Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#877640 - 04/02/14 03:34 AM How to create and upload an avatar  
Caddis Offline
Caddis  Offline

Louisville, Colorado
If you would like to customize your BMWST user account by adding an avatar (personal image for your account), you will need to create an image that is no larger than 120 x 120 pixels, and edit your profile to use that image.

The hardest part about setting up your avatar is creating an image of the appropriate size. If you are already familiar with re-sizing images, or you already have an image of the appropriate size, you can skip the first section and go to "UPDATING YOUR PROFILE".

--------------------------------------------------
CREATING AN AVATAR IMAGE

The image that you use for your avatar must be no larger than 120 x 120 pixels in size. Since images are usually much larger than that, you will likely have to shrink your image to the correct size. There are lots of different software tools that can help you do this. In the following instructions, I use the Microsoft Paint program, which is a standard accessory installed with Windows. But the same concepts apply to most other image editing programs.

1) Open your image in your editing program. For this example, the image is on my Windows desktop, and I use the mouse to right-click on the image, and select "Open with" -> "Paint"

2) This should open the Paint program, and display the image.

3) We are going to re-size the image to make it smaller. Click on the "Resize" button.

4) In the resize dialog, select "Pixels" so that we can specify a new size in pixels, and select the "Maintain aspect ratio" checkbox so that the image will retain its original "shape" when it is resized.

5) Then change the size of the edge (horizontal or vertical) that is the largest value, setting its size to 120 pixels. In my case, the image is wider than it is tall, so I change the width to 120. The other dimension should change automatically as long as you have the "Maintain aspect ratio" checkbox checked. Then click the "OK" button.

6) Your image should now be the correct size (no larger than 120 x 120 pixels).

7) Now save your resized image to a file. You can save it as a .jpg, .png, or .gif image. In Paint, click on the button in the upper left corner to open the "File" menu, select "Save As", and select the file format that you want. In this example, I'm going to save it as a .jpg image.

8) Select where to save the image, and give it a new file name. In this example, I save it to my Windows desktop, and call it "sunset-small.jpg". Then click the "Save" button to save the image.

You now have an appropriately sized image that you can use as your avatar, but as noted (with the 9/28/14 Mod Edit below) you will need to upload your image to your own photo hosting site.

UPDATING YOUR PROFILE

Once you have an appropriately sized image, you can edit your BMWST site profile to use the image as your avatar.

There are two methods for setting up an avatar. One way is to upload your image directly to the BMWST web site.
The other way is to upload your image to an image sharing web site such as Smugmug, Photobucket, or Flickr, and then give BMSWT a link to the image.

Uploading an image to a photo sharing site and getting a link to it is a more involved process, and isn't described here. In this example, I will upload an image directly to the BMWST site. Please look at the Discussion Board Support list of Threads and choose the photo hosting site directions that apply to you. (Smugmug, Flickr, etc...)

1) On the BMWST site, edit your profile by clicking on the "My Stuff" link at the top of the page, and then select "Edit Profile".

2) At the bottom of the Edit Profile page, select "Upload your avatar", and click on the "Browse" button. take the photo URL from your photo hosting site and insert it in the appropriate box here.

3) Select the location of your image, and the image itself. In my case, it is on my desktop, and is called "sunset-small.jpg". Then click the "Open" button.

4) You should now see the Edit Profile page again, with the file name filled in. Click the "Submit" button to upload your image.

5) Your avatar should now be uploaded to the site, and you should see it on the Edit Profile page.

6) If your avatar does not show up, or it does not look correct for some reason, you may need to refresh the web page in your browser. Try pressing CTRL/R (or COMMAND/R on Mac?), or click on the "refresh" icon at the end of the address bar at the top of the browser. For example:

9/28/14 MOD NOTE to Members:

There was an incident that prompted some security permissions on the site to be tightened and this is not currently an option.

If you upload the avatar to a picture hosting site (SmugMug, PhotoBucket, etc...) and then use the URL of that file in your profile for the avatar location it should work just fine.

Last edited by Glenn Reed; 07/15/16 12:47 AM.
#892342 - 06/28/14 04:22 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Caddis]  
Gooner Offline
Gooner  Offline

Purgatory AL, USA
It is Command-R on the Mac. However, after trying to upload a properly sized .jpg to the site using a Mac running OS X (10.9.3) and trying Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, I was finally successful using the third-party URL (in this case Photobucket.)

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
James - 02 R1150RT MOA, RA, DC43.
#905760 - 09/25/14 10:44 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Caddis]  
PLW Offline
PLW  Offline

So. Cal.
I've followed the instructions above but am unable to get my avatar to show up. I reduced the size to 119 pixels and tried it as both a gif and jpg to no avail. I am trying to upload directly to the website. Perhaps that is no longer possible?

#905809 - 09/26/14 12:18 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: PLW]  
Glenn Reed Offline
Glenn Reed  Offline

Towson MD
Originally Posted By: PLW
I've followed the instructions above but am unable to get my avatar to show up. I reduced the size to 119 pixels and tried it as both a gif and jpg to no avail. I am trying to upload directly to the website. Perhaps that is no longer possible?

Correct. There was an incident that prompted some security permissions on the site to be tightened and this is not currently an option.

If you upload the avatar to a picture hosting site (SmugMug, PhotoBucket, etc...) and then use the URL of that file in your profile for the avatar location it should work just fine.

"And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too. Khaled Hosseini

Hanlon's Razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
#905855 - 09/26/14 08:01 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Glenn Reed]  
PLW Offline
PLW  Offline

So. Cal.
Originally Posted By: Glenn Reed
Originally Posted By: PLW

Correct. There was an incident that prompted some security permissions on the site to be tightened and this is not currently an option.

Thank you!

#930035 - 05/13/15 03:44 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: PLW]  
Oilcruzer Offline
Just Joined
Oilcruzer  Offline
Just Joined

BC, Canada
Hmmm... I'm guessing that a link for dropbox of OneDrive isn't going to work...?

-None of us are getting out of here alive.
#930045 - 05/13/15 04:17 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Oilcruzer]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
I believe that you are correct as far as dropbox. You can "share" pictures with dropbox, but not really a url link to the image file for the purpose of hosting required for an avatar or photos.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#942532 - 09/13/15 03:22 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Caddis]  
Overbyte Offline
Overbyte  Offline

Melbourne Florida
OK, I have followed the instructions for for both the disabled option and Photobucket.
No luck.
I guess it is just some kind of right of passage...
Oh well, I tried.

No matter where you go, there you are.

2008 R1200RT "QuickSilver"
#960655 - 05/13/16 10:31 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Caddis]  
Lowndes Offline
Lowndes  Offline

Roswell, GA
I did the smugmug thing and IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. What gives??

Old Fart Newbie
#960742 - 05/14/16 11:51 PM Re: How to create and upload an avatar [Re: Lowndes]  
mnTwin Online
mnTwin  Online

Twin Cities, MN
Originally Posted By: Lowndes
I did the smugmug thing and IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. What gives??

Are you sure? If I right-click on your current avatar, and select "copy image address", then paste that link, I see this:
Code:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/files/27939.jpg

That means it's still trying to use a file uploaded to this site--which won't work.

As an example, if I do the same thing on my avatar image, I see this:
Code:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5156/6930850744_04745aa8af_m.jpg

Make sure that you select "URL to your avatar" and paste the link to smugmug in there. (Not "Upload your avatar".)

Page 1 of 2 1 2