Page 2 of 2 1 2
#966202 - 07/19/16 03:14 AM Re: Repairing a Flat Tubeless Tire [Re: Lowndes]  
shuber Offline
Newer Member
shuber  Offline
Newer Member

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Lowndes

Some holes are cuts and you might have to put a boot or patch on the inside of the tire to get you home, carry a 2 in x 3 in patch, too.

I agree with all your suggestions, with one exception: I very much doubt you will be able to patch the inside of a tubeless tire on the road side with the tools you can easily carry. Those suckers are stiff, the bead takes much effort to break, you'll need some serious tire irons to pry the tire loose, and you need a lot of air pressure to reseat the bead.

edit: I'm saying this with a "typical" touring/day rider in mind. If you're off to ride across the Sahara, up to Prudhoe Bay, or challenge the local Starbucks I'm sure you know what you're doing... wink

Steve

Last edited by shuber; 07/19/16 03:19 AM.

Steve
Madison, WI
#966223 - 07/19/16 01:47 PM Re: Repairing a Flat Tubeless Tire [Re: eddd]  
szurszewski Online
szurszewski  Online

Portland, OR
Id rather not remove a tire roadside, but it can be done. My son and I (he's seven) replaced a tire in our driveway this weekend. I don't have any tire tools anymore - we used a five or so foot 2x4 and a wood block to break the bead, zip ties and a motopumps mini compressor. Could use another bike's side stand if you didn't have a lever.

Really though I'd just use the strings and call for a tow if needed and possible rather than do all that roadside. BUT it is reassuring to know we could do it if necessary.

*insert witty remark here*
#966317 - 07/21/16 12:53 AM Re: Repairing a Flat Tubeless Tire [Re: eddd]  
Lowndes Offline
Lowndes  Offline

Roswell, GA
Shuber, Agreed to your comments, EXCEPT: I've broken beads on car tires by running over them (tangentially) with another car. I'd bet it works for MC tires, too. Lots of posts and youtubes of removing/mounting MC tires with zipties. Also, all you need to do is get one side off, and then back on.

Seating the beads can be done with a rope and a stick.

I'd rather NOT be limited by the lack of parts/materials, especially a ONE OUNCE PATCH, in a remote locale. Where there's a will, ... etc. You never know what you can do 'til you HAVE to!! Remind me to tell you the one about the frog. And the one about the bear.

Last edited by Lowndes; 07/21/16 01:02 AM.

Old Fart Newbie
#966361 - 07/22/16 12:24 AM Re: Repairing a Flat Tubeless Tire [Re: eddd]  
Lowndes Offline
Lowndes  Offline

Roswell, GA
eddd,

THANKS for the info on the Slime pump. You can save $5 by ordering the same pump in the kit for $24.99 from amazon. Mine arrived today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M8SY0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'Slime 50001 Power Sport Smart Spair
Sold by: ProElectronics Distributing Product question? Ask Seller
$24.99'

It comes with all the connectors, same pump, a zipper case and a bottle of slime. Toss all the unnecessary stuff. The case might be OK for all the patches, glue, gloves, ropes, pliers.

Old Fart Newbie
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EffBee