IGNORED

Not the RT, but great adventures

Ken S

My ride in FL on the RT didn't work out this winter, so will have to settle with this for a while.

Cranford Trail headed toward Susitna River, near Big Lake, Alaska.

view?usp=sharing

Part of the old Iditarod Trail:

view?usp=sharing

Yamaha Bravo, long track:

view?usp=sharing

Looking west onto Susitna River:

view?usp=sharing

Susitna River, looking north at the old village of Susitna Station:

view?usp=sharing

Again with photos.

My ride in FL on the RT didn't work out this winter, so will have to settle with this for a while.

Cranford Trail headed toward Susitna River, near Big Lake, Alaska. Cranford1.jpg

Part of the old Iditarod Trail:

Cranford3.jpg

Yamaha Bravo, long track:

Cranford4.jpg

Looking west onto Susitna River: Cranford6.jpg

Susitna River, looking north at the old village of Susitna Station: CranfordSu1.jpg

Edited by Ken S

Yeah, that was me. They repaired the RT, but my time for a ride was gone, so hauled it back to my parents' house near Atlanta. Will be a few months before I can get back down south.

Nice pics, this will be my second winter since 86 without a sled. I miss it at times but probably not enough to get another one. There's a good and bad to that I guess, the good i'm saving money and the bad, I'm getting old! :grin:

Too bad your Florida ride got messed up.

Pat

I've had sleds since about '86 also. I moved to Alaska in 1985 and got a homestead from the state shortly after that. I built a small cabin on it and get to it by snowmobile or boat. But I haven't been there in 2 years, so am planning to head that way soon.

The Iditarod dog sled race goes up the river near the cabin (1st Sunday in March) and it's a big tailgate party (snowmobiles) on the river when they go through. Lots of people barbecuing and watching the dog teams.

• 1 year later...

Talk about adventure:

snogo_stuck3.jpg

This is over a year later and much different conditions. Rode the Yamaha 4-stroke snowmachine headed to my cabin. A blizzard developed and I got stuck in overflow (water under the snow and on top of the ice of a river). I ended up not being able to get it out by myself.

snogo_stuck2.jpg

After snowshoeing a few hours, getting exhausted and soaking wet, I found a cabin to get inside, start a fire and dry out. Got a ride back to civilization the next day from a couple I happended upon. Ended up leaving machine on the creek for a couple weeks waiting for conditions to improve.

snogo_stuck1.jpg

Just recovered it yesterday. It had frozen about 4 inches into the ice of the creek. Had to use a chainsaw to cut the ice all the way around, then roll the machine over and bang the ice off.

Looking forward to getting back on the RT.