go on trips with it as it was 5 years old.

Edited by mickeymc

Evening mickeymc

OK, that is basically system voltage not real battery voltage.

With that "Power Supply to pump voltage faulty" code that more than likely leaves either a broken power supply wire to the ABS servo pump (see above post) or something internally wrong with the ABS controller, or some other power supply issue.

I just checked voltage with a DVM 12.82 volts with ignition off. 14.05 Volts with bike running. My RT does not have but one connector on the pos and one connector on the neg side, I cleaned the Battery connectors when I changed battery. Any other ideas? If this is the ABS controller I am going to be through with BMW's. Not dependable and I cannot afford them anynore.

4 final drives. 1 ABS controller. 1 transmission seal. 2 front master cylinder on previous BMW's and now a possible ABS controller on this RT. To Much..........

I've read of pump brushes being worn and/or stuck in their mounts. Wouldn't that cause symptoms similar to no or low voltage? Though 22k miles seems kind of low for that sort of trouble (especially since my bike has 21.5k).

FWIW, www.modulemaster.com is known to be able to repair ABS units in many cases.

EDIT: I just realized you do not have the the same whizzy brakes I do on my '06 RT. It's possible nothing I've mentioned applies here... :dopeslap:

Larry

Edited by lkraus

No, Mine are not the whizzy brakes. I still have brakes but no abs.I am going to reset with the GS 911 this afternoon if I get off work in time and do a test ride. If brakes "reset then I am goint to activate the ABS a couple time to see what happens. On my GS I have put a piece of tape over the flashing brake light so I don;t notice but it is a shame that a RT with 22k has these issues.

Thanks to the link.

To eliminate the possibility, double check the wiring from the front ABS sensor to make sure it's not rubbing on the brake rotor - that issue is part of a recall which you should by now have had performed - and it will turn on the failure light.

Edited by Sailorlite

Morning Sailorlite

If he had a wheel sensor issue he should have a wheel sensor code stored not the low voltage codes he now has.

Morning mickeymc

One thing you can try is to put the bike on the center stand in neutral with the engine idling.

Now with the engine idling start spinning the rear wheel with your foot.

With the rear wheel spinning just lightly apply the front brake lever.

That should cause instant rear wheel brake lock up & cycle the rear controller servo motor. See if that is working properly.

I just bought the RT early summer and the fellow I bought it from told me all the brake recalls had been done. I will take a look anyway,, just to be sure.

Thanks DR. I was going to try and actually actuate the brakes by locking them up while riding, but, spinning the rear wheel by hand would be safer.

Also, the GS911 provides for some ABS test. Don't know exactly how those work but when I tried those last evening they did not work.

Ok, I tried to reset with the GS911. would not reset, fault still present. So I have arranged to purchase a salvage ABS unit.

Does anyone have advice or a link to a easy method to refill the brake systems after replacing the module?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I have secured a used module from a 2012 R1200RT. The part numbers on the BMW parts list are the same for a 2007RT and a 2012RT. I have read that sometime there are firmware issues. Should I expect a problem with this substitution?

I just found out you cannot edit a post after 30 minutes so here is the edit.

The replacement ABS module is from a 2010 RT not a 2012. It is going on a 2007 RT.

There are different numbers on the modules.

2007=

DE I ABS

2010=

DE I ABS

Do anyone know if the 2010 will work on 2007.

• 4 years later...
Morning mickeymc

One thing you can try is to put the bike on the center stand in neutral with the engine idling.

That should cause instant rear wheel brake lock up & cycle the rear controller servo motor. See if that is working properly.

Dirtrider,

I too have come down with the "Brake Failure" fault on my 07 R1200 RT. So far I've done the following to trouble shoot:

1) I checked that both brake lights are functioning properly, they are

2) Did the spinning rear wheel check you mentioned above - you can hear the ABS pump come on and the rear wheel stops

3) Verified that I've got sufficient brake fluid in both reservoirs.

I don't have access to a GS-911, any other suggestions?

Morning mickeymc

Dirtrider,

I too have come down with the "Brake Failure" fault on my 07 R1200 RT. So far I've done the following to trouble shoot:

1) I checked that both brake lights are functioning properly, they are

2) Did the spinning rear wheel check you mentioned above - you can hear the ABS pump come on and the rear wheel stops

3) Verified that I've got sufficient brake fluid in both reservoirs.

I don't have access to a GS-911, any other suggestions?

Evening Dale SC

You have resurrected a thread last posted to on 10/26/12 so you really should start your own new thread on YOUR motorcycle.

Without a GS-911 or dealer computer you will need to visually check everything. Maybe start in the front brake rotor area. Look closely for signs of the front wheel speed sensor cable contacting & worn by the front brake rotor.

Has anything been done to the bike recently (like new tires installed?)