IGNORED

Things you might not know about your Wethead

realshelby

Coming from an '04 RT there was a LOT I didn't know about the new RT. I thought it might be a good subject for a thread!

Cruise Control Off: Did you know you can roll the throttle forward, like past idle, to disengage the cruise control? Beats flipping the clutch lever or tapping brakes.

Self Cancelling Turn Signal: Did you know that when making lane changes on Interstates the signals cancel themselves? Must have something to do with holding a steady speed, they won't do it riding around in stop and go riding. Takes a little longer than what I might do manually, but it worked every time I tried it on a 1500 mile ride last week.

These two came to mind, I know there are others that I cannot think of or don't know. What can you add?

From the manual:

The turn indicators automatically

switch off after the defined

time and distance.

min 10 s

min 984.3 ft (min 300 m)

The cruise shut-off is there too, though the language is not clear.

I think anyone would benefit from spending a half hour next to their bike, going through the manual and going through the procedures as they read. I've done it more than once and I still find details I've missed or forgotten.

Edited by lkraus

Terry

Your suggestions are a great idea. We know we should read the manual, but lets face it, they are Sooo boring. Even the one for the 1150 was tedious. it seemed like every page was lecturing you about the iABS!

So you users, share the morsels!

I've done it more than once and I still find details I've missed or forgotten.

Which is the exact point of the post!

Did you know the lip on the rear fender is extendable? I keep mine near all the way out to lessen road grime/spray.

Did you know your instrument cluster is adjustable? I think there is 3 positions. Push on the top or bottom and it will click to the next position. Moves the entire unit up/down.

• Like 1

Did you know that if you have you display on instantaneous MPG and come to a stop the display switches over to gallons per hour (gph).

This applies to the GS wethead and probably to the RT also: the EXT TEMP reading changes in increments of 0.9 deg. F - not half degrees or whole degrees or even tenths of degrees. Why 0.9? Because the temp sensor is reporting half degrees C which equals 0.9 deg. F.

It annoyed me a little that the temp display would show 70.7-71.6-72.5-73.4 for example. After a little struggle my dealer figured out how to reprogram that display to show half degree increments, so now it's 71.0-72.0-73.0-73.0.. Perhaps I should have left it alone.

Guest Kakugo
This applies to the GS wethead and probably to the RT also: the EXT TEMP reading changes in increments of 0.9 deg. F - not half degrees or whole degrees or even tenths of degrees. Why 0.9? Because the temp sensor is reporting half degrees C which equals 0.9 deg. F.

It annoyed me a little that the temp display would show 70.7-71.6-72.5-73.4 for example. After a little struggle my dealer figured out how to reprogram that display to show half degree increments, so now it's 71.0-72.0-73.0-73.0.. Perhaps I should have left it alone.

Or perhaps you should have switched to Celsius degrees... I think the dealer computer can do that. ;)

I have a 2015 and there is no d-tent on the instrument cluster. It will not stay where I want it. Gt

Push on the top and then on the bottom of the instrument cluster. If it rocks back and forth easily, it is adjustable. Just takes a bit of a shove in the direction you want it to stay to lock in the detent. I would be surprised if the 2015 was changed.

Morning Sailorlite

The temperature SENSOR itself has no way of reporting whole or partial degrees (it just imports resistance change). The partial degree thing is done internal to the computer.

If you plug in a USB thumb drive loaded up with tunes you can randomize their order by pressing and holding the Mode button down.

The downside is that randomizing seems to ignore directories. Constant bouncing between Rock and Smooth Jazz wasn't working for me. I guess separate thumb drives may be in order...I have plenty of those laying about. Randomizing within a directory would be better.

Ken

If you use a I pod you can go to category then Radom from there. The random will work inside of any mode. For example artist, all songs, type of music.

If you use a I pod you can go to category then Radom from there. The random will work inside of any mode. For example artist, all songs, type of music.

Thanks for this post rodantking...I stand corrected. I tried one more time on the way home from work today and it worked perfectly. I think the mistake I made before was not going into the directory and selecting a tune before turning on randomize.

Ken

It's a babe magnet. Well, my daughter thinks it's cool.

Then BMW must have really made improvements to it.

When a (female) friend of mine saw my freshly bought Hexhead in 2009 she said "You bought a BMW: it means you are old!". :rofl:

If you plug in a USB thumb drive loaded up with tunes you can randomize their order by pressing and holding the Mode button down.

