BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 62 of 66 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
#942621 - 09/14/15 02:44 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: roger 04 rt
. (Do the UK R1200s have canisters?)

Morning Roger

I really don't know but most of the world has adopted evaporative emission control by now (evaporative emissions are one the biggest polluters) so my guess would be the UK R1200 does have a canister.

Maybe the bike's owner can tell us?

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#942636 - 09/14/15 04:45 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: dirtrider]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: dirtrider

Maybe the bike's owner can tell us?

Good idea wink I'll check & also go back over more of the data he sent.

#942748 - 09/15/15 09:02 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Afternoon DR,

Here is what the owner said about his bike:

"My bike is a 2009 R1200GS, full Remus exhaust system, stock paper element air filter.

No charcoal canister, I don`t think they are fitted to any UK bikes. We still don`t have emissions tests on bikes at the annual MOT inspection."

So it may be that on his bike the BMSK knows about the absence of the Canister and never tries to open the purge.

When I get some data from a US rider, we'll see how those trims look. Terryckd has a camhead with dual LC-1s so his data should be well adapted and interesting.
RB

Last edited by roger 04 rt; 09/15/15 09:02 PM.
#957218 - 04/05/16 05:22 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
Trobinson Offline
Trobinson  Offline

San Antonio, TX
I thought I'd post this to this old thread since it definitely applies.

One of the forum members was generous enough to give me his LC-1 as he had switched to the LC-2. I installed it yesterday and took the bike for a ride this morning. For some additional background I've been riding my '96 R1100RT w/o a CCP pretty much since I got it a couple of years ago. First this was because I didn't know anything about it. Then because the bike ran better w/o it. With a CCP (actually a jumper configured for it) it would pop on deceleration and power wasn't as good as I thought it should be. That said my impressions are below.

Filled the tank and went on a 98 mile ride through Texas hill country. Some twisties, plenty of highway speeds, and a few hils. Obviously I was looking for improvement and to be honest I didn't get a WOW, but rather a very cool, this bike is running noticeably better, feel. grin Now remember, I've been riding this bike w/o a CCP pretty much the entire time I've owned it.

Impressions:
1. Idle is smoother. Almost don't notice it running!
2. Power is smoother and stronger.
3. Engine is smoother throughout although still buzzy at 5k rpms and up. A run to 95 was much improved and much smoother though. I generally didn't like taking it above 80 or so because of this.
4. Deceleration is good with no popping. With the standard O2 sensor and a jumper installed for the CCP it would definitely pop on decel.
5. On/off throttle is better. First gear is definitely still a sharper transition, but it is easier to control.

I can't thank the guy enough for letting me have the LC-1. I'm gonna have to get a laptop so I can hook it up with logworks and see just what I'm running at as well as a GS-911 so I can see what the Motronic is doing. I need to clean up the install at a later date (right now the LC-1 is under the seat with the cable tie-wrapped to the frame) but will do this next time I have the tank off.

Tom
San Antonio, TX

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

1996 R1100RT
#957263 - 04/05/16 09:54 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
Trobinson Offline
Trobinson  Offline

San Antonio, TX
I forgot to mention my fuel economy on this ride was 47mpg! smile

Tom
San Antonio, TX

1996 R1100RT
#957291 - 04/06/16 10:51 AM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Hi Tom,
Glad to see that you made a successful installation of the LC-1, which someone kindly donated to you. It's not a small job to install it and nurture it. The same results you're seeing can also be obtained with an AF-XIED, without the programming and wiring.

I'm curious what lambda setting its on an hope that you can post some of that info.

Here is a link that will get you to the part of this thread where an LC-1 was first installed on an R1100RT: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=848073. Go to post 848073.

The coding plug that will work best is a 30-87 jumper (yellow plug) and I hope that is the one you're using.

When you can get a notebook PC or a cold start log in your garage, it will be interesting to see how your bike is interacting with the LC-1. You will need a serial to USB cable if you don't already have one, or a serial port on your PC if it's older. You can now learn a lot about how your bike fuels, enjoy!

