Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
#836652 - 06/10/13 04:00 PM Re: Quinn killed 6/5 [Re: Peter Parts]  
upflying Offline
upflying  Offline

Reno, NV
Originally Posted By: Peter Parts
Originally Posted By: NCStephen
Quinn, Bob S, was hit by a delivery truck on Wednesday and then airlifted to UNC Hospital where he died. Delivery truck "didn't see him" even with extra lights, hi viz stuff etc. As in all things like this, tragic. I heard some mention of bikes on Monday for ???? but don't know any details.

Moderators move to where is appropriate

NCS

A sad loss for riders and esp. those of us who read his many posts at this forum.

When available, is there anything riders can learn from a fuller description of this collision?

Ben

I would assume it was a right of way violation. The delivery truck either turned left in front of Quinn or pulled out from a driveway or side street. I have not been able to find a news story of the incident.

Bob
Reno,NV

2014 HD FXDC
2001 HD FLHPi (former work bike)
2009 HD FLHPi 103" (former work bike)
1972 Honda CT-90 garage queen

Logical politics is the Holy Grail of oxymorons.
#836720 - 06/10/13 08:36 PM Re: Quinn killed 6/5 [Re: upflying]  
NCStephen Offline
NCStephen  Offline

Hillsborough, NC
This is probably best shared, when it is time, by Nice n Easy as they were riding buddies and he would have any details available. Funeral was to be today.

NCS

Riding Around NC
03 K1200RS
03 RC51
74 CB750
#836799 - 06/11/13 01:43 AM Re: Quinn killed 6/5 [Re: NCStephen]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
Originally Posted By: NCStephen
This is probably best shared, when it is time, by Nice n Easy as they were riding buddies and he would have any details available. Funeral was to be today.

NCS

I will share some additional information shortly but I don't want to jump the gun and share anything that the family hasn't already heard and had time to cope with.

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
#837666 - 06/17/13 03:18 AM Bob Quinn Celko [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
EddyQ Offline
EddyQ  Offline

Lexington, Ma
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
There's a nicely written obituary for Bob here.

Dang. I've never met QUINN, but enjoyed his posts. Wow, what a great loss. My condolenses to his friends and family.

2007 BMW R1200RT
#838425 - 06/21/13 08:48 PM Message from Quinn's Wife  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
Hi Folks,

Below is a note that Bob's wife Janet asked me to pass along. As you'll see, she asks everyone, from her painful experience, to make sure they carry identification in several places. Janet wasn't notified of Bob's accident for several hours afterwards and, even then, only when she received a phone call telling her where the bike was towed and that there might be storage charges. Apparently the state trooper removed Bob's wallet (and ID) before he was air-lifted to the hospital and even the hospital didn't know who he was. They, for whatever reason, had him listed under his first and middle names.

Hopefully we can all learn from this horrible experience.

(Administrator: Please try to re-post without the links my computer sees to be inserting in Janet's note. Thanks.)

Dear BMW riders and others,

I have been overwhelmed by your outpourings of sympathy and condolences. You were able to know the Bob (Quinn) that I knew and I am happy for him that he found a place where he could be himself. I am also very appreciative of every one of you.

I was not happy when he started riding motorcycles, as I worked in health care for my entire career. I have seen the damage caused by them and could not get over that. But I knew he loved it, and would do it in spite of my feelings. So I kept my mouth shut. I should have ranted and raved. So, I don't mean to lecture or be a downer, but I feel so strongly that you need to know that your pleasure has ramifications far beyond you.

I feel like I need to give you some hints that I think could have made this event somewhat easier.

Have identification in several places on your body. Things get separated in an accident.

Have a burner cell. Cell phones blue-toothed into GPS or radios get smashed and there is no way of contact.

On all smart phones load the ICE (In Case of Emergency) app. I know you have been told to load ICE as a contact but the app is even better. It has places for contacts and health care information.

Take only from your wallet what you need to travel. Bob's wallet has disappeared and I have had to cancel all credit cards, just at a time when credit cards could come in handy.

Take your wife, daughter, husband, son, friend, etc. and show them the emergency room areas of your local (and this could be surrounding counties) hospitals. They will need to find them when they are under extreme stress.

Tell someone what to do with all the leftover motorcycle gear stored wherever you keep it.

Don't think that insurance money can replace you.

Treat each ride as if it could be your last. Tell them you love them

Oh yes, I guess you should know, that I am writing this at 4 AM after being awake most of the night. You see, itís hard to sleep, when your heart is broken,

Sincerely,

Janet Celko

Last edited by Nice n Easy Rider; 06/21/13 08:51 PM.

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
#838440 - 06/21/13 10:57 PM Re: Message from Quinn's Wife [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
Huzband Offline
Huzband  Offline

Cowford, Fl.
While it's good info, I found it most moving. I could see the tears on her face. My heart & prayers go out to her.

Oh, & that trooper was an inconsiderate ass. He should be reprimanded at the very least.

Danny

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'10 530 XC-W Six Days
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'02 GasGas 280 Pro (Squirrel)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

#838455 - 06/22/13 01:00 AM Re: Message from Quinn's Wife [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

I wish I could hug her right now.

#838461 - 06/22/13 01:57 AM Re: Message from Quinn's Wife [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
beemerman2k Offline
Administrator
beemerman2k  Offline
Administrator

Ellington, CT
Ms Celko, I am so heartbroken over the loss of your husband, and the overwhelming pain you are having to endure.

Thank you for reaching out to us, for educating us on the implications of our passion for riding. Thank you for doing your part to ensure other family will be spared some of the pain you are having to experience.

beemerman2k
'00 R1100RT Opal Blue Metallic
<11 year haitus from motorcycling cry >
'09 K1300GT U of Michigan Blue, baby! thumbsup
Defeat is my teacher, not my master - Bruce Lee
#838487 - 06/22/13 12:04 PM Re: Message from Quinn's Wife [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
Again Janet, I just want to say how sorry we all are for your loss. I also wanted to thank you for allowing your husband back into riding motorcycles. If not, we would not of had the pleasure to meet Bob and get to sample his sense of humor. As trivial and cliche as this sounds, he was doing something he really loved.

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#838507 - 06/22/13 05:37 PM Re: Message from Quinn's Wife [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
Peter Parts Offline
Peter Parts  Offline

Toronto and Delray Beach, FL
Hit home. Had to think about this quandary overnight since I have a very loving wife, many kids and grandkids.

I think we all can understand the sentiments of a spouse, parent, or child. What mature rider doesn't think about leaving behind loved ones and family dependents (in the best senses of the word)?

Sometimes it is unknown to our spouses what compromises well-meaning bikers really are making so as to be around for them. I can't speak for Quinn, but I am sure many of us ride with an additional element of care thinking of our loved ones.

Here's a suggestion: each time when throwing your leg over the saddle ask yourself, "Is there anything happening in my life at this moment that might hinder my safety on this scoot through emotion or distraction?"

Ben

Last edited by Peter Parts; 06/22/13 05:41 PM.

R1100S, 1999 (don't know much about other models)
Riding 52 years but only last 47 on BMW boxers
Bike writings: http://www.tinyurl.com/6bvt23
(includes a 6400 mile trip, 20 days, with wife to LA)
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12