The downside is that randomizing seems to ignore directories. Constant bouncing between Rock and Smooth Jazz wasn't working for me. I guess separate thumb drives may be in order...I have plenty of those laying about. Randomizing within a directory would be better.

Ken

Ahhhhh......the real solution to your problem is to properly "tag" your MP3 files. The wethead's audio system does not take any notices of file directories, as you have found out, but if your MP3s had the ID3 section properly tagged (album name, artist name, track title, track number, genre, etc.) then the radio's player will sort them out for you. You will then be able to select play from any of those variables, and once the selection have been made you can use the randomized play and the selection will be retained within that group.

You will need a 3rd party software to do the tagging, and there are several freeware around (at least for Windows OS). The one that I use is called MP3TAG: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html. I think that there might be a Mac version as well.

Go to "user" setting in menu. Select "background". Push wonderwheel to the right to get into background and you will see "empty" "speedo" "logo". Select speedo. As far as I know, the sound system being on overrides the speed display. So the radio has to be turned off.

Ken

I'm so ADD, I love the switching between rock, bluegrass, funk, country, alternate, etc. Woah, there goes a rabbit.... :grin:

• Haha 1
You sure about that on a 2015? The adjustable instrument cluster, that is....

While I don't own a 2015, the 2014 absolutely has an adjustable instrument cluster. It appears that gordiet thought his 2015 did not have this feature, but was just not pushing hard enough. It does take a bit of force. It is handy for lessening reflections off windscreen at night, I don't see too much difference in daylight.

You sure about that on a 2015? The adjustable instrument cluster, that is....

I have a 2015 and yes it's there. Have mine adjusted to full up position. You do have to put some force on the top or bottom of screen depending on how you want to adjust

Ken

Ken, try setting the audio to play a certain genre, then play the tunes in order, which will be alphabetical by tune title, which is effectively random.

I've got a 15--yes..PUSH

At first I thought the manual said Nav and I was pushing on that...because that's what I want to adjust during the day

Did you know that the menu diamond symbol sets the function you can automatically go back to. I think you set the function then hold the diamond button down. Lately I'm using it to go back to the suspension setting so that I can lower the rear when I stop to assist my passenger get off and on and help with sidestand angle.

Question: I always blip clutch lever to shut cruise off but you must manual raise the speed with the grip slightly or the engine speed will drop off slightly....but I haven't tried the throttle OFF trick because I thought the RPM and speed would drop off...does it stay pretty much where it was? Understand?

Paul Szilard - Australia
Did you know, you can set the home screen to a large digital speedo (audio system must be off to view)? Nice.

How? Please do tell.

Paul Szilard - Australia

Is there a parking light option on these bikes?

On my 2007, I could activate a park light so the bike would be visible at night on unlit roads.

kind of, but not exactly. If you turn on your key and don't touch any of the brakes, the little circles up front will come on. As soon as you touch the brakes, the headlight comes on.

Downside is every thing that comes on with the key will be on too.

Did you know, you can set the home screen to a large digital speedo (audio system must be off to view)? Nice.

How? Please do tell.

Go to "user" setting in menu. Select "background". Push wonderwheel to the right to get into background and you will see "empty" "speedo" "logo". Select speedo. As far as I know, the sound system being on overrides the speed display. So the radio has to be turned off, but you may still not have a speedo display if one of the other options have been selected.

Paul Szilard - Australia

Got it! I had to long press the Audio buttonto turn OFF the audio. I was using a short press, which just mutes the speakers, Great!

Got it! I had to long press the Audio buttonto turn OFF the audio. I was using a short press, which just mutes the speakers, Great!

Which brings us to another "did you know feature". Yes, a quick tap on the top button on the fairing panel does mute the speakers. Nice when stopped in traffic.

Another discovery...

You can remove the oil filter with the crankcase at normal levels if you need to. There will be some spillage but nothing too bad. Easily managed with a shop rag under it.

Mike the Ghoul

It stays pretty steady with a slight drop off. A trick I use is to slightly twist the throttle as if I am speeding up just before I turn it to off. This really smooths out the off cruise control condition.

mike

To turn the parking lights on you turn the ignition off then immediately press and hold the blinker switch to the left until the parking lights come on. To turn the parking lights off, turn the ignition on then off.