IGNORED

Anyone tried Metzler Roadtec 01 tires on their RT?

paRTy

Looking to put on new tires. I have Pirelli Angel Gt now. Thinking of something different. Love the GT's, but wondering about the 01's.

Anyone try these yet?

Thanks

I got a set but they aren't on the bike, still have good life in PR4's. I think they will be a good tire from the information I've seen. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Jay

My bike came with Metzlers. 6000 miles and done. I switched to Shinko 011 Verge and have 8000 on them. Still going, but there is a flat area from all of the Interstate riding I did in May. I just ordered a set of Shinko's newest dual compound tires http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/016-verge-2x

I will install them in early July before vacation. I buy all tires from https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ I can't beat their prices and free shipping to my door within a few days.

realshelby

I too am looking for some feedback from the new Metzeler Roadtec 01's. I strongly considered buying a set to put on for the trip to the UNrally. I think they may be a little bit less squiggly than the PR4's since they don't have all the sipes. But who knows about mileage. I will let someone else be the Guinea Pig on them! Just delivered, a set of the new Bridgestone T30 EVO GT spec. $225 shipped. Just cannot force myself to pay a lot more for tires that may not get better mileage........

realshelby

That is an interesting article. But like 90% of them it is just talking about the "bold new tread pattern and 10% more wear". Which if keeping count would be netting 20,000 mile tires if every "new" tire in this class gets 10-15% more mileage. I filled out a survey on RoadRunner for a free set of these tires. You would have to take pictures and send in updates about wear and performance. I would have been a good test subject! But I think it was a ploy to get more e-mail addresses in their system judging by my junk mail.....

I would like to see the reports from owners at the end of the tires life. I am SURE it handles well, is good in the wet, is quiet, and pleases all sorts of neighbors. But how many miles does it go?

2015 R1200RT -200lb solo rider- went from PR4's to the Roadtec 01's (HW rear) and like them over the Michelins - did not like the turn in characteristics on the PR4's - seemed like the front and rear were always out of synch and I was correcting in turns - seemed too quick to turn in on the front and then I was correcting - 01's don't turn in so quickly and track better for me in turns - line in turns seems more surefooted for me but I don't ride on the pegs so I cannot compare overall lean traction wet/dry - have about 3K on them now; PR4 front tire was getting some blocks at the 7500 mile mark - run 38/42 psi; Like the MCN article stated, they are all very good tires - Safe travels

Doesn't answer the longevity question, but I thought it might be worth posting the MCN sport touring tire comparo again -- they liked the 01 quite a bit...

Bought a set today from Revzilla. HVM for rear, regular for front.

Lowest prices found and Metzler is having a $50 pre paid visa card rebate right now if you buy 2 qualifying tires.

Will report back on how they feel once installed and ridden.

Just replaced original pr4's with continental road attack2's. Huge improvement, turn in is great & corner stability is excellent!

Appreciate all the input on alternatives. I'm due for new tires soon. I have 6400 miles on my PR4 GT's. The front tire is cupping and has 1/32" until it hits the wear bars. Started hearing the roar about a month ago. The back isn't far behind with 2/32" until the wear bar is flush. I wish I could remember what brand/model was originally on the bike. I almost hit 9000 miles on those. The PR4's inspired great confidence, particularly in the rain, but with the flat terrain and smooth roads I ride, I need more miles out of tires than what I'm going to get from these PR4's.

Ken

Ken...my 2014RT came with Conti Road Attacks. Traction was awful wet or dry. In mild twisties they would slip out. At 3000 miles they looked worn, and 4000 miles they were gone.

Edited by Skywagon
  • 7 months later...

cricket chirping....

I too would like to hear from actual owners that have run them to replacement. That is the ONLY review I take seriously.

I have a set sitting, waiting for me to burn up my Pirelli Angel GT. But they are lasting a little longer then normally and I haven't been able to get any riding in either.

A friend with a CamHead mounted a set last week to replace his Michelin Roda Pilot 4's and so far likes it.

Dave, I like the Angel GT better then the PR4's. I am on my 3 or 4th set.

They don't last as long, but they handle better for me, rain or shine. I also have been very impressed with the grip on dirty damp roads,

Make sure you get the special compound for the rear and front tire, as I believe they last a little longer.

