IGNORED

R1200RT 2010 Top Case Disassembly

Doublebassman

Doublebassman

Hi there, firstly I'm new to this community, having only been an RT owner for just over a week. I adore the bike already as it has been my dream bike for many years, and am so pleased to finally be the owner of one.

One of the things I'm wanting to sort out is the security of the 49 litre top case - I feel it could be more secure on the luggage rack, and on inspection it would appear that the locking tabs which open when closing the release handle do not fully extend.

Hence, I thought if I strip the lower part of the case out, I could clean and lubricate all of the linkages and make it as good as new again. Despite removing all of the screws the inner section still seems reluctant to come away from the outer section.

Does anyone have any tips for seperating these sections, if possible with photo's? I've seen info about the side cases but nothing for the top case.

Many thanks,

Chris

I believe that the case can be disassembled. However, I haven't seen step-by-step instructions. And the reports from those who have done it sound like an engine rebuild is easier.

If anyone comes across a How-To on this, it would be a valuable bit of information to share as a lot of people would be interested.

Doublebassman

I've been sent a fully detailed list of BMW Motorrad instructions in PDF format complete with photos from a very kind gentleman on the BMWMOA forum (Wyman M. Winn). I now feel fully equiped to undertake this task. If anyone else needs a copy of these instructions please let me know (file too large to post at 436kB and not sure how to compress a pdf). Many thanks for that Wyman.

Chris

I've been sent a fully detailed list of BMW Motorrad instructions in PDF format complete with photos from a very kind gentleman on the BMWMOA forum (Wyman M. Winn). I now feel fully equiped to undertake this task. If anyone else needs a copy of these instructions please let me know (file too large to post at 436kB and not sure how to compress a pdf). Many thanks for that Wyman.

Chris

Great... looking forward to hearing about the dis assembly and the re assembly. Will you be taking photos??

Good luck.

Doublebassman

Hi - probably won't take photo's but will gladly forward instructions on. Unless there's somewhere on the site for posting documents. Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi All (LBump in Particular)

Have just joined this group and am currently trying to remove cylinder (to re key)from the Top Case off my grand daughter's F 800 ST.

Would appreciate copy of PDF File as I presume it would be useful to me. Since our Top Case is later version, cannot use paper clip tool as No Hole in side of cylinder to Push In Rectangular shaped retainer to release cylinder. Am in process of making second tool (using hacksaw blade) but not sure where to insert it to release U shaped retainer. Hope Pdf Doc will help me. RJJ

rjj.landry@videotron.ca

• 1 month later...

Good News

Contrary to what I had been told, I have been able to Remove and Re-Key the cylinder in my 28L BMW Top Case without having its Original Key. I had been told that: “I had bought a very expensive Paper Weight” as without its key, the case could not be re-keyed. However with the help and a tool sent to me by a member of this forum. I extracted the lock cylinder in my case by inserting the home made tool in the key slot and by dragging/raking the locking wafer in a specific fashion was able to free / extract the cylinder. I then repositioned the internal wafers to fit my key. IE. When my key was fully inserted into the cylinder ALL wafers (except the locking wafer) were flush to the edges of the cylinder, Then once reinserted into the case and locked in place my Ignition key now Opens and Locks the case.

I will be returning the tool to tri750 who has told me he would be prepared to send his tool to anyone in my situation who has been mislead to think these top cases cannot be re-keyed.

N.B. Stay away from Case Dismantle Exercise !!!

RJJ

I also have a 49l topcase. My problem is that it is locked on the bike, 2010 R1200RT, and the lock does not work to open or release. I would love a copy of those instructions too. Dmacpherson@shaw.ca

Thanks so much.

DM

I would love to know how to re-key my 29L trunk. I have re-keyed several locks on the bags of my K100RT, so I understand the concept of the "wafers", but which one is the lock? On K bike it is the last one on the lock set. Or do you have au-tube??

I also have a 49l topcase. My problem is that it is locked on the bike, 2010 R1200RT, and the lock does not work to open or release. I would love a copy of those instructions too. Dmacpherson@shaw.ca

Thanks so much.

DM

rjj has already sent the tool back. But, he has made a duplicate. He is in Quebec. Once he does another bike, I'm sure he would be happy to loan you his. Mine will be in transit 2 weeks.

Your case is locked to the bike? How does that happen without a key? Are you sure you are operating the release correctly? Some require extra pressure on the key to release the handle. I'm sure we can figure this out.

I would love to know how to re-key my 29L trunk. I have re-keyed several locks on the bags of my K100RT, so I understand the concept of the "wafers", but which one is the lock? On K bike it is the last one on the lock set. Or do you have au-tube??

Yes, the last wafer, furthest from the key opening is the retaining wafer.

Removing of the cylinder uses the same tool discussed.

The video I have was made on a iPhone and is in 3 segments due to size limitations. Start to finish was 2.5 minutes. It's knowing how far to insert the tool and knowing that you are pulling the wafer down using side friction, not actual pushing of the wafer because the wafer only has 3 sides. At times, it will take 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the response.

The Release for the topcase has been non-functional for some time, but I could still use it, open and close/lock. This past week even the open stopped working. The entire lock now turns completely around. I suspect that the mechanic that did the last service tried to get it to release, and applied too much force.

I was hoping that the instructions that were referred to, that show how to disassemble the case will help to illustrate first how to get the case open and then off the bike. At least then I can work on it in the house, not in the cold garage.

Doug

I'm no help there.

I did the disassembly once, years ago with no PDF, youtube video, or sense.

That was enough.

Some of the earlier posts mention they have it, I would PM them and request it.

The thing is, if you have broken internals, there are no parts. You'll have to fabricate your own.

Progress, I think.

With some care, and lots of luck, I managed to get the lock cylinder out. Then examining the inside of the hole the cylinder came out of, I identified what I think was the release tab. A little pressure and the release handle popped open and I now have the case off the bike.

Now to task is to open the case.

I am reluctant to put the lock cylinder back in, so I will try to figure out how the internals work to release the Open latch.

DM

With the lock cylinder out, you'll see a wide black slot that the tip of the cylinder goes into.

You can use a large blade screwdriver to both push in the plastic center and twist the slotted piece to pop the handles, remove the case, etc.

If you like, send me or post here several pictures of the cylinder that came out with the key in it.

Tri750@hotmail.com

Tri750:

I will try to get some photos of the lock and the mechanism in the case, small space, but I will try.

When I look into the opening, I do not see a "slot". I think I am seeing the side of the inside case lining. I am starting to suspect that the deepest part of the mechanism in the case is broken. The whole mechanism will push in but nothing happens.

D

If the mechanism doesn't have the black plastic inset rectangle showing, then that's your problem.

The depth is no deeper than your lock cylinder.

If it's there, twist the rectangle until it lines up with the "open" text and push in sharply.

If the thing does just spin, instead of 1/4 turn and spring loaded 1/4 turn, your broken inside.

Saw the pics. A quadrant of the rectangular opening where the cylinder engages is broken out. I mean broken.

No idea how one could fix this even if it was easy to disassemble.

• 4 weeks later...

I have actually succeeded in opening the case and I have already removed the lid.

I discovered that the reason I could not get the case to open was not a problem but a feature. According to the dealer, the latch to open the case will not release with the case handle open. If you close the handle to its stowed position, then a push on the lock mechanism housing, even without the lock not installed, it will release the latch. Worked. Next phase is to diss-assemble.

I don't suppose you know of the source of a document I saw referred to in an older post that supposedly had the instructions for the dismantling of the top case, separating the inner and outer parts?

I will search again, put I was sure somebody said they had a .PDF file that demonstrated the diss-assembly.

D

Chris;

I have a different problem but I think that we are both in need of the same solution.

Did you manage to find anything on disassembly?

Doug

Doug -

Take a gander here starting at post #9, and PM me if you have some specific issues or need to have some extra photos.

Tom

Edited by 12R12RT

Thank you so much Tom;

This may be exactly what I am looking for.

I will follow your instruction and let you know.

I will also takes pics as I go, and if you don't mind, I will add to the instruction you provided, make a document, then PDF and supply to anyone else who needs it.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Tom:

I managed to get the case apart and repair my problem. Your instructions where invaluable, thanks again.

I turned your instructions into a PDF file, with some of my experience added.

I will attempt to attach here. Looks like I cannot attach PDF files.

I can supply to anyone that wants it, if I have an email address.

Doug

• 10 months later...

Hi, could you please send me the instructions for dissasembly the r1200rt topcase, it doesnt open, my e mail is julioegasparm@yahoo.com, i will be very glad if you can do me that favor. regards

I'm also looking for directions. I PM'd a few of the posters who said they would email the .pdf for the asking, but they do not seem to be active on the board, and this is an old thread.

I loaned my bike to a buddy to test and he dropped it in his driveway and the top case is binding. He did end up buying a new RT, so all is not lost. Maybe I should demand we swap bikes for compensation. . .

Have you tried simply taking the case off the rack? I dropped mine (without panniers) shortly after I bought it. The non-BMW top case took part of the hit, the lid opened and it came partly off the mount. Removed and re-attached the box and all was well except for a few scratches in the paint.

Couldn't hurt to try,Larry - thanks,

Thanks also to Doublebassman for sending the .PDF file :thumbsup::clap: ! I'll branch the tree - if anyone wants a copy, PM me your email.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 06 RT (Piedmont Red). I have not had any trouble the my 49 litre top case. Just has a different key from the ignition. Way back, the dealer offered to re-key the lock to the ignition key. I declined. But, after reading this thread, I might try this myself. I don't have a problem the operation of the top case. As I say this, I'm reminded of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My prior experience was a complete take apart of a saddlebag. It works better than the one I didn't take apart. However, I would like to take one key off the key ring. Thanks to everyone who has expended this top case discussion.

• 4 years later...

I know this is a really old thread but I have just found it. I had been trying to disassemble my top box for a very long time, giving up on several occasions as I just couldn't work out how it was done. I worked it out tonight. The thing that I had not been doing on every other attempt was to take the 2 nuts off of the bolts behind the handle/locking mech. I had been assuming that that should stay on and this was my downfall. I can imagine that others might not realise this so have not tried it. Once this is done and the handle comes off, it is very easy! 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a copy of this PDF? I need to get the lid apart to fix a problem with the retaining strap.

coffey133@googlemail.com

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone

if anyone got a copy of the BMW PDF file of how to disassemble the top case could you email it to me. I would greatly appreciate it. Greek6@msn.com

Harry ADAMS 

15 minutes ago, HPAdams said:

If anyone got a copy of the BMW PDF file of how to disassemble the top case could you email it to me.

Can you not click on the link of the pdf in the post two above yours??

John Ranalletta
16 minutes ago, HPAdams said:

Hi everyone

if anyone got a copy of the BMW PDF file of how to disassemble the top case could you email it to me. I would greatly appreciate it. Greek6@msn.com

Harry ADAMS 

I would rather poke my eye out with a pencil than disassemble and reassemble anoher 49l top case.  I'm still in therapy.  Go slow.  Take pictures.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, HPAdams said:

Considering I did not see it and was posting off the upper half posts.

It does pay to read at least the posts directly before yours, if not the whole thread  ; )

• Like 1