Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#965260 - 07/06/16 04:18 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: davidtn]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Well, the adaptor fell into the headlight assembly. After I spent about an hour trying to get the clips fastened.

Front of bike is apart and headlight on bench.

Right now I can tell you the "BMW" boot you pay for does NOT fit an RT.

If I survive this, and right now I am not convinced it will have an LED when I ride it next, I will do a report........

#965263 - 07/06/16 05:26 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Pictures of your trauma would be good!

#965285 - 07/06/16 09:13 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: realshelby]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Pull up a chair, this will take a while. Took a bit over a week to get the LED bulb and hardware mentioned in the earlier post. I did NOT get a warm fuzzy feeling of a high quality part, the box it came in was a used box with newspaper for packing. The bulb looks like the pictures on the website, the harness is as described also. The optional BMW rubber covers, well there were three covers included. None of which fit, but that is for later. It comes with two adaptors that allow you to turn the bulb 90 degrees. It suggests the emitters be horizontal, that is what I went with. That will effect beam pattern and I will report on that another time. Started out fine, working from front of bike I removed the round cover, then the wiring connector. Removed the clips and pulled out the bulb. Easy. Figured out which of the adaptors I wanted and put it in place. Easy. Put one side of the wire clip in place.

I simply could not get the other side fastened. I think I bent it in my efforts. Then I tried to get the other side back loose so I could regroup and figure this out. That was when the white adaptor fell into the headlamp housing!

You can see from the above pictures what came next. Honestly it isn't that bad to take it all apart. And I had no choice anyway. Takes time.
I started to just put it back together with the Halogen bulb and be done. I did go to the parts store and buy two H1 Xtra Vision bulbs for the high beams since they were easy to get to. The stock bulbs were like kerosene lanterns...Meanwhile I adjusted my attitude and decided to put the Terry touch to figuring this out. I have sent an e-mail to the place I bought the bulb. Have not heard back yet, they are in Europe. Looking at the parts it was obvious that the pictures on their website were nothing like the new RT. I double checked and I did order for a new RT LC. There is no way they have tried to fit their bulb into a new RT. They have assumed it would fit. The bulb is way off center of the main access hole.

#965286 - 07/06/16 09:25 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: realshelby]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Not one to give up on something without an effort, I started studying the parts I had, where they went, and how could I seal this thing up. What I came up with is completely sealed and I could return it to the halogen bulb with little effort if on the road and this &^*% thing fails. I will use this picture again, it shows where I used one of the rubber boots they sent to seal off the low beam part of the housing. At least it should be dustproof, and since the outer housing is completely sealed it won't matter much. You can see the rubber boot at the base of the bulb, it has the notch made in it.

Installing the provided cable is simple. Done that and then started on modifying the factory access cover. Using a die grinder I removed a cast in rib and thinned out the lip for clearance. I got it so it would go on with the bulb in place!

Next was making a hole for clearance for the power cable.

Finally I took a cap off a spray can and cut it down some for a cover for the cable. I epoxied this in place. Plenty of room for this once back on the bike. This gives me a waterproof installation. As to heat, time will tell, but since this will put out less heat than the halogen I don't expect problems with the housing. I will know right away, it is in the upper 90's here.

I works! Nice white light. No idea what the pattern is. If it is screwed up, it is coming back out.

#965321 - 07/07/16 12:47 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: realshelby]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Looks like my trophy wall of stupid purchases will have another display added! Do NOT buy this LED system.

The beam pattern was actually better than I thought. Almost identical to the halogen bulb pattern but more light and a nice white light. I rode around the neighborhood to test it first.

Then the bulb started getting dimmer.

Which means it is shutting down due to overheating. It says it has a built in sensor that reduces power when it gets too hot. Brought it back and removed the cover, rear assembly was way too hot to touch. There is simply no way for this bulb to get cooling air onto it without leaving the cover off and there is no way I am doing that. Clearly this product is misrepresented. It may work in a GS or other RT. But when you order for a specific model and it is this far off from first fitting and then operating, they simply did not do any research.

It is coming back out.

#965322 - 07/07/16 12:59 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
Mike Offline
Administrator
Mike  Offline

Administrator

Chicago area, IL, USA
Thanks for the writeup . . . and for offering a few hours of your time as a guinea pig.

I've put in a better halogen bulb and carry a spare in my tankbag. I wish there were a better solution for a low beam bulb replacement, but I feel adequately illuminated with my auxiliary lights.

Mike The Moderator
Born to be Mild
#965333 - 07/07/16 02:44 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
92Merc Offline
92Merc  Offline

North Dakota, USA
Man, that serious sucks. Thanks for all that work and attention to detail.

2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT (Present)
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100 (17 years, Gone)
1995 Honda Shadow VLX (2 years, Long Gone)
#965489 - 07/09/16 01:43 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: Mike]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Originally Posted By: Mike

I've put in a better halogen bulb and carry a spare in my tankbag. I wish there were a better solution for a low beam bulb replacement, but I feel adequately illuminated with my auxiliary lights.

I think that auxilliary lights are the only solution for better lighting on the new RT. My experience with aftermarket LED and HID lights has been one of unreliable operation and with only one low beam lamp I don't want it going out on a curve on a dark rainy night!

I have it back to the Osram Nightbreaker H7 Halogen bulb. I too have a spare in the road kit I carry.

#965819 - 07/13/16 02:24 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
CWRoady Offline
Newer Member
CWRoady  Offline
Newer Member

I finally had to change the dreaded low beam in a motel parking lot on a trip I just concluded. I got around 17k and 16 months on the original bulb. I used the sit in front of the bike method and everything was fairly straightforward for me UNTIL it came time to reattach the clips. I snapped pics with my phone several times trying to figure of why I was having such a hard time getting the clips re-seated. The "window" to push the clip into (to catch the hooks) is extremely small (I have a pic, but can't attach it for some reason). My fingertips were sore for a day or so after my numerous attempts to seat the clip. My solution finally was a very small screwdriver I had in my toolkit with a notch I had dremmeled in the very center of the blade. This screwdriver was used to remove the GPS on my old RT that had one of those tamper proof screws installed. This screwdriver allowed me to place the clip in the notch of the screwdriver and apply enough pressure with the screwdriver while aligning the clip with my freehand. Only a couple of attempts to success with this method. I did remove the left speaker at one point, but didn't find it to really add any value to the process.

2015 BMW RT
2007 KTM 300xcw
#965887 - 07/14/16 01:02 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: CWRoady]  
PadG Offline
PadG  Offline

Solon, OH
Thanks for that tip!

Pad. Gajajiva, Solon OH.

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Metallic)
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7