IGNORED

Final Drive

eddd

The story actually began with a long drive from deep south Texas to Peoria, AZ. The purpose of the trip was to pay for and pick up a 1996 R1100RT. It was early in the morning on Christmas Eve 2006 when I completed the transaction, loaded the RT into a trailer and headed back to Texas.

Here is how the bike looked on the day I picked it up. It had about 49,000 miles on it at the time.

orig.jpg

The bike's first exposure to the board members was March of 2008 at a Big Bend gathering.

standard.jpg

Another 2008 trip took the RT to the Dallas area for a First Aid event hosted by Irish Mike and presented by Cool Jamie.

standard.jpg

Later that year I figured out how to fit a Torrey into my work schedule. Torrey XV, in the spring of 2008 was the first of eight Torreys for the RT.

orig.jpg

The first Un for my RT was John Day. Here are a couple of shots on the way to Oregon.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

In October, 2009 the bags and trunk got a face lifts that transformed the already good looks of the RT.

orig.jpg

Some trips were easier for the RT. When you want to bring along all your toys a trailer is the answer.

standard.jpg

I don’t have any pictures of the RT from this month’s Death Valley gathering, only this picture of a rainbow taken as I arrived at Beatty, NV.

orig.jpg

During the Death Valley trip the RT turned over the 175,000 mile mark. The RT had been quite reliable, suffering only one major breakdown, a failed rear universal joint in the summer of 2010 in the wilds of New Mexico.

Due to the mileage, I had earlier decided that after the Death Valley gathering it would be prudent to lift the tail and take a look at the clutch and transmission splines, which were original and had been unseen since they were installed in 1996. Here is what I found:

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

After consulting with Mitch and Keith and researching the cost of various options, I made the decision that it was not cost-effective to spend the money needed to bring the RT to a state that would make me comfortable to jump on it an ride cross country.

It was not simply a matter of fixing the clutch and input shaft. If I went down that road there were additional upgrades I would make. So in the end I decided the best thing to do would be to dismantle the RT and make the parts available so other RTs could live on.

It was a very good bike, but if you ride them you will eventually get to the point where it is time to move on.

medium800.jpg

I'm working on a replacement for the RT, but no decision at this time.

If you have need of any of my parts watch for a posting in the classified section or send me a PM.

Well no doubt you're sad to see her go but you made a wise move in checking because it looks like you definitely dodged a bullet. You sure got some decent mileage and it's amazing to consider that if you did want to put some money into the thing you'd probably be good for another 100k...

Eddd, so sorry to see those splines. It's such a beautiful bike (kinda like the one in my garage). :grin: Can't believe that I've never seen this one first hand. Tough decision, but when it's time...

Looking forward to see what's next!

Holy Crap that was quick.....we just talked about checking the splines about 6 days ago! You need to quit lolly-gagging and get to work. Wow!

• 4 years later...

This is a very solid, well designed hitch. I have towed a 325 pound Aspen camp tent trailer with a 2005 RT and a 2010 RT all over the western US, with no worries.

Includes the Electronic Relay Isolator wire harness to connect to CANBUS, 1 7/8” ball.

IMG_3929-M.jpg

IMG_3933-M.jpg

IMG_3961-M.jpg

$350 plus shipping to CONUS

PM or email me at kgotzenberg AT gmail DOT com.

This is a very solid, well designed hitch. I have towed a 325 pound Aspen camp tent trailer with a 2005 RT and a 2010 RT all over the western US, with no worries.

Includes the Electronic Relay Isolator wire harness to connect to CANBUS, 1 7/8” ball.

IMG_3929-M.jpg

IMG_3933-M.jpg

IMG_3961-M.jpg

FS: Bushtec Trailer Hitch for R1200RT

Includes the Electronic Relay Isolator wire harness to connect to CANBUS,

Includes the Electronic Relay Isolator wire harness to connect to CANBUS, 1 7/8 ball.

Includes the Electronic Relay Isolator wire harness to connect to CANBUS, 1 7/8 ball.

