IGNORED

Wheel Cleaner That Works

Guest Kakugo

I am finding harder and harder to keep the RT wheels as clean as I like them. I don't know if it's due to the recent switch to nickel-free brake pads, the bike age and mileage or whatever, but getting rid of the dirt caked on those wheels is really getting hard, so much last time I resorted to the pressure washer to get at least a semblance of clean.

I've tried a number of detergents but it seems things are getting worse with each new one, no matter how much I scrub with my trusty dish sponge.

So... is there a product out there that can at least cut my washing time down? I am not asking for a "spray and hose down" product, just something that will work as wheel cleaner used to.

Thanks.

Thanks everybody.

I've tried dish soap before and wasn't very impressed, even after a good brushing.

I use kerosene to degrease the Honda rear wheel and swingarm: works like a treat but it's not up to the job on the RT wheels, probably due to a combination of completely different finish and different brake pads.

I've used S100 products in the past and was far from impressed with them: the only one I still use is their waterproofing spray, and that's just because the shop had no other brands available. :P

All-purpose industrial strength detergent looks like a good idea: at worst I can use it around the house. :thumbsup:

Simple Green works fairly well.

We haven't got Simple Green here, but judging from the specs it's very similar to some easily available industrial all-purpose cleaners.

I'll give them a try.

Simple Green works fairly well.

We haven't got Simple Green here, but judging from the specs it's very similar to some easily available industrial all-purpose cleaners.

I'll give them a try.

Make sure you dilute it. The undiluted stuff can mess up your wheels unless you remove it immediately.

My RT wheels seem to come up well using Wonder Wheels U, spray on, brush in, rinse off. The earlier version was quicker, but probably more damaging, if left on too long. The newer Wonder Wheels U, which is claimed safe for unlacquered wheels seems to work fine, and is available over here (UK) in most supermarkets.

Thanks everybody.

I bought of a jug of industrial strength cleaner. As soon as the RT gets dirty again (too soon!) it will be tested.

Even if it doesn't work, i'll have something to wash the garage floor and my power equipment with!

Guest Kakugo
Not sure what "industrial strength cleaner" you have, but I would be careful it doesn't stain/etch some of your finishes.

Don't worry.

1)I asked for something that could be used on painted surfaces.

2)I am going to try it on a very small, incospicuous surface before using it on the wheels. Even if it fails the test, I have plenty of places around the shop to use it.

3)This is going to used on wheels and engine bottom alone 8after being tested obviously): the rest of the bike is still getting a very delicate Meguiar's shampoo.

Went to the mothers web site to read about the foam cleaner...had a disclaimer that says

Do not use on motorcycle wheels, casings or components

Suspect not harmful but afraid we might bust our arse and blame them.

Clean rags and WD-40.

Once you use an aggressive cleaner that takes the smooth surface off the paint the wheels will get dirty faster and be damn near impossible to clean.

Clean rags and WD-40.

Once you use an aggressive cleaner that takes the smooth surface off the paint the wheels will get dirty faster and be damn near impossible to clean.

That is what I am afraid of, and that is why my can of foaming cleaner is still sitting on the shelf! Fortunately for me, the '15 RT's wheels have been very easy to clean with just the regular shampoo/water when I wash the bike.

Edited by PadG

I use Griot's Garage Wheel cleaner but have also had good luck with S100 Wheel Cleaner that is more of a gel.

ba4c7c9940463872011e7cc63ea3ecc4.jpg

S100%20Wheel%20Cleaner.jpg

Edited by RTinNC

Thanks again for all the replies.

I haven't washed the bike yet because the weather here has been pretty foul and I'd like the bike to stay clean for at least a couple of days. ;)

We shall know pretty soon if that industrial cleaner does what's written on the tin because my bike is almost as filthy as my car... :rofl:

I usually use Simple Green. A few times a year, when my wheels are really dirty, I use Windex. This is a bit controversial, as some say the ammonia in Windex is hard on aluminum surfaces. (I believe that some automotive wheel cleaners contain ammonia) It really cuts through the brake dust, and I've never seen any adverse effects on the wheel's finish. I just rinse off quickly, and am especially careful not to get it on painted surfaces.

I usually use Simple Green. A few times a year, when my wheels are really dirty, I use Windex. This is a bit controversial, as some say the ammonia in Windex is hard on aluminum surfaces. (I believe that some automotive wheel cleaners contain ammonia) It really cuts through the brake dust, and I've never seen any adverse effects on the wheel's finish. I just rinse off quickly, and am especially careful not to get it on painted surfaces.

If aluminum is unpainted, yes, it may etch and oxydize it. But on a painted surface it won't cause any damages

• 2 weeks later...

I completely forgot to report back about my findings. :dopeslap:

The industrial cleaner turned out to be just what I was looking for. I used it at 10% dilution and it cleaned wheels, exhaust and engine just the way I wanted without ruining everything. It's relatively cheap and available locally hence a winner. :thumbsup:

Only problem... the wheels are now so clean all those small scratches and tear and wear signs really show up. :grin:

• 2 years later...

Slight deviation from an older thread. I am looking for a brush to clean the spoked wheels of my GS, as well as the wheels of my other vehicles. The brushes at the auto parts stores are nylon -- which I am afraid will be a bit scratchy. The online brushes are nylon or say they are soft, but don't describe the bristle material. Throwing this out to the collective wisdom of the board for brush suggestions. Thanks in advance.