BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#996518 - 09/10/17 11:43 AM Re: How the heck do you remove the rear wheel on an RTW? [Re: Paul De]
LAF Online

When you had it open you should have sprayed some Sea Foam fogger in it. The guys in the UK are having issues with these seizing. Next time I pull the rear tire I will spray it down with Sea Foam fogger.

No way of defeating it and it is a very costly fix.

Every time I have the GS-911 out I make it activate it so I can hear it well.
Dark Side 205 50 ZR17

#996526 - 09/10/17 02:07 PM Re: How the heck do you remove the rear wheel on an RTW? [Re: LAF]
Paul De Offline

Loc: Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: LAF
When you had it open you should have sprayed some Sea Foam fogger in it. The guys in the UK are having issues with these seizing. Next time I pull the rear tire I will spray it down with Sea Foam fogger.

No way of defeating it and it is a very costly fix.

Every time I have the GS-911 out I make it activate it so I can hear it well.

I wondered about that but worried that anything 100% petroleum based will just burn to a charred incrustation actually making the problem worse. Maybe one of the high temp Never-Seez products would be better as it at least leaves a metal paste film. Wonder if the regional nature of the fuel in the UK is part of the issue as I haven't read so much about it here. Mine was free moving so I decided not to "fix" it.

I guess I would not want to defeat it as I think it helps quiet the bike at steady cruise. And as I said before you hear the butterfly close about 20-30 seconds after power down. I'll just be sure to listen for a change in the sound indicating it is getting hung up.

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326

#997202 - 09/18/17 02:32 PM Re: How the heck do you remove the rear wheel on an RTW? [Re: bwr]
old_farmer Offline

Loc: Northwest IL
What size is the torx bit used? Looks like a T-50 to me. Leave it to BMW to complicate this more than it need be.

#997291 - 09/19/17 02:51 PM Re: How the heck do you remove the rear wheel on an RTW? [Re: old_farmer]
LittleBriar Offline
Newer Member

Yep, it's a T50

#997321 - 09/19/17 07:10 PM Re: How the heck do you remove the rear wheel on an RTW? [Re: LittleBriar]
TheOtherLee Offline

Loc: Wilsonville, Oregon, USA

Found on the internet *link* in a search for "torx vs hex"
Quote:
I use a pick to clean the head out first...
sounds like a good addition to advice above - wheel bolts in a dirty environment.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2