IMG_3929-M.jpg

IMG_3933-M.jpg

IMG_3961-M.jpg

Full Remus Titanium Hexcone Exhaust system for Camhead (2010-2013)

This includes everything from the header pipes to the super lightweight titanium canister. The previous owner of my 2010 had installed it. I switched back to stock exhaust at about 30K miles.

The sound is wonderfully sexy. Remus says there is a performance & torque increase. This system eliminates the CAT & flapper valve (EEC)

IMG_3881-M.jpg

IMG_3881-M.jpg

See: http://www.remususa.com/hexacone-full-system-without-cat-titanium-no-eec.html

$500 + shipping to CONUS

Full Remus Titanium Hexcone Exhaust system for Camhead (2010-2013)

This includes everything from the header pipes to the super lightweight titanium canister. The previous owner of my 2010 had installed it. I switched back to stock exhaust at about 30K miles.

The sound is wonderfully sexy. Remus says there is a performance & torque increase. This system eliminates the CAT & 'flapper valve' (EEC)

IMG_3881-M.jpg

IMG_3881-M.jpg

See: http://www.remususa.com/hexacone-full-system-without-cat-titanium-no-eec.html

$500 + shipping to CONUS

FS: Misc Accessories and Farkles

FS: RCU Shelf for 1100 Oilhead

This Accessory Shelf offers a platform to mount your GPS, radar detector, compass, radio or other navigation or entertainment device where you can easily see and use it for your Oilhead BMS. All parts are manufactured from aircraft quality 6061 aluminum alloy and finished in powder-coated black paint or black anodized. Includes RAM ball mount

See: http://www.rcudesigns.com/ecommerce_010.htm

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

FS: EMP Aux Light Brackets for 1100RT oilhead / with KC lights

These brackets are beautiful for mounting lights above the mirrors of Oilheads. They snake out from between the 1100 RT’s mirror housings and the fairing. Includes a pair of KC 55 watt halogen lights. YOU WILL BE SEEN! (relay needed—not included)

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

FS: BMR Co-Pilot Farkle Shelf for R1200RT

Smart functionality is what you want. You get it with the R1200RT Co-Pilot system. The center peak positions your GPS of choice at the perfect position with the Adjustable Tilt Mount, optimizing the view of its screen. Includes Garmin 25xx GPS mount (but NOT the GPS).

See: http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=010_CPR1200RT

IMG_3979-M.jpg

IMG_3974-M.jpg

$100 + shipping to ConUS

Clutch assembly for Hexhead

I bought this on ebay a couple of years ago when I was thinking of replacing the clutch on my 120,000 miles 2005 hexhead. Sold the bike before I had a chance to swap it out (the old clutch was probably well within specs). The ‘donor bike’ was totaled at 20K miles, and was being parted out, so this set has very little miles on it.

This includes clutch housing, pressure plate and TWO clutch plates/friction discs (one with 5.9 mm, one with 5.1 mm). The splines look perfect on both. The clutch housing (flywheel) and pressure plate have some oxidation from sitting around too long.

IMG_3964-M.jpg

clutch2.png

$100 for all + shipping to ConUS

Voevodsky Cyberlight Auxiliary Brake Light

Yup, I got one of these rare classics. Used it on my airheads back in the 70’s & 80’s, before the advent of hyperlights & Scene lights. Way ahead of their time.

The Cyberlight was a brake light that used an accelerometer to trigger the light to flash faster as the bike was braking harder and then slow as the bike slowed...sort of cool cause people behind you could tell how hard you were having to brake....I actually had a cop stop me once and ask me where he could get one. Has a bracket that bolts on below your current stop light. Not sure is CANBUS approved.