Edited by Bernie
  • 4 months later...

I'm at 3750 miles on my Roadtec 01's. I think I will hit a left side, front wear bar at 4000 miles. The back is further away from wear bars, particularly in the center.

PR4's lasted 5000 miles for me before hitting a rear central wear bar. The Z8's that came with the bike stumbled to 4000 miles with the cords about to show in the rear center.

I really like the 01's. Was hoping for some more miles, but 4000 quality miles without the sudden appearance of cords is enough for me. I do not like the dynamics of the PR4's; certainly wish that I did.

I should really order tires today. I wonder if there is anything else I should try. Roadsmart III's? I'd consider Angel GT's if I could get the Pirelli web site to specify which rear to use on my bike. And has been mentioned elsewhere, it has not distinguished itself mileage wise. And Pirelli and Metzeler are the same company.

I would be thoroughly satisfied with the 01's forever. Just wishing for a bit more mileage. Too many damn turns around here.

I just replaced my original Z8's last week. Rear Z8's were down to the cords. But I made it to 12,500 miles.

Front I replaced a week later. It had tread left. The center strip had more to go. But the sides had some weird "lumps" on it that I just didn't like the look of. And I ordered both new front and rear anyway, so away they went.

I decided to go with the Roadtec 01's. So far so good, but only 500 miles on rear and 100 on the front. My front Z8's growled a bit on turns. I'm assuming from the lumps. New tires "sing" a bit with treads. One bonus of being deaf, it doesn't bother me.

I must be a "light" rider compared to some here. Or we have better roads. But I thought I would report my findings anyway.

LittleBriar

I've got 4k miles plus a track day on my 01's. They still look good with plenty of tread left. It looks like I should get over 10k on them. They worked well on the track day too.

I had the Z8's on prior and experienced the same as others here. Front scalloped and rear suddenly wore through to cords in center without warning. Rear had about 9k on it when cords were exposed.

I just replaced my original Z8's last week. Rear Z8's were down to the cords. But I made it to 12,500 miles.

Front I replaced a week later. It had tread left. The center strip had more to go. But the sides had some weird "lumps" on it that I just didn't like the look of. And I ordered both new front and rear anyway, so away they went.

I decided to go with the Roadtec 01's. So far so good, but only 500 miles on rear and 100 on the front. My front Z8's growled a bit on turns. I'm assuming from the lumps. New tires "sing" a bit with treads. One bonus of being deaf, it doesn't bother me.

I must be a "light" rider compared to some here. Or we have better roads. But I thought I would report my findings anyway.

I have 20,000 km (12,000 mi) on my original Z8s. There is still 4 mm or so tread on the rear and 2.5 mm or so on the front. The rear wear looks even, the front seems to have worn more off-center than in the center, probably due to the different rubber composition. Looks like they will be good for another few thousand miles/kilometers.

LittleBriar

Will,

Just keep really close eye on the rears. They will expose cords right in the middle of the tire very suddenly. I thought I had a few thousand more miles when I looked at them and the cords were exposed just 300 miles later.

Edited by LittleBriar
Will,

Just keep really close eye on the rears. They will expose cords right in the middle of the tire very suddenly. I thought I had a few thousand more miles when I looked at them and the cords were exposed just 300 miles later.

Good advice. I plan to. I just finished a 10,000 km trip. I was expecting to have to replace them mid-trip, but they came through fine.
Will,

Exactly how my Z8's behaved. I left to return home which involved a 380m ride and by the time I got home there the cords were, and that was after having had a rear tire flat 200 mile from home in Hollister CA while accelerating on an onramp at Casa De Fruita--the TPM alerted me way before I felt anything. So I had an intimate look at the rear tire during the repair and no cords showed until I got home, 200m later!

I'm at 4044 miles on the 01's, and I'm just barely above a left side, front wear bar. I'd feel comfortable doing a 200 mile ride in dry conditions, and the way the weather and dealer hours are shaping up, I probably will. The rear is in pretty good shape, and I don't think it's capable of suddenly disappearing in the center like the Z8's do. There are too many grooves and wear bars too close to the center for that too happen.

I think my experiences have basically reproduced the recent German tire test, which ranked 01's first, followed by Z8's, Conti Road Attacks of uncertain model, with PR4's bringing up the rear.

