IGNORED

Official UnRally XIV Announcement!!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

The latest "Who's Coming" list is here:

i-ZjPqpBq.jpg

If you are thinking of going, please register before 11:59PM next Thursday, May 21, and reserve your room no later than Friday, 5/22. The hotel will release the remainder of our block of rooms at the end of 5/22.

Joe Frickin' Friday
HEY! WHOALL'S ARRIVING SUNDAY!!???

Yours truly and Hopz. :D

That makes three of us. I'm not sure what time, but I'll be there on Sunday. Probably sometime between 5 and 7 PM.

Hello all... Bob Stovall, aka hopz is IN. Motel reservations made.

Assume arrival is Monday...

I'm Hopz' wing man and can confirm that we're arriving Sunday. Upon arrival we'll need some Maker's Mark and Cuban cigars readily available.

I'm leaving with a schedule and enough time to arrive on Saturday, if I push a little. Depends on how I feel once on the road. But even if I take my time, I should be there by Sunday.

Glenn Reed

Signed up and paid. Still awaiting word from a couple of riding buddies from Ohio to see if they will be coming as well. I know, I know, waiting until the last minute. Just ask Craig about my procrastination. :rofl:

Looking forward to meeting some folks from west of the Appalachians, as well as riding the land of Cows!

Glenn Reed
Signed up and paid doesn't always mean that you have to show up! :rofl:

I know, I've done that before! :rofl:

Edited by Glenn Reed
Back in. I just made a reservation again. Arriving Sunday, June 21.

OK then, no more changing your mind!!!! :grin::wave:

Signed up and paid doesn't always mean that you have to show up! :rofl:

I know, I've done that before! :rofl:

DAMHIK :dopeslap:

Just made my reservation.

Won't be arriving until Tuesday. Since it is during the week, I will have my daughter (11) with me. She likes water parks.

Picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 for the trip.

All outside liquor must be tasted and approved by the board owner and the UnRally organizers before it can be disseminated at the event. Just sayin'.

greiffster

All outside liquor must be tasted and approved by the board owner and the UnRally organizers before it can be disseminated at the event. Just sayin'.

Glenlivit 12 is one of my faves. Your approval process should go smoothly. Pun intended.

Just one? Oh....this will not end well. :lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday

You can freely drink in your rooms and on your rooms' balconies, but Because the hotel has a bar and restaurant on site, they have a rule prohibiting the consumption, in general public areas, of alcoholic beverages brought in from elsewhere. I don't know how strict they are about enforcing that rule, but I thought I should get that out in the open before everyone starts drooling in anticipation about parking lot taste tests.

That said, the bar has rather nice indoor and outdoor seating areas, where I expect they will be happy to serve you whatever beverage you can think up.

Just one? Oh....this will not end well. :lurk:

The early bird gets the drink.............................

Last year the hotel was good enough to give several of us unlimited drink tickets :thumbsup:

We had that rigged. I'd go up the the front counter at the hotel and they'd give me a couple of free drink tickets for my roomie and me. I'd make note of who gave me the tickets, and tell Al (my roomie) who would then go up and ask someone else for tickets for his roomie and himself. So far, four free drink tickets.

At 6PM, the shift would change at the front desk, and we repeated the process with the new crew. Total, eight free drink tickets. And I don't drink (barely). So I gave mine away (mostly to AL) who tried REAL hard to make sure none went to waste.

Still, we ate various $12 burger lunches and the $18 chicken or shrimp salad dinner almost every day at their restaurant, so they made out OK. And I gave their restaurant a good review on Trip Advisor (the food was good).

Hey I picked up a McCallan 18 ...and a Glenlivit 12, but the guy made me put it back before I got out the door...

Unfortunately, I will be a no-show. My wife fractured her kneecap five+ weeks ago, and she's still in the early stages of recovery. She is very much dependent on me, so I'm not in a position to leave her unattended. I will be cancelling my room, of course.

I was really looking forward to this year's Un too. Maybe in 2016....

Hey I picked up a McCallan 18 ...and a Glenlivit 12, but the guy made me put it back before I got out the door...

It is the thought that counts. :thumbsup:

Is there a posting of those that are attending this year's UnRally?

As of 5/16 (stolen list from the previous page of this thread). There have been additional new registrants, and there's usually a handful more during the last weeks.

i-ZjPqpBq.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday
As of 5/16 (stolen list from the previous page of this thread). There have been additional new registrants, and there's usually a handful more during the last weeks.

New list being generated. Please stand by... :lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday

OK, the attendance list as of 5/26/15 includes a grand total of 65 attendees:

i-q5BP3Dc.png

Looking forward to seeing you all. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

That is an impressive list for a Midwurstern location. :clap:

Looking forward to putting faces and names together for the first time for many on the list.

I'm still thinking I'm gonna introduce myself as Marty. :rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday
That is an impressive list for a Midwurstern location. :clap:

Looking forward to putting faces and names together for the first time for many on the list.

I'm still thinking I'm gonna introduce myself as Marty. :rofl:

If you see this, you'll know you have arrived:

i-S5tKRRp-L.jpg

You can park in front of the lobby (center):

i-HrWP4jn-L.jpg

or head for the parking ramp way off to the right. The giant structure to the right contains the water park; if you're not too tired after your ride, you might enjoy splashing around there.

In addition to the main restaurant/bar inside, they have outdoor seating, up and down:

i-QwnsHJF-L.jpg

That pic was from the off-season last September; there should be more chairs and tables in a couple of weeks so you can enjoy your ceegars and Spotted Cow in the great outdoors.

Look for these lovely ladies on one of your rides (there's a waypoint in your GPS):

i-TCs29qx-L.jpg

Also look for views like this:

i-NCNM559-L.jpg

and roads like this:

i-kjvqmMd-L.jpg

i-hQ339Hz-L.jpg

i-7C68mBq-L.jpg

Gonna be a good time. :Cool:

Mitch's photos really capture the essence of the area. Great riding abounds. If you decide to go on a "ride-about," not following any particular route, I'd urge you to generally head west and south from TBL, where you'll find the most interesting landscape and the best roads.

One of my favorite SW Wisconsin things to do is to just get on my ST and head out without any particular agenda, taking whatever road looks interesting.

...If you decide to go on a "ride-about," not following any particular route, I'd urge you to generally head west and south from TBL, where you'll find the most interesting landscape and the best roads...

This is very good advice.

I also want to point out that areas to the east of TBL are not as scenic. That area is low with lots of marsh areas.

The route in my brain mentioned earlier will be west and south. You are welcome to ride along or get with me at the lodge and I'll share the routing information with you. As Mike indicated there is not one special route in this area. You'd be hard pressed to find a bad one, but Hwy 35, the Great River Road, between La Crosse and Prairie du Chien is one road that really stands out and should be included if you can fit it in.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bad one, but Hwy 35, the Great River Road, between La Crosse and Prairie du Chien is one road that really stands out and should be included if you can fit it in.

Sweet. That's my final approach route. :thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch's photos really capture the essence of the area. Great riding abounds. If you decide to go on a "ride-about," not following any particular route, I'd urge you to generally head west and south from TBL, where you'll find the most interesting landscape and the best roads.

More advice for free-roaming riders:

- US highways (e.g. US14, US61) tend to be the straightest, busiest, and most heavily patrolled roads.

- State highways (e.g. WI71, WI27) are a little less straight and feature less traffic/enforcement.

- County highways are named with one or two letters (e.g. county C, county DD), tend to have very little traffic/enforcement, and are the least grandma-friendly, i.e. plenty of curves and hills and blind rises. You may occasionally find an unpaved road, but these are pretty rare in Wisconsin. Unpaved stretches generally don't last more than a mile or so, but if you're free-roaming, you can always find a way around if you prefer sticking to paved roads.

-Roads with more colloquial names (e.g. Spring Coulee Road, Rognstad Ridge Road) are generally at least as fun as lettered county roads.

-As mentioned in the routes announcement, state, county, and even city parks all tend to have public restrooms (though not all have running water). Here and there you may also spot roadside picnic areas that have restroom facilities.

More advice for free-roaming riders:

- US highways (e.g. US14, US61) tend to be the straightest, busiest, and most heavily patrolled roads.

- State highways (e.g. WI71, WI27) are a little less straight and feature less traffic/enforcement.

- County highways are named with one or two letters (e.g. county C, county DD), tend to have very little traffic/enforcement, and are the least grandma-friendly, i.e. plenty of curves and hills and blind rises. You may occasionally find an unpaved road, but these are pretty rare in Wisconsin. Unpaved stretches generally don't last more than a mile or so, but if you're free-roaming, you can always find a way around if you prefer sticking to paved roads.

-Roads with more colloquial names (e.g. Spring Coulee Road, Rognstad Ridge Road) are generally at least as fun as lettered county roads.

-As mentioned in the routes announcement, state, county, and even city parks all tend to have public restrooms (though not all have running water). Here and there you may also spot roadside picnic areas that have restroom facilities.

Excellent advice.

As a cheese head by birth, when you see a sign saying "Wayside" it's the same as a rest area in IL.

Wisconsin had a Rustic Road program and you can find info HERE

...If you decide to go on a "ride-about," not following any particular route, I'd urge you to generally head west and south from TBL, where you'll find the most interesting landscape and the best roads...

This is very good advice.

I also want to point out that areas to the east of TBL are not as scenic. That area is low with lots of marsh areas.

The route in my brain mentioned earlier will be west and south. You are welcome to ride along or get with me at the lodge and I'll share the routing information with you. As Mike indicated there is not one special route in this area. You'd be hard pressed to find a bad one, but Hwy 35, the Great River Road, between La Crosse and Prairie du Chien is one road that really stands out and should be included if you can fit it in.

The last time I was there, the road going North from Prairie du Chien was rough as a cob and the WI DOT put up a sign "Rough Road next 17 miles. Hopefully they have found funds to fix it.

Edited by Bud
Joe Frickin' Friday

More fun awaits:

IMG1646-L.jpg

IMG1670-L.jpg

Into the woods:

IMG1683-L.jpg

Slalom across the valley:

IMG1690-L.jpg

Coming down off a ridge:

IMG1718-L.jpg

You can take a break on those backroads and not see or hear any traffic for ten minutes:

IMG_3081-L.jpg

zig, then zag:

980530419_vmaQY-L.jpg