IGNORED

Rear Brake Bleeding Frustration

smutny

First off, the bike is a 2000 R1100R, non ABS.

Rear brake line failed, bought a Spiegler replacement.

Manual bleeding, don't have a vacuum pump.

After about 90 minutes of press the pedal, open the valve, close the valve, release the pedal... nothing. No pressure, no fluid/air movement, nothing.

Thinking of picking up a vacuum pump to make sure I've got fluid through the whole system, but I've never seen this, where I don't even get air movement.

Anyone else encounter this?

Morning smutny

You shouldn't have any problems bleeding that rear brake circuit.

Are you putting the brake fluid in the correct place?

There is a rubber diaphragm in the rear master cylinder resiviour that MUST be removed before adding brake fluid.

If you are removing that rubber diaphragm then about the only things I can think of are:

_Improperly adjusted rear pedal push rod not allowing the internal piston to uncover the fluid port with pedal released. (is internal piston FULLY returning)

_Or a blockage in the new brake line.

_Or crud or something blocking the resiviour outlet to the master cylinder.

If you aren't putting the fluid ON TOP OF the internal resiviour diaphragm then my next guess would be an improperly adjusted rear pedal push rod.

I had this very problem on all calipers. Turned out to be defective "speed bleeder" valves I had installed a year earlier. I removed the speed valves and replaced with the originals, and there were no further problems.

If you don't know whether you have the original or aftermarket valves, pick up new valves. I think they are relatively inexpensive.

First off, the bike is a 2000 R1100R, non ABS.

Rear brake line failed, bought a Spiegler replacement.

Manual bleeding, don't have a vacuum pump.

After about 90 minutes of press the pedal, open the valve, close the valve, release the pedal... nothing. No pressure, no fluid/air movement, nothing.

Thinking of picking up a vacuum pump to make sure I've got fluid through the whole system, but I've never seen this, where I don't even get air movement.

Anyone else encounter this?

When you say press the pedal, open the valve, close the valve... and nothing... do you mean you aren't getting any fluid? As stated above, not much going on in the system. Are you sure you have fluid in the container as described, and are you sure the bleeder is open? Have you tried removing the bleed valve completely? Since you have a new line, your system is already full of air, so no worries about getting more in there really...

edit: if that doesn't do anything, are you sure your new line banjo fitting is attached correctly and that the line is open (if it were me, and I couldn't get anywhere, I'd take the line off and blow through it {super carefully with really low pressure so you don't spray brake fluid all over creation} to make sure it was unobstructed).

Edited by szurszewski

I suspect the rear master is gone.

All the push push push has torn the rubber as it chunks thru the crud ring.

Since it's a non-ABS bike, I imagine annual brake flushes weren't thought as critical.

Turns out it was the bleed valve, in this morning's light without the noisy florescent overheads, I could hear air sucking past the threads. Pulled it out and there was some corrosion blocking one hole completely, and some corrosion in the barrel. Soaked it in solvent, took a scotchbrite pad to it and with some thread seal was able to quickly bleed the brake.

Annual anything wasn't done on this bike. I'm the third owner and the last one neglected it more than I had realized. I'm finding a lot of little items here and there.

Appreciate the knowledge of this board.

Edited by smutny

"All the push push push has torn the rubber as it chunks thru the crud ring."

Yup - Been there, done that! Next time I'll be a bit less enthusiastic in the push-push.

• 6 years later...