IGNORED

Things you might not know about your Wethead

realshelby

Sooo-

What is the maximum number that speedometer will read if you keep the throttle pinned?

Dave

Whatever the spedo will read will be quite a bit higher than actual speed. Better off to look at the "max speed" field in the GPS.

A few weeks ago I was toggling through the GPS screens with my wife on the back of the bike and she spotted that number. She wasn't pleased with me :grin:

• Like 1
Dave_zoom_zoom
Sooo-

What is the maximum number that speedometer will read if you keep the throttle pinned?

Dave

Whatever the spedo will read will be quite a bit higher than actual speed. Better off to look at the "max speed" field in the GPS.

A few weeks ago I was toggling through the GPS screens with my wife on the back of the bike and she spotted that number. She wasn't pleased with me :grin:

Hi Brian

I'm sure that number that was recorded was either when someone else was "borrowing" your bike or perhaps when the GPS was in/on another vehicle. :Cool:

Could you share that number with me? Maybe in a PM?

Thanks

Dave

Dave_zoom_zoom
Sooo-

Dave

YMMV!

:wave:

It would seem you have had the throttle pinned on much more than just a Wethead! :clap:

Dave

MB>

Sooo-

Dave

Hi Brian

I'm sure that number that was recorded was either when someone else was "borrowing" your bike or perhaps when the GPS was in/on another vehicle. :Cool:

Thanks

Dave

So you were serious with the original question!!! :)

I haven't tried for the full throttle speed, but people have reported numbers above 140 mph and state that the bike was still pulling! I have seen about 122 on my GPS page that you guys were talking about.

I must say that the wethead is going to get me in trouble one of these days, because it will get into the triple digit range without me knowing or intending it!

You might find this video interesting:

Dave_zoom_zoom

Hey, Thanks a million PadG!

I really enjoyed the U Tube. I think that road was a bit too busy for those speed runs. But, all went well.

It looked like he did 231km/Hr. @ almost 8000 RPM. Not to bad! :) As near as I can calculate (using radar) my RT speedo. is approx. 6% optimistic.

After watching the U Tube you referenced, U Tube referred me to "BMW R1200RT Nurburgring 18.5 Aug.2,14". I loved that one. There's no carbon living in that guys engine.

My apologies if this was a hijack. But, these are "Things you might not know about your Wethead"! :grin:

Dave

Sooo-

Dave

Hi Brian

Thanks

Dave

So you were serious with the original question!!! :)

I haven't tried for the full throttle speed, but people have reported numbers above 140 mph and state that the bike was still pulling! I have seen about 122 on my GPS page that you guys were talking about.

I must say that the wethead is going to get me in trouble one of these days, because it will get into the triple digit range without me knowing or intending it!

You might find this video interesting:

140!! I doubt that.

My GPS max speed reads 129.3 MPH. I made several attempts on a long flat straight deserted highway in Montana on a windless day. That's the fastest I could get it to go.

Note that I was at about 5,500 feet elevation. Might go faster at sea-level? Also, if I recall, I did have the windshield raised about 40% rather than in the lowest position.

Paul Szilard - Australia
To turn the parking lights on you turn the ignition off then immediately press and hold the blinker switch to the left until the parking lights come on. To turn the parking lights off, turn the ignition on then off.

You are a LEGEND! Just tried it and it works on mine too. Thanks so much for this. Where is this documented, or how did you know about this?

Thanks again!

Paul Szilard - Australia

As my top case from the '07 was sold with the old bike, I went and got the new central locking one.

To my amazement, the mechanism to secure it to the rack is inside underneath the luggage area, under a piece of carpet! This means that you can't practically, take the top box off and carry it into your motel! (even after disconnecting the electrics).

This seems like a really dumb decision to me.

I would have preferred the "old" style of dismounting, and I would have made the electrical connection such that it could pull out (without locking).

My only other complaint about the new bike is that I find the direction indicator switch awkward to reach, especially when inside a round about, when I need to swap from one side to the other whilst in the turn.

