IGNORED

Advice on the Proper Installation of the Battery

Michael B

OK, so I'm being a little anal here, but I want to do this operation right. I did several forum searches on batteries and found lots of info on kinds of batteries, but not on the installation procedure. So, I'm ordering an Odyssey PC680-P and L-Brackets from Amazon for my 2011 R1200 RT. Do I:

Trickle charge (Battery Tender) the battery to full voltage before or after installation?

Do you have to fully open the throttle two or three times before the final connection of the positive wire?

Any traps involved in a battery change with the CanBus system?

Is there a CanBus penalty in taking too much time to make the change?

Anything I missed?

I'm ok on shimming the difference in size between the Odyssey and the OEM battery.

The only procedural info I have found is to disconnect the negative then the positive, and reconnect the positive then the negative. Found nothing else.

Appreciate any advice.

You are making it a lot more difficult than it is.

Your Odyssey battery should have arrived already charged at over 80%, meaning you can use it right away. If you want to have it at 100%, just charge before installation.

Just change it like you would do with any other battery, then do the TPS relearn: ignition on, wait for diagnostics to finish cycling, then, without turning the engine on, open and close the throttle slowly a few times. That's it.

"Any traps?". Well, my bike always throws a service reminder after removing and reinstalling the battery. I originally thought this was the internal calendar resetting but my dealer checked on it every time with his diagnostic system and found everything was fine, including the calendar. At this point I consider it just a quirk of the Machine Spirit. ;)

Morning Michael

You might check before ordering as a lot of those Odyssey (P) versions come with the "L" brackets in the box with the battery.

In any case, the battery installation is easy but not a drop in.

The battery will be slightly too small for the battery tray & retention strap.

You can re-bend the strap to hold the battery OR use the foam piece from the battery shipping box to shim the front of the battery in the battery tray then use a short piece of (stiff walled) rubber hose under the top of battery to hold down strap.

TPS relearn is in your riders manual (in the battery replacement section)

but here it is so you don't have to look--

TPS reset procedure-----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive post for 30 seconds.

Then

*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive terminal.

Then

*Switch on the ignition.

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle once or twice so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

About the only things I have seen happen from a long duration battery disconnect is the fueling computer will lose it's fueling offset leaning so it might run a little differently until it re-learns the fueling offset.

On some (very few) it can lose the date info on the service indicator so you might see an early service indicator warning pop up in the future.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread folks, but, it's time for a new battery and I wanna do my homework before diving in. I'm going with the PC680, however, the downloaded owners manual I have for the camhead R1200RT doesn't mention anything about the TPS reset when replacing a battery. Simply states to install and make the proper connection in the proper order. Is there a downside to NOT doing the TPS reset? It's no big deal as it's only a couple of turns of the throttle, but, what should I expect to experience if I didn't do the TPS reset?

I have a 2012 camhead. No mention on my year RT. I believe the 2012 or camhead RT'S don't require one. I have disconnected my battery several times over the years for different reasons. Hooked back up, fired up the engine and off I went.

Sorry to revive an old thread folks, but, it's time for a new battery and I wanna do my homework before diving in. I'm going with the PC680, however, the downloaded owners manual I have for the camhead R1200RT doesn't mention anything about the TPS reset when replacing a battery. Simply states to install and make the proper connection in the proper order. Is there a downside to NOT doing the TPS reset? It's no big deal as it's only a couple of turns of the throttle, but, what should I expect to experience if I didn't do the TPS reset?

Morning kltk165

On your camhead 1200RT the latest BMW RSD (service manual) states -- "there is no need to reset the throttle-valve potentiometer after assembly (self teaching system)".

I usually do it anyways as I am usually too lazy to look up each BMW year/model to see if needs it so just do them all out of general principle. Doing a TPS re-learn on a bike that doesn't need it doesn't hurt anything & only takes seconds/ not doing a BMW that needs it can cause engine runability issues.