IGNORED

Packtalk

T.M. Roe

I am about to drop the hammer and purchase a set of Cardo Packtalk Duos. I looked at the Sena 20s and cant get past the water issues.

From what I read the Packtalks can be hard to set up and many find them to be too complicated. I know that since they were released last summer the folks at Cardo have been hard at work fixing the bugs and apparently the latest updates help immensely. Has anyone out there purchased a set in the last couple of months and can comment on the latest version?

Hugs,

Tommy

No, but I just wondered if you knew that SENA updated the older SMH-10 with the just-released 10S. Maybe it has the features you want (it's a step, or half-step down from the 20S).

Tommy, Not sure about the PackTalk, and don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a 20S and am wondering what you mean about "the water issues"? Not being totally waterproof? If so, I rode a few days ago in pouring rain for over an hour - had/have no issues at all.

Good luck with your search.

If the subject of the 20s comes up the Internet floods with horror story after horror story of water infiltrating the unit and shutting it down and folks upset with the service from Sena.

There are folks who haven't had any problems but they are out numbered by the water logged 3 to 1 and even Sena states that the unit is only water resistant. I have spent way too many long days, burning up big miles in the pouring rain to risk loosing my com center to inclement weather.

Interesting. Thanks.

If the subject of the 20s comes up the Internet floods with horror story after horror story of water infiltrating the unit and shutting it down and folks upset with the service from Sena.

There are folks who haven't had any problems but they are out numbered by the water logged 3 to 1 and even Sena states that the unit is only water resistant. I have spent way too many long days, burning up big miles in the pouring rain to risk loosing my com center to inclement weather.

I sold the G4, G9, GX9, for years and yes, those models are more complicated to deal with then a Sena but my rep says the Packtalk is much easier to use and set up than previous models made by Cardo/Scala.

My old G4, I've shaken the water out of a couple times and it's never missed a lick over the years.

Hey Brother Rob its good to see your voice.

I know there are many folks that have had great service from their Senas in all sorts of weather. I have not had much luck in the past hoping to "get a good one", rather I'm more apt to catch the stinker.

I would not want to be sitting next to a leo, getting a performance reward for 80 in the rain because I bought the water resistant com instead of the waterproof one to save a hundred bucks. That would really bug me.

szurszewski

Maybe the ratio is 3 to 1 because most of us who don't have problems don't bother posting about them? I don't have a 20s (I have a 10c) but my wife and son share a dual pack and haven't any water related problems. They don't ride in the rain as much as I do, but we all were caught in two hours of maybe the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in, this past Halloween (we got multiple inches that day, and we were of course riding during the heaviest part :dopeslap: ).

My 10c got me through 240 miles of solid downpour a few weeks ago with me listening to music and taking photos/video the whole time, and the first gen set of Sena 10...whatever they were have survived years of rain.

We HAVE had some tech issues, and occasional connection problems. The newer ones are much better about that (except that there are so many more options now I find that I am screwing up settings more - maybe I'm just getting old). Sena has been great about answering questions on phone, via email and in person (stopped by the booth at the IMS last year).

Not trying to talk you out of the other, just throwing some anecdotal data at you.

Oh - and if you are really worried about those performance awards, you could, you know, slow down a bit more when it rains :) :) :)

josh

PS - water resistant vs waterproof: to me, waterproof would mean it would work under water; I don't know if any of them are capable of that, but if they are I'd be really impressed!

Edited by szurszewski

I have owned (3) of the Sena 5 series, (2) of the older 10 series, and I have one of the latest 10 series in use now. This after spending a fortune on other brands. None performed remotely close to the Sena. I assume there are some out there by now that would, I have not bought anything but a Sena for a few years now.

The ONLY problem with water was one that you will have on any brand. I didn't get the charge port closed properly on one of the older 10 units. It acted up on an all day ride where I was in heavy rain a lot. But it dried out overnight and was fine after that. Moral of the story is that water will get into any port not properly sealed. Some of that responsibility is on the owner!

I have read many stories of Senas getting wet, shutting down, drying out and working fine, I get that. I am trying to avoid the waiting to dry-out part of the story.

The Packtalk carries an *IP67 rating.

*IP First number - Protection against solid objects. IP Second number - Protection against liquids. Most environmentally sealed Pocket PCs are rated IP67. They are protected from dust and capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.

I certainly get wanting a waterproof unit. One point I tried to make is that waterproof rating is only effective IF the owner puts all port covers back in place properly. In other words the Sena units I have owned have all been in heavy rains, I had one fail because I left the charge port open. My Samsung phone is waterproof. As long as you fasten the charging port cover back properly. Which means it doesn't always get done properly. If there are any port covers on the Packtalk, it may in fact not be any more water resistant in the real world than other brands. Laboratory testing and claims from that are sometimes different from user experience.

The packtalk looks to compare directly to the Sena 20. I am sure it will be a good performer, it seems Cardo and Sena are both well respected in the motorcycle community.

Edited by realshelby

No input on the pactalk, but I ride daily, rain, shine, snow, ice, hail, thunderstorms and can say that my Sena has seen it all and never failed me.

It's like someone earlier said, maybe the bad outnumber the good because those that are satisfied don't post about it as much.

Good luck on your search.

I have spent way too many long days, burning up big miles in the pouring rain

You ride a lot?

I was wondering about the somebody to talk to question...

:wave:

I have spent way too many long days, burning up big miles in the pouring rain

You ride a lot?

I was wondering about the somebody to talk to question...

:wave:

I mostly yell, "hey get off the the sidewalk" or "coming through"

(Hey pavement is pavement).

• 5 months later...
I am about to drop the hammer and purchase a set of Cardo Packtalk Duos. I looked at the Sena 20s and cant get past the water issues.

From what I read the Packtalks can be hard to set up and many find them to be too complicated. I know that since they were released last summer the folks at Cardo have been hard at work fixing the bugs and apparently the latest updates help immensely. Has anyone out there purchased a set in the last couple of months and can comment on the latest version?

Hugs,

Tommy

T.M. Roe,

You may have resolved you question by now, but...

I bought a pair of Cardo Q3's in July that just never would work right. Cardo eventually replaced both under warranty and they seem to be much better now, but have not done any three day rides in rain to thoroughly test them. While waiting on the UPS man I found a smokin deal on a set of "new" PACKTALK units. They worked OK, and then I updated them. BIG DIFFERENCE. Don't know what they did but it sure is better and easier. Really handy to use the cell phone as a "remote control" for them, too. The little flip-up antenna works wonders on range, too.

I found a pair of very small 2600 mAh "Portable Power Bank" packs for recharging cell phones for $4.40 ea. We can velcro these onto the helmet behind the Cardo, plug them in and run for two days plus without recharging.

I have to say the Cardo Customer Service people have been STELLAR. They have been just super. They know their stuff and bend over backwards to get you happy and going.