BWR...I can assure you the 14RT will hit a speedometer reading of 140mph and still be climbing....of course we all know there is some margin of error, but from an indicated view....don't ask me how I know...but I know.

I've enjoyed this thread - got the central speedo display working 'cause of the help here (the manual is useless), then thought it was time to figure out "hill starts".

I read the Manual. F**'g useless. Then watched a short video by the guys at Gulf Coast MCs and "click"! The trick being to pull the hand brake lever on hard enough to get a "pop" feedback in the lever, and watch for the (H) icon in the left display. Cool!

BMW should be doing this stuff.

To turn the parking lights on you turn the ignition off then immediately press and hold the blinker switch to the left until the parking lights come on. To turn the parking lights off, turn the ignition on then off.

You are a LEGEND! Just tried it and it works on mine too. Thanks so much for this. Where is this documented, or how did you know about this?

Thanks again!

I found it in the Owners Manual (p62).

But each time I have a question about my bike I go to the 'Table of Contents' in the front of the book or the index in the back looking for any keyword I can think of and ...... often nothing.

So then begins the thumbing through the whole booklet - a real pain!

And then there are the questions the manual doesn't seem to cover at all- such as WTF is the gear shift indicator.

Ian

And then there are the questions the manual doesn't seem to cover at all- such as WTF is the gear shift indicator.

The "gear shift indicator" is more or less an economy gimmick. It tells you the optimum rpm to upshift for economical riding. I turned mine off as the flickering of it coming on and going off distracted me.

I had the gear shift indicator on when I brought the bike in for the 600 mile service. After the test ride the tech asked about it. I got the 2nd 14RT from the dealership, my bike may of been first in for service. I find the future useless.

Jay

I had the gear shift indicator on when I brought the bike in for the 600 mile service. After the test ride the tech asked about it. I got the 2nd 14RT from the dealership, my bike may of been first in for service. I find the future useless.

Morning Jay

I'm not sure of the intent of the shift indicator on the BMW motorcycle-- it might just be a gimmick or might allow BMW to advertise a slightly higher MPG.

On automobiles & light trucks with manual transmissions the manufacturer can increase the (window sticker) MPG rating slightly if the vehicle has a shift indicator as OEM equipment.

The "gear shift indicator" is more or less an economy gimmick. It tells you the optimum rpm to upshift for economical riding. I turned mine off as the flickering of it coming on and going off distracted me.

I am too lazy to turn it off!! :) I don't even notice it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you know the brake light stays on when you use Hill Assist? I use it a lot here on flat ground while waiting at intersections where I might normally not have my hand/foot on the brake. Good to keep the brake light on when stopped at intersections/lights......

• Like 1
Did you know the brake light stays on when you use Hill Assist? I use it a lot here on flat ground while waiting at intersections where I might normally not have my hand/foot on the brake. Good to keep the brake light on when stopped at intersections/lights......
Thats interesting because my 2015 hill assist indicator wont even come on or hold the brake unless I'm actually on a hill.

interesting...mine his assist on 2014 works any time I engage it. Trust me...no hills in Houston. If I had only had this feature when I lived in San Francisco and thought the smell of a burning clutch was part of the morning air.

Try this...squeeze your front brake as far as you can, then let go. If it doesn't work I would ask the dealer why not. Squeeze hard, squeeze all the way, squeeze kind of quickly.

Edited by Skywagon

I have done that. It works perfectly when on an incline but not when on flat ground. I'll run it by the dealer next time i'm there though. Not really worried about it as I only use it when on a hill. Thanks

Did you know that the central locking remote can become unsynchronized? Usually happens when it first works to lock the bike while you're at your doctor's appointment and then fails (becomes unsyncronized) when you get back. Can't get to the manual because it's locked in the topcase. The key won't open anything. If I could have opened the topcase I would have been reminded that there's an unlock button on the right side...never had used it...I had a remote. :dopeslap:

Did you know that the central locking remote can become unsynchronized? Usually happens when it first works to lock the bike while you're at your doctor's appointment and then fails (becomes unsyncronized) when you get back. Can't get to the manual because it's locked in the topcase. The key won't open anything. If I could have opened the topcase I would have been reminded that there's an unlock button on the right side...never had used it...I had a remote. :dopeslap:

I keep a pdf copy on my phone http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html&notrack=1

Hope it helps

Jay

Hey Terry...tested the brake light on with hill assist. That doesn't happen on mine. Wish it did.

