IGNORED

Plugged Injectors

JIM HILTON

I HAVE PICKED UP A 2002 1150RT WITH 24K MILES.... THE BIKE HAD BEEN SITTING SINCE 06, WITH OLD FUEL IN THE TANK. I PUT IT IN THE SHOP FOR A COMPLETE SERVICE BUT NOW 2 WEEKS AND ONLY ABOUT 100 MILES THE INJECTORS ARE PLUGGED UP.. I'M NOT SURPRISED THIS HAS HAPPEND AND I HAVE PUT INJECTOR CLEANER IN THE TANK BUT THE BIKE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO RIDE.. IT DOES RUN AND IDLE... HIGH RPM SEEMS FINE.. THE STUMBLE IS JUST ABOVE IDLE, ABOUT 2500 RPM... QUESTION: AM I GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE THIS BIKE TORN DOWN OR CAN SOMEBODY SUGGEST A QUICK FIX?

Evening Jim

If high RPM's are fine that usually doesn't point to plugged injectors.

If you have a plugged up fuel system or the fuel pressure in low due to a ruptured hose or plugged fuel filter in the fuel tank then you are going to need to take it apart & find the problem.

I would suggest you start with a fuel return fuel flow test (that will tell you IF you have enough fuel pressure at enough flow)

If you pass the return fuel flow test then remove each injector & with it hooked up to the power & fuel line then crank the engine with injector pointed into a glass jar & see what the spray pattern looks like.

You might be fighting a fuel problem or you might have other issues like an engine sensor issue or ?????

Also, did you look in the air box to see if it is full of mouse nest?

Pulled mine,and attached the wife,s yard sprayer to the inlet,and "applied" 12 Volts repeatedly to the injectors...with

Coleman lantern fuel....Checked the spray pattern on a Paper towel in a clear pie plate....Got ALOT of garbage out,and after about 20 "applications" of voltage the pattern looked great.

This sounds inherently dangerous,but if you attach Battery leads to the injector,and apply the voltage a safe distance away it works flawlessly.Necessity is the mother of invention.....

Jim,

If the bike has been sitting since 2006, I would have definitely pulled the tank and checked the filter, pump and interior hoses. IMHO, it would behoove you to R&R the above before getting into the injectors.

I CAN'T FIND THE PAPERS AND I DON'T REMEMBER LOOKING VERY CLOSE AT THEM... WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS I TOLD THEM TO CHANGE ALL THE HOSES AND ALL THE FLUIDS. AND TO FLUSH THE TANK...NOW THE LAST BIKE I OWNED HAD 4 CARBS.. IT'S BEEN AWHILE.. IF THE ENGINE IS STARVING AT 2500RPM, WHICH MIGHT BE CAUSED BY THE FUEL FILTER BEING CLOGGED, WOULDN'T IT ALSO STARVE AT A HIGHER RPM??? DOES THIS BIKE HAVE A HIGH SPEED FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM?? I FOUND THE PAPER WORK :clap: THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER, JUST DRAINED THE TANK...AND THEY DID'T CHANGE THE HOSES...

LET ME ADD SOME MORE INFO...AFTER THE SERVICE AND BEFORE THIS ISSUE, WHILE CRUISING @ ABOUT 3000RPM I NOTICED A SLIGHT PULSING FEELING IN MY THROTTLE WHICH WENT ON FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS, THEN THE COUGHING STARTED. NOW IT DOESN'T HAVE THE POWER TO CLIMB MY DRIVEWAY..

Hi Jim some great advice here, but can I request that you the CAPS LOCK be turned off. It is the internet way of SHOUTING. We know you are not shouting, so please drop to lower case. :-)

It definitely could be fuel related especially given the length of time it sat. Flushing and not changing the filter is a big mistake. The deposits in the the tank and those deposited on the walls of the tank are now free to float around and end up in the filter. All the angles and pockets in this tank make it really difficult to effectively clean with a quick flush. Hard to tell what they actually did that they are calling a "flush".

As for different performance at different rpms, I can tell you from personal experience that it is entirely possible for the bike to run fine at high rpms and stumble at low rpms. I had a fuel pump going out putting out pressure well below the normal 42 psi. It would sometimes stumble when going slow and then run right up to red line. This inconsistency made diagnosis very difficult.

As has been suggested you really need to check your fuel flow/pressure. Looking at the spray pattern of the injectors might not be that useful since you are unlikely to know what they look like when they are performing properly.

LET ME ADD SOME MORE INFO...AFTER THE SERVICE AND BEFORE THIS ISSUE, WHILE CRUISING @ ABOUT 3000RPM I NOTICED A SLIGHT PULSING FEELING IN MY THROTTLE WHICH WENT ON FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS, THEN THE COUGHING STARTED. NOW IT DOESN'T HAVE THE POWER TO CLIMB MY DRIVEWAY..

