BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#909573 - 10/26/14 09:24 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
FarmallA Offline
Newer Member
FarmallA  Offline
Newer Member

Southern Berkshire County MA
I purchased the top case that eddd had advertised on the Classified forum a couple of weeks ago, and it arrived last Friday. It is the one edd refurbished and refers to in this thread. There's a few pictures before and after in the link a few posts back.

My impressions:
Firstly, eddd is a pleasure to do business with, this is only one of several items I've bought from him.

The finish on the top case looks great. The before picture condition would not have been good enough and I would now be preparing to do just what edd did. In fact, now I'm looking critically at my side cases.

Speaking of side cases, the finish on the top case is now more flat than the factory finish side cases. It doesn't bother me much, but it is noticeable. The fix, of course, is to do the sides. Some time in the future. Later. smile

As far as durability goes, it's too soon to tell. Being a top case, I don't expect much damage from riding. If I'm scraping that up in a tumble I'll be having bigger problems than a scratched top case. tongue If I do get any boo boos on it it's more likely to be from storing it in my garage.

So that's my story, for now. I'll comment later as it gets used a little bit.

Steve

#909584 - 10/26/14 11:16 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
eddd Offline
eddd  Offline

Hurricane, UT

Steve, you might want to experiment with Mother's Back to Black on the underside in an inconspicuous place. I used it on the Givi, and it brightened the finish. I didn't use it on the other cases.

12 Kawasaki EX650
13 Yamaha XT250
16 KTM RC 390
96 R1100RT - forced retirement at 175,000

#909595 - 10/27/14 12:24 AM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
FarmallA Offline
Newer Member
FarmallA  Offline
Newer Member

Southern Berkshire County MA
experiment with Mother's Back to Black

Eddd.
Might be worth a try.

#909608 - 10/27/14 02:15 AM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: FarmallA]  
mneblett Offline
mneblett  Offline

Fairfax, VA
Originally Posted By: FarmallA
Firstly, eddd is a pleasure to do business with

+several. I just opened a box with a couple Touring lids I purchased from Ed. The packaging job was impressive, and the lids are in better shape than they looked in the ad pics (a rare occurrence for anything sold over the 'net!).

I'm watching his part-out classifieds for more goodies laugh

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
#909642 - 10/27/14 02:54 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
dan cata Offline
dan cata  Offline

Romania
It does look good. But my passenger always leaves a mark on them every time she gets up on the bike smile

I can exactly tell you how many times that happen by just counting the rubber stripes on the R/H luggage smile

Dan.

#918654 - 01/24/15 02:39 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
VoipWizard Offline
VoipWizard  Offline

Holy Thread Wake-Up Batman!

Eddd: I am a believer now...

These are my son's beat up cases. Bike is an R1150R.

One of them suffered "massive trauma" ( I asked but I got evasive answers...)

Anyway.

It gets pretty scary when you apply the paint and the texture is not even close to the dry product. But after an hour it dries up.

I've followed Eddd's tip on sanding with a bigger grain sandpaper, then sprayed etching primer.
They are ready now for a second coat. These cases may go back in without finishing sanding.

Thank you for an amazing write-up!!!

2009 R1200RT
Past: 2003 K1200LT / 2004 R1200CLC / 1989 Kawi KZ440 LTD / 2001 Kawi Concours
#955347 - 03/13/16 06:59 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
fabim37 Offline
Just Joined
fabim37  Offline
Just Joined

VERY GOOD JOB

HAT'S OFF

#968111 - 08/14/16 03:14 AM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
Cdnrtowner Offline
Newer Member
Cdnrtowner  Offline
Newer Member

BC, Canada
Very impressive job Ed. I looked at the additional photos on your link and I am interested in the windshield in the bottom pictures. Have you done some scratch removal work on them? If so, what method would you recommend? Finally, I have some gouges on one of the black lower portions of my fairing on a 2016 RT. I believe that you would probably recommend taking both sides off repairing the gouges with epoxy and then painting both sides to match. Does this make sense to you? Again, great DIY! Cheers.

#968130 - 08/14/16 12:21 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: Cdnrtowner]  
eddd Offline
eddd  Offline

Hurricane, UT
Originally Posted By: Cdnrtowner
Very impressive job Ed. I looked at the additional photos on your link and I am interested in the windshield in the bottom pictures. Have you done some scratch removal work on them? If so, what method would you recommend? Finally, I have some gouges on one of the black lower portions of my fairing on a 2016 RT. I believe that you would probably recommend taking both sides off repairing the gouges with epoxy and then painting both sides to match. Does this make sense to you? Again, great DIY! Cheers.

The windshield pictures ended up there by mistake. I had a few shields that I was selling, and the pictures were to show potential buyers the condition.

I've used two products to try and remove/reduce scratches in plastic:

-Mequiar's Mirror Glaze 17 followed up with Mirror Glaze 10. Link

It takes some serious work, but the 17 followed by the 10 can really improve SCRATCHED plastic. It will not do anything for crazing that we see most often in older windshields.

These products are available from Amazon if you have trouble finding them locally.

As for your fairing, I don't have any experience with that material so I'll let others give you suggestions for filling scratches/gouges. I will say that exact paint matching isn't always necessary. Looking at your bike you will notice that there is quite a variation in tone depending on how directly light is hitting various surfaces. Some components will be partially in shadow.

The distance to a similar colored component also makes a big difference. A car door needs to closely match the body around it or it will really stand out. The color on a motorcycle's parts may not be as critical if they don't form a more or less continuous surface.

12 Kawasaki EX650
13 Yamaha XT250
16 KTM RC 390
96 R1100RT - forced retirement at 175,000

#968186 - 08/15/16 02:12 PM Re: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing [Re: eddd]  
Cdnrtowner Offline
Newer Member
Cdnrtowner  Offline
Newer Member

BC, Canada
Thanks for your advice, Ed. Cheers

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  EffBee