IGNORED

Limited Editions We Do....

TEWKS

Well, if someone would pull the panels off my RT I would paint them. Probably a red very similar to your post.

Too much work getting the front stuff off!

Why can't BMW sell bikes in nice colors?

If I had that red (which I LOVE!) I would want to be waxing it all the time. I had a Harley to do that and don't really miss it that much anymore. My Callisto grey is awesome. No waxing, always looks clean. Just wipe it down with some stuff I got from Chemical guys and it looks great.The new GS & GSA are gorgeous also

Yes, I knew it looked a bit retro with the black shadowing so after you mentioned it, I did a search and found this pic. :thumbsup:

bmw-r100rs-1980-12.jpg

Pat

That red very much a tribute to the smoke red of the late 70's R100S and RT.

JR356

Yes, with gold pinstripes it was called Dark Red Metallic. You've identified the USA bikes it came on, but it was available elsewhere on other models and I ordered a complete RS fairing in it from Capital Cycle to convert my S to an RS.

When it was without pinstripes as on the early '80s R100RS, it was called Lava Red.

I think demand for this color on the new RT will prove astounding.

:thumbsup:

iXr0zNS.jpg

That is truly gorgeous!

I saw it in person on Sunday at a bike show in London and it looks even better than the photos. The limited-edition range of paints and saddle trim is called "Icon" and is deliberately deigned to hark back to previous models - as someone has already pointed out.

The red RT is nice, although I'd prefer just red without the fade-to-black treatment. I know it's a nod to tradition, just not my preference. Gimme red.

Well, I think the colour mix is fantastic.

So too is the price..Astronomical!

Over £20,000. I still find the price of these bikes a hard price to swallow.

However, It has got me thinking about buying a secondhand one in a colour I don't care for and get a body shop to try and replicate it. I was wary of certain colour combo's and what they did for the lines of a bike, but this really is sweet!

Andy, how much heavier (£20,000) is that than a similarly equipped, regular painted RT?

Or in other words, what are they whacking ya for the paint job? :grin:

Pat

Hi Tewks, the list price for a top spec regular UK model is £17000.

Not if you want all the "packs" and full spec top box it isn't!! I suspect you get pretty close to the £20k.

Why can't BMW sell bikes in nice colors?

Indeed. BMW offers only boring colors, and that is true for the cars as well as the bikes. I actually can't stand the color of my bike, Quartz Blue Metallic. It's blah. But I love the way it rides. And to tell the truth, I don't see much of the color while I'm riding. I'd much prefer a candy apple red, or a bright screaming yellow color.

Yup! Top box is a $1500 option with central locking. Couple hundred more with the BMW brake light. My dealer gave me a brake on the cost.......about $1200. :P

Well, back in the day (one small sample, others on this site.

K1100RS%20Mystic%20Red%20Suart%20(1).jpg

a little ramble around this site shows a lot of colour in the past,

even if I was convinced the only proper color for a beemer was(is) black w/pinstripes.

Unless you talk S bikes...

I rode that bike in the Alps! Wasn't bad but not my first choice. (R1100RS) Some monkey business went on where we picked up the motorcycles. Seems the name tags got swapped between bikes! :mad: (guessing it happened for a 100 dollar bill ;))

Pat

Ben was a persuasive man.

:grin:

Personally, recent BMW bikes have had only a few schemes that caught my eye.

Nothing like some of the K12 RS/GT/S and some K13's wrt R models in general.

Although the R 9T

W/all the luggage/fairing area seems like its mostly blah (no offense to anyone, judt my HO) colors.

Now the GS w/some black schemes

:thumbsup:

haven't even been on a dealer floor in years so going by pics and meet ups, so I've probably missed some beauts, but nothing like the way my black/silver RSL or a Silver smoke R90 S or an all black R100 in terms of class/statement head turners.

Best.

Well, I think the colour mix is fantastic.

So too is the price..Astronomical!

Over £20,000. I still find the price of these bikes a hard price to swallow.

Exactly my thoughts. These Wethead bikes are great, it seems the color schemes are evolving for the better (at most just buy it in plain black)... but that price tag, coupled with equally insane delivery times has been driving me away for over a year now.

I may be, may be, willing to pay that price if delivery times shrank quite a bit. Five months for a mass produced bike, no matter how great, is insanity. I could swallow the price, especially given BMW has better resale value than any other brand, but not waiting that long.

Dealers around here only carry normal GS-LC models and it's a bike I could not care less about.

Some have the occasional RT, but these are usually fully loaded bikes I don't want and don't need a lot of those options.

GS-A's and RS are unobtanium: expect to wait almost six months for one. Order in December to take delivery in late May/early June... right!

Oh well, the Hexhead is fully paid for, I know how much effort it takes to change a clutch and gearbox and I have this forum to keep it on the road. ;)

• 7 months later...

I am pleased to say that RT 29 of 100 resides in my garage as of 20th of August. I have taken the precaution of having all the red paintwork covered in 3M Ventureshield.

The bikes come to the UK in a plain colour, then a UK custom paint shop, 8Ball, paints them, 10 at a time I believe.

AS there is a total of 400 bikes to be done, it explains the delay.

One of the customers at my local dealer had ordered a brand new black K1600GT, but so fell in love with this paintwork that out of the crate the bodywork was shipped to 8Ball, & now he has a pretty unique K1600. I told him to get a small plaque on the tank saying "One of one" !

http://8ballcustompaintwork.com/

Interesting how they did the paint.

Martyn, how about a picture of your bike outside somewhere. I'm probably not the only one who'd love to see it in the sunlight! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Pat