Morning Jim

You really need to do a fuel flow test & fuel return flow test. (or have it done)

Without that info we are all just guessing.

OR, at least replace the fuel filter, replace the fuel pump intake sock, & replace the high pressure hoses inside the thank.

If fact if it was sitting with sour fuel in the tank you should replace ALL the hoses in the tank.

Any on the fuel flow problems should show up first at higher RPM / higher road loads but probably won't show up just free-revving the engine sitting still.

Jim,

If the bike has been sitting since 2006, I would have definitely pulled the tank and checked the filter, pump and interior hoses. IMHO, it would behoove you to R&R the above before getting into the injectors.

+1 on this. Start here.

THANKS EVERYBODY. I guess it might be best to bite the bullet and ship it back to the shop and have them finish what they should have done in the first place..

Afternoon Jim

You might be better off finding a NEW shop that has more competent technical staff & takes more care in their work.

+1 on that OR get to know your bike...Do it yourself.....Plenty of new parts available from the Beemerboneyard,and they are great people to deal with...

Hi Jim,

Another thing to consider "while yer in there" is to replace the gas line quick disconnects. I'd bet money the original plastic ones are still there and will sure as heck leak if not already leaking. There are newer metal replacements, cost a tad more $ than the plastic ones, but it's a once you've done it you won't have to again.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Indy

GOOD MORNING EVERYBODY, I have an update...MY connectors have been changed. I have dismantled the fuel tank and so far all that I have found is a ruptured air line inside the tank. I'll change both lines and check the fuel pressure after changing the filter also.. In a earlier post I stated that the engine ran fie at higher rpm, I found that to not be true, The engine starved and all but stalled...the screen is clean, as was the fuel when I emptied the tank.. I put my hand in the tank expecting the walls to be coated with brown jellyfish but it too was clean.. My question is why/how is the line that is ruptured all that important?

Afternoon Jim

That depends on what you mean by AIR LINE. BMW has no Air Line.

It has a fuel pressure line, fuel return line, filler cap ring water drain hose, & the tank vent line.

If your problem was actually a ruptured "vent line" then the usual things that happen is fuel running out of the evap system & ending up coming out the hose behind the R/H foot peg (somewhat full tank)

OR, the evap can (black can rear of bike) becoming fuel logged & plugged up. This can sometimes allow carbon to be pulled into the fuel tank or the evap can can plug up therefore plugging up & restricting the tank vent.

When the tank vent gets restricted the first thing you notice is a wooshing sound when you open the filler cap after riding for a while, next thing you notice is the tank becoming sucked is, & last thing you usually notice is the fuel gauge not reading correctly (when the tank sides suck in it causes the fuel gauge float tube to ding & crush)

Added: did you inspect the "U" shaped hose with a magnifying glass while bending it? That those can look like new but still have pin holes in it allowing lower fuel pressure.

What fuel pressure did you get when you tested it? Did you test the fuel pressure with a hot engine hot fuel tank? (sometimes those hoses won't leak or leak much cold)

Edited by dirtrider

When I made my last post I hadn't taken a close look at all the hoses...I did find the high pressure hose coming from the filter had failed... bingo.. thanks everybody for your input...BTW, what is the life expectancy of the fuel pump?

Morning Jim

Aptly put----- bingo

Fuel pump life is anywhere from about 60 seconds to almost infinity DEPENDING on how much it is used, if it is kept submerged in cooling/lubricating gasoline, what kind of junk it has to pump, & operating current/voltage, it's in-tank storage environment, etc.

If you haven't done so already, as I stated in my earlier post, it would be BEST if you replaced ALL fuel system hoses in the tank :thumbsup:. And I'm assuming they replaced the fuel filter.

As far as the fuel pump, DR has it right :) !

Jim, when you are ordering up, don't forget the rubber fuel pump damper...it will either be in pieces or feel like a piece of brittle plastic.

A few of us have done the fuel tank hose R&R lately, you will find plenty of info if you do a search on the site, including part numbers, prices etc :thumbsup:.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my parts from beemerboneyard and everything inside the tank has been replaced... Bike runs great and I thank everybody for their support and advice... The problem was the small rubber hose exiting the fuel filter...

• 6 years later...
Balibeemer
On 9/28/2014 at 7:01 PM, dirtrider said:

Morning Jim

More like EUREKA and I know it’s an old post!

Aptly put----- bingo

Fuel pump life is anywhere from about 60 seconds to almost infinity DEPENDING on how much it is used, if it is kept submerged in cooling/lubricating gasoline, what kind of junk it has to pump, & operating current/voltage, it's in-tank storage environment, etc.