Will,

I do watch them. I had 5 mm of tread depth in the middle of the rear tire when I started a recent trip. At the start, the tires had 10,000 km on them. With the trip behind me, the tires have 20,000 km on them and the rear tire has 3 mm of tread remaining. The front tire has about 2.5 mm remaining in the center of the tread and maybe 1.5 mm off the center. It is wearing more unevenly than the rear for some reason. I am guessing that is because the center of the tire has a harder compound that the sides.

4797 miles (1x START & 1/2x UnRally) and the cords came out in the back tire and the left side of the front was totally bald.

I switched back to Pirelli Angel GT tires, at least they normally last around 6 to 7K miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my 01's at 4186 miles with another pair. This revealed that the feel of the front end had drifted during their lifetime - but never felt bad. The new 01's seem to flop over quickly and be super stable, but still transition quickly side to side. The worn fronts turned less quickly and were a little less stable - but never bad. So I'm penciling in 4200 quality miles for the 01's.

No matter how good they feel, that is still another report of under 5000 miles. I just cannot live with that!

• Like 1
Replaced my 01's at 4186 miles with another pair. This revealed that the feel of the front end had drifted during their lifetime - but never felt bad. The new 01's seem to flop over quickly and be super stable, but still transition quickly side to side. The worn fronts turned less quickly and were a little less stable - but never bad. So I'm penciling in 4200 quality miles for the 01's.

Can you tell us the tire pressure you are running and the type of surface you ride (Chip Seal, concrete...) and if you have a heavy throttle hand :) Sorry for all the questions

Jay

Not at all.

42/36 on the tire pressure.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would know chip seal if I am seeing it. I ride in East Tennessee, West North Carolina, south west Virginia. If people know that there's a lot of chip seal here, please add that to the conversation. I simply don't know what chip seal looks like, but that doesn't mean I'm not riding on it. I can say that there's not much concrete I encounter.

I'm not touring on my RT; I'm doing my version of sport riding. I imagine that would translate to the aggressive side of the bell curve, particularly for the RT. I spend a lot of time leaned over, and sure, I accelerate out a turn, but I'm not gunning it; don't really try to get to high speeds in the straights at all. Pretty much riding "The Pace".

With a couple of exceptions, I do find I wear the sides of my fronts. On some other forum, this led a member to derisively suggest that I "ride the front" a lot. I don't know what that means - it's the only time I've heard that expression. I Googled it and didn't get any clarification. There are a lot of curves here. I don't wheelie around them, so yeah, I use my front to steer.

I'll add that another thing I like about the 01's is that I don't get huge amounts of scalloping on the front or "ski jumping" (front edge of a groove wears down; back edge of the groove curves up) on the rear. There's some, but not a lot.

And something which may be completely irrational, although I think there's got to be some interesting technical aspects to it: the chicken strips on the 01's, on my RT, are evenly matched front and rear. When I see massive front strips and a rear that is almost to its edge, I feel that somehow the tires are not well matched, whether to each other, the bike, or me.

In absolute terms, 4200 miles sucks. But it's the second best result I've gotten to the PR4's (5000 miles), which I really don't like. That's the thing with PR's in my experience - the bad news is I dislike them; the good news is I'm stuck with them for a long time.

• Like 1

A road may start out as pure asphalt. But in many regions such as my own, they later come along and lay down an oily/tarish substance. Usually hot dropped onto the asphalt. They then add small bits of stones, or chips, to that oil.

It eventually just presses into the top layer of the asphalt. But it makes the top layer more durable. That second application is what many call "chip seal". It adds chips and seals the top of the asphalt.

RecentConvert

I have the Roadtec 01 on the RT. They are 5500 miles in and I expect another 2500 or more. The Z8's they replaced made 6500 miles and were toast.

The O1's have excellent traction in the dry. They aren't quiet tires. After using up two sets of PR4s, I felt the need to check out other brands.

I already have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's to replace the Metzelers. I go through 1.5 sets of tires per season.

Recent Convert, your experiences will be a valuable comparison. I am running the RoadSmart III now. Have not run the Roadtec 01 and with the information I have about them they won't be a tire I would buy. I may just go back to the T-30 EVO, but I would like to try the Angel GT. That is what I was planning to buy to try when I bought the RoadSmart III.

