IGNORED

Fast idle lever stuck

AndyS

Hi All.

R1150RT

Fast Idle lever wont move.

I have checked the cable and it moves freely on the underside of the lever so it is not external cable or splitter box related. It seems that the lever is seized in the housing.

Any thoughts?

Is access available to get inside to free it?

Yes, If you are forced to remove the entire housing for repairs you will have to remove the grip. 1) Remove the Bar-end. 2) Peel back the grip near the switch/cable housing and you'll see 2 screws under it, 1 top & 1 underneath. PEEL BACK JUST ENOUGH GRIP TO ACCESS THE SCREWS. Once removed the grip assy will slide off.

You will have to create PLENTY of slack in the heater cable if you want to remove the grip completely. Hopefully you'll be able to access the fast idle cam housing and be able to free the mechanism without complete removal. Good luck..

Afternoon Andy

It sounds like one of the lever to inner housing screws worked loose & backed out (that usually locks them up tight)

With a lot of ingenuity you can get to the screws & hopefully tighten them.

FstIdle%20Lever_zpsqjgc2opw.jpg

Edited by dirtrider
Afternoon Andy

It sounds like one of the lever to inner housing screws worked loose & backed out (that usually locks them up tight)

Afternoon DR, Your file of photos is amazing. Did you just break someone's bike to get that shot or did you have that on file? ;)

• 1 year later...
Afternoon Andy

Two years later - Perfect solution to my stuck Fast Idle. Took all of 15 minutes to fix. 5 of those were spent changing a bulb in a shop light.

BMW shop manager told me he'd need to tear down the bike and chase all the cables (not my local guys, guy on my last multi-state trip).