Added: Regarding the buzz above 5K, that might improve if you had your injectors cleaned and flow tested. With good matching, the buzz is less. It might also improve over time as you run several tanks of gas. During that time your Motronic will develop short term and long term trims that will spread the extra fueling from the Closed Loop area into the Open Loop part of the fuel map, at wider throttle angles and higher RPMs. With the added fuel in the Open Loop area, your combustion will be less sensitive to the fueling differences that may exist between the left and right cylinders.

Last edited by roger 04 rt; 04/06/16 10:55 AM.
#957294 - 04/06/16 11:56 AM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: Trobinson]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Trobinson
Clip-- Engine is smoother throughout although still buzzy at 5k rpms and up. A run to 95 was much improved and much smoother though. I generally didn't like taking it above 80 or so because of this.

Morning Tom

That 5K up engine buzz is mechanical not fueling or engine control related. Just a common factor in a 2 cyl boxer with large pistons (all the 2 cyl BMW boxers have it, some worse than others).

Your BMW 2 cyl boxer have 2 somewhat large pistons that completely come to a stop then restart in the opposite direction twice per revolution. So, even though the BMW boxer engine is inherently balanced there is still that disturbance (buzz) caused from both pistons starting & stopping at end of stroke. Then to make it feel even worse those large pistons are not directly across from each other as the 2 cyl BMW boxer is a 360 firing engine (both pistons go out together & come in together) so they can't be on the same crankshaft journal. Due to this piston off-set there is rocking couple as the pistons start & stop so that adds even more to the rider felt high RPM buzz.

BMW sort of addressed the high RPM buzz on the 1200 boxer by adding a balance shaft but it is only a single balance shaft & seeing as the engine is inherently balanced that balance shaft only split the disturbance (lowered it's peak) so the peak buzz is less but still there.

You really can't so much with the high RPM engine buzz but you can help the rider felt input by playing with bar end weights & bar mounting (basically turn the handlebars into tuned absorbers), changing foot placement on the foot pegs, try different boots & socks, etc. (basically you can't change the high RPM mechanical buzz but you can sort of change the way that buzz disturbance enters your hands, feet, & butt)

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#957320 - 04/06/16 04:48 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Morning DR,
No doubt what you say about inherent buzz. However it can be significantly amplified by unequal combustion.

I found that my engine was noticeably smoother at high RPMs after richening my fueling. There was also a smoothness improvement after I rewired all my ignition coils through a separate relay.
RB

#957324 - 04/06/16 05:00 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: roger 04 rt]  
Trobinson Offline
Trobinson  Offline

San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted By: roger 04 rt
Hi Tom,
The coding plug that will work best is a 30-87 jumper (yellow plug) and I hope that is the one you're using.

When you can get a notebook PC or a cold start log in your garage, it will be interesting to see how your bike is interacting with the LC-1. You will need a serial to USB cable if you don't already have one, or a serial port on your PC if it's older. You can now learn a lot about how your bike fuels, enjoy!

Hi Roger,

I'm using a jumper from 30 to 87/87A. The parts fiche does show only 30 to 87, but says with mixture control and cat. Unless they mean an O2 sensor is installed and not the CO pot I don't have mixture control (no CO pot). I'll try changing it to just 30/87 and see how it behaves. I tried finding the post in one of your threads that went through all the CCP configurations, but was unsuccessful. Do you know where it is?

Regarding getting data I will try that with my desktop in the next week or so. Just a pain to lug it down to the garage and connect everything up.

Tom
San Antonio, TX

1996 R1100RT
#957327 - 04/06/16 05:05 PM Re: Introduction and O2 Question [Re: Trobinson]  
Trobinson Offline
Trobinson  Offline

San Antonio, TX
Hi DR,

I understand the nature of the beast. I never felt it much in the hands or feet, but more through the whole bike. Now it is much better and hopefully as Roger says will improve with adaptation and maybe a little playing with the LC-1. We'll see.

Tom

Tom
San Antonio, TX

1996 R1100RT
Page 62 of 66 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 65 66