Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
#843303 - 07/24/13 02:45 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: MikeRC]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

Marietta GA
Originally Posted By: MikeRC
Then there is the problem that fewer then 50% of Americans have a passport.
I get your point, Mike, I don't think national averages apply. The real question is how many active BMWSTers who live in the US have a passport? I'd be willing to bet this group runs well above the average. We are talking a very specific sub-group, because even though this board has thousands and thousands of members ... only a small percentage attend the UNs. I would love to go to a Canadian event, provided I had the vacation time for the travel.

Originally Posted By: MikeRC
We are also having the same problem as Jan has pointed out with cost of venues during the high season of June 21 - Labor Day.
Agreed. It's about the same for the Southeast & Mid-Atlantic states, though Fall tends to be the highest price season with Spring/Summer being either equal to or perhaps below that. Prime real estate in the mountains is nearly always expensive everywhere I've searched. The good news is weekdays are almost always much cheaper than weekends, but it can still be pricey (they have to make money in the seasons they CAN make money).

To no one in particular (up for general discussion):

While I'm no expert ... I've been co-hosting a wknd ride event (RCR) for 5 years now and over the same period of time have been looking for possible UN locations in the WV/VA/NC/TN area (mostly online but a fair amount of physical scouting, too).

However, considering our "UN criteria" ... The single biggest limiting factor I run into is Venue Size. Most hotels in the mountainous regions tend towards 30-60 rooms. Couple that with having some sort of convenient Camping alternative the number of possibilities plummets drastically. While venue size can't really be negotiable, clearly the camping requirement really can be viewed as a variable (and don't get me wrong ... I love to camp ... I'm just relating my experience searching for UN locations based on our criteria).

Another major constraint is cost. The number of appropriately-sized venues (even without considering camping) dwindles markedly at the $100/night price point, but drops exponentially for every $10 less/night. As Matt has pointed out, UN X was somewhat above the hoped-for price point but that certainly didn't negatively affect attendance.

I've also run into a few other constraints ... having a place for folks to gather/mingle is usually not a tough one as many folks are fine with hanging out in the parking lot (though it's nicer to have a several possibilities ... lounge/bar, sitting areas, & parking lot). However, both Ken and I have come across some great locations that were negated due to the in ability to drink anywhere except the lounge.

Food options can be a bit of a tough one to work out in that having a room large enough (and cheap enough) for that last night meal. As for proximity of good roads I personally don't bother even looking in areas where there are few good roads, scenery, or too much traffic.

My point is ... there are almost no venues that fit all the "UN criteria." We have to be able to flex and assess a venue for it's overall likelihood for a successful UN. Now what that combination must be is, believe me, a point that can be debated until the cows come home. Just find what you think is a good location/venue and submit it as a proposal to Fernando.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#843318 - 07/24/13 06:35 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: TyTass]  
Endobobdds Offline
Endobobdds  Offline

Washington, DC
Great summary Craig. thumbsup

Your summary and Matt's statement that "you can certainly not please everyone" must be considered for any UnRally. I, also, think that most active distance riders have passports or would get one if we had an UNRally held in Canada.

Bob Smyth
K1200RS ('02 Black)
email: endobobdds@gmail.com
#843334 - 07/24/13 08:21 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: EffBee]  
randy Offline
randy  Offline

Atlanta, Ga, USA
As a rider who has attended, UN, the West Virginia Friends & Family rally, the old El Paseo, blue ridge rendezvous, and current HeleNback, and I am thinking many more, I will (as opinion only) say I am not sure one specific venue would matter to me. Two venues with a shared parking lot, (i.e. same side of street) I think would be fine. I also love to camp, and now have an enclosed trailer if I want to travel, but again to me that is fifth on the list to Roads, scenery, venue, dinner. So as noted above if you are willing to organize an event (and many thanks upfront) and you think you have items 1 & 2, put your plan on paper and send it in. Even if it involves two motels, and a separate place for dinner. I remember one UN, not sure which one, but dinner I think was at a local fairground. Everyone rode over and back and it worked out fine. As noted by someone above, we are somewhat unique subset of the population, and as such, I think we are far more flexible than standard :-)

Last edited by randy; 07/24/13 08:24 PM.

Atlanta, Ga
2015 SKR Alpine
2009 BMW 450x Dual sport
2006 SV1000 Randy's track bike
2006 KLX 250x (For sell)
#843337 - 07/24/13 08:35 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: Endobobdds]  
Jake Offline
Madcap
Jake  Offline
Madcap

South Florida
I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.

'76 R90/6
'04 ST4S
'18 RT
#843338 - 07/24/13 08:41 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: Jake]  
T.M. Roe Offline
T.M. Roe  Offline

Rural, MN USA
...more Un Un?

T.M.Roe
"Just an ordinary average guy"
#843339 - 07/24/13 08:46 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: T.M. Roe]  
Jake Offline
Madcap
Jake  Offline
Madcap

South Florida
You know it sugarplum. No need to take the Un out of Gunnison. That's where The Love is.

'76 R90/6
'04 ST4S
'18 RT
#843340 - 07/24/13 08:49 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: Jake]  
T.M. Roe Offline
T.M. Roe  Offline

Rural, MN USA
Now I'm confused, should I hydrate and stretch more or less?

T.M.Roe
"Just an ordinary average guy"
#843344 - 07/24/13 09:50 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: Jake]  
Whip Offline
Whip  Offline

Salida Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jake
I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.

+1

I am their leader, which way did they go?
#843348 - 07/24/13 09:56 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: Jake]  
Firefight911 Offline
Sparkle Farkle
Firefight911  Offline
Sparkle Farkle

Rancho Cordova, CA
Originally Posted By: Jake

Make it more Un.

I like this idea.

Phil Challinor

'16 GMC Denali HD Crew LB Diesel
'16 Mazda 3 HB
#843350 - 07/24/13 10:17 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: Whip]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

How about Fort Wayne? After all, if it's good enough for the Wing Dingers ...

+1 for Gunnison

Last edited by John Ranalletta; 07/24/13 10:18 PM.

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike