BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
#843357 - 07/24/13 10:28 PM Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin [Re: EffBee]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
I made it to Salida......I suppose I could make it the extra 70 miles to Gunnison grin
That also makes it close enough to Salida for a lunch run to the Boathouse for the BACON!!! MMMMMmMmMmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW......no one would ever have to twist my arm to go back to CO.

-Keith (Yup, thats me...and my rubber chicken)

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)
#843359 - 07/24/13 10:30 PM Re: Colorado? [Re: EffBee]  
Ron_B Offline
Raaaaan!
Ron_B  Offline
Raaaaan!

Grayslake Illinois
Originally, the Un was going to be West - Central - East, but the Central was scrapped after Un2 in Arkansas. Colorado is as close to Central as to West, so maybe we should consider anyplace west of the Mississippi to be West. Still a lot of pretty country/great roads in Missouri & Arkansas. Just a thought, I'll go anywhere of course.

AMA Charter Life - BMWMOA - CRBMW - IBA - ChiTown Crew.

"An adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

G. K. Chesterton
#843391 - 07/25/13 02:08 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: EffBee]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

Colorado, USA
Interesting thoughts. At present, there is no intention of deviating from our West/East alternating years. Of interest to me is to see that the Eastern Uns always seem far more to the east than the Western Uns are to the west. But everyone seems to like them. And we'e not even explored the north/south options.

Personally, I'm opposed to a single location, or even region. That gets boring more often than not. Colorado is truly beautiful. And my wife and I own properties in Montrose (about 60 mi. from Gunnison and 120 or so from Salida), so from a personal perspective I could go to an Un in Colorado, visit tenants and meet with the property managers and make an Un trip into a tax write-off every two years. But as pretty as it is, there are many other parts of the country where this website has yet to hold an Un. There's the CA coast, WA/OR, MT/ID, WI/MN, KY/TN, Upstate NY/New England. Even an early-summer Un in the southwest (Ruidoso NM, Flagstaff/Sedona & Grand Canyon area, Big Bend NP or TX Hill Country, etc).

Unfortunately, we're often limited in our UnRally locations based on the proposals we receive. If we only get one proposal, then guess where the Un is going to be? Wherever that organizer has researched and arranged. The Admin Team can choose based on where we haven't been before and what suits the greatest number of members. But to choose there must first be a choice. So receiving legitimate proposals from more than just one or two members makes that possible. And for those not chosen, there's always next time. We've had proposals that were not chosen that came back to life two years later and were accepted.

As a group we've made some excellent impressions. Topaz Lodge near Lake Tahoe will have us back in a heartbeat. We took care of their place and they liked that. Same for the family-run hotel in Salida. And I think Little Switzerland and other eastern locations are likewise inclined. We're a good group and we represent motorcycling very well. We should be welcomed anywhere, and not just for our money. Our references are sterling.

- - - - -

On to other things that have been referenced in this thread.

One location (hotel/motel) is usually best. But if you can't fit everyone in, then two locations within reasonable distance will also work. People will find each other. A single main location is not etched in stone. Neither is the camping requirement. If it's there, great. If it's a bit of a hike, well let's not dismiss a good potential Un location because the rural area is, uh, rural.

We've had to hike to get to campgrounds. We've had to pack 20 into the back of a pickup truck to get to the VFW hall for our last meal. We've had restaurants you could walk to and stumble home from. And we've had to ride to them because they were just where they were and that was that.

We've had places with shopping and other non-motorcycle things to do. And we've had places where riding was all there was. And in all of these cases, even if there was a little inconvenience, that faded quickly as the memories of the companionship, new friends and joviality made our recollections joyful.

It was said in a post above that it seems like there's no "perfect" place for an UnRally. That's correct. No site has everything. And it's also wrong. True that no place is extrinsically perfect. But by the time we get together, meet, greet, shake hands, hug, ride together, break bread, ride together some more, share a beverage, tell lies, tell even bigger lies, ride yet again, share a final meal together, and pack up and head our individual ways, we always seem to discover that where the Un was held that year was in fact the perfect place.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#843398 - 07/25/13 02:59 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: EffBee]  
beemerboy Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO
beemerboy  Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO

Colorado Springs, CO
Wow, this is like herding cats. lurk

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#843400 - 07/25/13 03:06 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: beemerboy]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: beemerboy
Wow, this is like herding cats. lurk

Well, that's insulting to the cats! grin

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#843401 - 07/25/13 03:14 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: T.M. Roe]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: T.M. Roe
...more Un Un?

+1

My first UN was at Gunnison where I met a lot of fine folks and had a great time.

I would love to go back there again!

And if it is good enough for T.M. Roe, it is good enough for me.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#843414 - 07/25/13 05:33 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: EffBee]  
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs Offline
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs  Offline

Beaverton, OR
Hey Bud. How have you been? We had some fun times in Gunnison.

-Steve
'05 R1200ST
Previously `96 & `99 R1100GS, `99 & `00 R1100RT
#843421 - 07/25/13 11:09 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: Bud]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Has the UN changed?
That is, has the raison d'etre become fellowship first and riding the UNarea second?

Asking the question to see if the reason we gather is to ride
those roads or to ride and hang with
these people ?

Both are good reasons.

To me, the journey there, and riding new areas is fun.

But mostly I'm IN for the people. (Well except for one of youz guyz grin )

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 1100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#843429 - 07/25/13 11:47 AM Re: Colorado? [Re: tallman]  
T.M. Roe Offline
T.M. Roe  Offline

Rural, MN USA
I can never remember when I was on a particular road.
Its not that important to me.
For me its always about the people (and the Love).

I think that when you put a group of interesting people together, special things can happen.

Those moments are it for me.

Give me any playground or blank easel along with some interesting folks, I'll find fun.

My Un is the juxtaposition to what most want.

T.M.Roe
"Just an ordinary average guy"
#843441 - 07/25/13 12:31 PM Re: Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin [Re: OoPEZoO]  
rogera Offline
rogera  Offline

Haslet, TX
Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO
I made it to Salida......I suppose I could make it the extra 70 miles to Gunnison grin
That also makes it close enough to Salida for a lunch run to the Boathouse for the BACON!!! MMMMMmMmMmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW......no one would ever have to twist my arm to go back to CO.

+1 on CO. as a matter of fact going to stop in Salida and have me some bacon on my way to Torrey this year.

Roger
07 R1200 RT
15 Yamaha FZ-07 traded
12 R 1200 GS sold
09 R 1200 RT Traded
05 R 1200 RT Traded
http://rogerm.smugmug.com
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike