BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#814344 - 12/22/12 06:17 PM Re: Full Synthetic Oil in New Tech Guide For Camheads? [Re: rinkydink]
azokie Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Southern AZ
I finally got back to the dealer and there is no bulletin or service notice. The service manager said they have the BMW servie program which, for any given service interval, details
the parts, chemicals and labor. He said about 2 months ago they noticed that BMW had changed, for camheads only, the oil from dino to full synthetic. That's what they are now using but he said no issue with using what the owner manual prescribes.

I will use the synthetic to see if there is any significant oil useage. So far at 6000 total miles, there has been some oil use but not significant.

#814694 - 12/25/12 03:38 PM Re: Full Synthetic Oil in New Tech Guide For Camheads? [Re: azokie]
dirtdreamer50 Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, Tx
My '12 RT came with synth installed. Service manager said that all new bikes cameg with synth from the factory. I used Mobil 1 at the 600 mile change as advised and all is well. No noticeable oil usage either.

BMW autos come with Synth and have 15k mile O/f change schedules. Seems to me like their water cooled bikes should have the same schedule as their autos, but shorter for the air/oil models, if all are using similar synth lubricants.

Edited by dirtdreamer50 (12/25/12 03:39 PM)
Plus 49 others that have come and gone over the past 45 years...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2