David, you had me worried. I was afraid I was going to have to check myself back into the Liars Rehabilitation Center. So, last night after reading your post I ran out to the garage to see what was what. I started the bike then activated hill control. Brake lights stay on! Went back in to the house. Wondered if maybe being in gear would matter? Went back out and tested it in gear. Same results. So, I don't know what to say about those that don't work. My bike is a Non-shift assist/locking/alarm bike. Don't know if it matters?

Pic with engine running and no Hill control:

DSC01869_zpsvr3sjtzq.jpg

Pic with Hill control engaged:

DSC01870_zpsi5fu1l9x.jpg

Edited by realshelby

believed you...just reporting my doesn't....Crap..might have to get a new bike. Hey if you around this weekend I would like to see your new shield. If not I am going bail out from about Dec 11 through Jan 04. Maybe we could catch up or even take a ride.

If you would like to turn off the "shift indicator" then here are the simple steps to do so.

Push the menu button until you find "Vehicle"

Then use the Wonder Wheel and push with your thumb to the left.

Select "shift indicator" and push the wonder wheel to the left.

Select "off" and then push the wonder wheel to the left.

All done.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you know:

If you want to clean the bottom half of your windshield you can keep it in the fully raised position by setting it there and using the "Kill Switch" to shut off your engine. Do NOT shut off the ignition. When you are done cleaning the w/s, shut off the ignition and the w/s will park itself.

• Like 1
Did you know:

If you want to clean the bottom half of your windshield you can keep it in the fully raised position by setting it there and using the "Kill Switch" to shut off your engine. Do NOT shut off the ignition. When you are done cleaning the w/s, shut off the ignition and the w/s will park itself.

Gee, all that I do is switch on without starting the engine and then move the windshield to any position that I want! The windshield will go full down when you switch off. I have yet to even touch the kill switch on my RTs!

Edited by PadG

Woops. How right you are. I jumped to the conclusion that the w/s worked on the R/T like it did on the 1600; didn't even try the easy way first.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that the bikes clock is synched to the GPS? So when you ride across a US time zone the bike time changes automatically. Its a little disconcerting that the "time to destination" readout also knows...

Geoff

Did you know that the bikes clock is synched to the GPS? So when you ride across a US time zone the bike time changes automatically. Its a little disconcerting that the "time to destination" readout also knows...

Geoff

Did you know that you can set whether your bike clock synchronizes with the GPS? In one of the menus somewhere......I like that it has GPS time function available and find it nice on trips.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried to adjust my instrument cluster when I saw this option in the manual but mine will not adjust. 2015 R1200RT

I think if you push with both hands at the top or bottom of the instrument cluster you will find it has 3 positions. You can wiggle it easily, more force will give you an audible click as it changes positions. 2015 models have this feature.

• 3 weeks later...

NOEL, my instrument cluster allows for Digital MPH in Center display. Simultaneously, the side profile display on the right side allows for TPMS monitoring, MPG AVG, MPG INSTANT, Miles to empty, or ambient air temp. Also, the heated grips and seat icons. My bike is authority model.

NOEL, my instrument cluster allows for Digital MPH in Center display. Simultaneously, the side profile display on the right side allows for TPMS monitoring, MPG AVG, MPG INSTANT, Miles to empty, or ambient air temp. Also, the heated grips and seat icons. My bike is authority model.

All RT's do this, but you can't use the radio and have the digital MPH

Jay