See: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/188542-great-3rd-brake-light-idea-wiring-questions.html (see post #17)

IMG_3927-M.jpg

IMG_3928-M.jpg

$40 + shipping to ConUS

PM or email me at kgotzenberg AT gmail DOT com

This Accessory Shelf offers a platform to mount your GPS, radar detector, compass, radio or other navigation or entertainment device where you can easily see and use it for your Oilhead BMS. All parts are manufactured from aircraft quality 6061 aluminum alloy and finished in powder-coated black paint or black anodized. Includes RAM ball mount

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

These brackets are beautiful for mounting lights above the mirrors of Oilheads. They snake out from between the 1100 RT’s mirror housings and the fairing. Includes a pair of KC 55 watt halogen lights. YOU WILL BE SEEN! (relay needed—not included)

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

Smart functionality is what you want. You get it with the R1200RT Co-Pilot system. The center peak positions your GPS of choice at the perfect position with the Adjustable Tilt Mount, optimizing the view of its screen. Includes Garmin 25xx GPS mount (but NOT the GPS).

IMG_3979-M.jpg

IMG_3974-M.jpg

$100 + shipping to ConUS

I bought this on ebay a couple of years ago when I was thinking of replacing the clutch on my 120,000 miles 2005 hexhead. Sold the bike before I had a chance to swap it out (the old clutch was probably well within specs). The ‘donor bike’ was totaled at 20K miles, and was being parted out, so this set has very little miles on it.

This includes clutch housing, pressure plate and TWO clutch plates/friction discs (one with 5.9 mm, one with 5.1 mm). The splines look perfect on both. The clutch housing (flywheel) and pressure plate have some oxidation from sitting around too long.

IMG_3964-M.jpg

clutch2.png

Yup, I got one of these rare classics. Used it on my airheads back in the 70’s & 80’s, before the advent of hyperlights & Scene lights. Way ahead of their time.

The Cyberlight was a brake light that used an accelerometer to trigger the light to flash faster as the bike was braking harder and then slow as the bike slowed...sort of cool cause people behind you could tell how hard you were having to brake....I actually had a cop stop me once and ask me where he could get one. Has a bracket that bolts on below your current stop light. Not sure is CANBUS approved.

See: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/188542-great-3rd-brake-light-idea-wiring-questions.html (see post #17)

IMG_3927-M.jpg

IMG_3928-M.jpg

$40 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3979-M.jpg

IMG_3974-M.jpg

$100 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3964-M.jpg

clutch2.png

IMG_3927-M.jpg

IMG_3928-M.jpg

$40 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

These brackets are beautiful for mounting lights above the mirrors of Oilheads. They snake out from between the 1100 RT mirror housings and the fairing. Includes a pair of KC 55 watt halogen lights. YOU WILL BE SEEN! (relay needed, not included)

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

These brackets are beautiful for mounting lights above the mirrors of Oilheads. They snake out from between the 1100 RT mirror housings and the fairing. Includes a pair of KC 55 watt halogen lights. YOU WILL BE SEEN! (relay needed, not included)

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3979-M.jpg

IMG_3974-M.jpg

$100 + shipping to ConUS

I bought this on ebay a couple of years ago when I was thinking of replacing the clutch on my 120,000 miles 2005 hexhead. Sold the bike before I had a chance to swap it out (the old clutch was probably well within specs). The donor bike was totaled at 20K miles, and was being parted out, so this set has very little miles on it.

IMG_3964-M.jpg

clutch2.png

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3979-M.jpg

IMG_3974-M.jpg

$100 + shipping to ConUS

I bought this on ebay a couple of years ago when I was thinking of replacing the clutch on my 120,000 miles 2005 hexhead. Sold the bike before I had a chance to swap it out (the old clutch was probably well within specs). The donor bike was totaled at 20K miles, and was being parted out, so this set has very little miles on it.

IMG_3964-M.jpg

clutch2.png

Yup, I got one of these rare classics. Used it on my airheads back in the 70s & 80s, before the advent of hyperlights & Scene lights. Way ahead of their time.

IMG_3927-M.jpg

IMG_3928-M.jpg

$40 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3983-M.jpg

$30 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3982-M.jpg

IMG_3980-M.jpg

$60 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3979-M.jpg

IMG_3974-M.jpg

$100 + shipping to ConUS

IMG_3964-M.jpg

clutch2.png

Yup, I got one of these rare classics. Used it on my airheads back in the 70s & 80s, before the advent of hyperlights & Scene lights. Way ahead of their time.

IMG_3927-M.jpg

IMG_3928-M.jpg

$40 + shipping to ConUS