RecentConvert

RealShelby,

What are your thoughts on the Dunlop Roadsmart 3? I took advantage of the rebate and a sale and bought a set for net $215. The tests have them in the same ballpark or better than the PR4.

The PR4s have worn very quickly on the sides for me, 7000 miles on a rear, tops. The Z8 Metzelers were good until they were bad with lots of scalloping and irregular wear 6500 miles. The O1 metzelers are doing very well with even wear. 90% of my riding is two up, near the weight limit. I would buy the 01's again, but will use the Dunlops next.

I've had a set of Roadtec 01's HWM on the GT for about 1000 miles. I've always liked Metzelers except for the tread today cord tomorrow issue. The 01 is a good handling tire in both wet and dry conditions. Some of the guys on the K1600 board have reported some wear issues with the front which by the way are made in China.

I have had three sets of Angel GT A spec tires on the GT and a set of T30s. Overall wear and handling of the Angel GT has been outstanding even though the GT shreds tires, 4-5000 miles is about all I can get.

I mounted a set of T-30s GT version last winter and was impressed by the handling but the rear was done for at 4000 miles. I was never a fan of Bridgstones on my motorcycles but the T-30 is a different story. Already had the Metzelers or I would have bought another set because of the price. I just ordered a set of T-30 Evos from Jake Wilson they were $250 shipped and with a 50 dollar rebate it was a no brainer. I would mount another set of Angel GT for a long trip but for riding in the East Alabama "mountains" I have found the Brigestones more than adequate.

I have had three sets of Angel GT A spec tires on the GT and a set of T30s. Overall wear and handling of the Angel GT has been outstanding even though the GT shreds tires, 4-5000 miles is about all I can get.

I mounted a set of T-30s GT version last winter and was impressed by the handling but the rear was done for at 4000 miles. I was never a fan of Bridgstones on my motorcycles but the T-30 is a different story. Already had the Metzelers or I would have bought another set because of the price. I just ordered a set of T-30 Evos from Jake Wilson they were $250 shipped and with a 50 dollar rebate it was a no brainer. I would mount another set of Angel GT for a long trip but for riding in the East Alabama "mountains" I have found the Brigestones more than adequate.

I will likely try the Angel GT next time. But it won't be the "A" spec or whatever they call the heavier sidewall version. I have run 3 or 4 sets of the Bridgestone T-30, the last one or two sets the "EVO". These were all the "A" spec heavier tire. BTW, these are $225 per set everyday at americanmototire.com and you can do the Bridgestone rebate yourself iirc. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the T-30. I have not run one right to the wear bars as I always seem to be going on a trip that the rear just won't finish. So a new one goes on. At $125 for a rear I can throw it away with 2500 miles left on it and not care so much. Judging from the tread depths as miles go by, I could get 7500-8000 miles out of a rear T-30 and probably twice that on the front tire. RoadSmart III starts out with deeper tread, but is already showing less tread at similar miles than the T-30. So my goal of a longer lasting rear tire isn't served with the Dunlop.

Hey, Terry - I am just curious about why you have bad feeling about the Roadtec 01? I am sure that I read all the same threads that you do, but I didn't see too much that were negative in my mind! Just want to know what I might have missed! :)

Bernie had to take a set off while at the Unrally. About 4500 miles and they were GONE. Maybe he'll chip in about that. I am not seeing even the really high mile posts like you see with the PR4 for instance ( I have NO idea how they get those miles?). In fact I am seeing average miles at best. While there have been some front tire wobble issues, that isn't across the board so I don't know. The two biggest negatives to me are they are reported as being rather noisy and the price point per set is in the $300 range. My personal opinion is that the Angel GT is getting much better reports and costs less. I will likely try those next. I still say that so far for me there is not a better all around tire than the Bridgestone T-30 EVO, available for $225 per set. I was/am simply looking for the elusive 10,000 mile rear tire......

Well, after only getting 4,700 miles out of the RoadTec 01 tires before the cords appeared, I replaced them with Angel GT "A" compound.

I believe the Angels "handle" better for me, and normally last 7-8k before cords.

I like their "feel" better than the PR-4 GT's.

The RoadTec 01 "behaved" better than the PR4-GT's, but not as well as the Angels.

I do believe, I had the rear slipped a few times and the front left side developed a real bad edge. This provided excessive excitement on Wahah Bald Rd in a few tight left hand curves.

This extreme wear is something I never had happen on any other tire make or model in the last 185,000 miles on my 2007 R1200RT.

As I said this is my experience with my old 2007 R1200RT, for all I know the WetHeads will be far more gentler with their tires. :rofl:

As for the PR4-GT's, they last the longest of all tires I tried, around 1-2k miles longer and I have "never" ever had the cords appear with any PR-2,3 or 4's. So if I needed to mount a tire to go to the west coast and back, PR4-GT would be my choice. But for fun, the Angels have it.

Disappointing mileage reporting for the Roadtecs! I loved the Angel GTs on my RT and Triumph Trophy, but they don't make a 120/70-19 for my GS, only a 110/80-19. I am hesitant to go to a different size and profile.

Thanks Terry, Bernie! I guess that settles it for me then. I am sure that I will get more than 10k on my present set of PR4GT, and was tossing around whether to try the Roadtec 01 or the Angel GT next. My '15 came with the Z8, and I had changed that out early (had a 4k miles trip ahead, at the time) at 8k with plenty of rubber left, but it's hard to tell with the Z8. The Z8 performs well, and I am reasonably happy with the PR4GT. Noise isn't an issue for me, since I always wear earplugs and can't seem to hear any noises that you guys talk about, but I want performance and longevity, in that order, and so I guess it will be the Angel GT next for me! :)

I have a new RT, and I got a double flat with 2 holes 1/4" apart at 4000 miles. I was uncomfortable plugging them so I replaced the rear. I have 8000 on the bike (and likewise the front). The front is almost to the wear bars, the rear has only 4000 miles. The stock tires are Z8's, and I really like them, I feel stuck to the road, but I do get a lot of road noise. I'm going with 01's next time around, does anyone see a problem with a Z8 on the rear and an 01 on the front?

LittleBriar
does anyone see a problem with a Z8 on the rear and an 01 on the front?

I have a Z8 on the front and 01 on the rear and it works fine.

• 4 weeks later...
RecentConvert

Update on The Roadtec 01. The front tire survives at 7100 miles although it has a flat chicken strip in the center. The rear tire was replaced at 6500 after two flats in a single day. The tire was not worn out and probably had another 1500? miles if not for the punctures.

Rocky trails and a moderately worn 01 don't mix well. First was a simple puncture while climbing a rocky fire road. The second, a 1/2" slice, was fatal to the rear tire. Two huge plug kits and I limped it to a campground and called the tow truck.

Riding a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 in the rear now.

I just replaced a set on the '14 RT. 6 K miles, still about 2 K left. I am going on a trip out west and wanted new tires since trip is about 6 K miles. I have 7800 miles on a set on the XR. Getting close to a change. I have been happy with these tires. Previously I have had PR 4s and Angel GTs. All of them have been good tires. Mileage wise the 01s have been the best. I ride hard and fast so my mileage is somewhat reduced. As has been said before, tires are a personal thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing how much attention to tire miles when you have a 3000 or 4000 mile trip coming up. My 2016 came with Metzler Z8's. I thought they were noisy, but I really felt like I was glued to the road. At 8000 miles I put Angel GT, A spec on the bike. They feel lighter on their feet, but I don't have that grippy feel that the Metzlers had. And I miss that. The Pirelli's are quieter, and the noise of the Metzlers bothered me. If I thought the Metzler 01 was not a noisy tire I would buy them. I am surprised at the low miles some are getting. Either these guys ride a lot harder than me, or on chip seal all the time. I was getting 5k on a rear on my Harley Super Glide. Even the Angel GT's are noisy on chip seal.

I made it to 12k miles on my original Z8's. Rear was down to cords. Front was close enough for replacement and I wanted a matching set. So I replaced this spring.

I have about 5k miles on the 01's. Rear probably has another 4k left. Front is better yet. I ride a lot of chip and seal, some concrete Interstate. But yes, they are noisier than my Z8's were. But on the other hand, I'm hard of hearing and don't wear my aides while riding. So it doesn't bother me.