IGNORED

The Gunnison Crash Revealed

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

And then it went horribly wrong……

A motorcycle accident tale by Francois A. Dumas

This is a long story. If you are easily bored, please skip to the ‘Summary’ at the end.

It is a story I have already written in my mind many, many times. During those many sleepless nights where I lay tossing and turning, trying to analyze why in the world I had made such a mistake after 63 years of being on this earth without any major mishaps.

It needs to be told, it needs to be written down. If not for you, then at least for me, so I can get rid of it and move on.

I want to ride again.

And I want YOU to not make a similar mistake. Ever. Maybe it can help with that.

It was july 23rd, 2016, location; somewhere near Gunnison, Colorado, US of A.

I had looked forward to this moment in time for almost a year, ever since our friend Larry convinced me (and helped us!) to come over to the US to attend the yearly BMW motorcycle meeting of the BMWSportTouring forum. We had planned our own travel ‘around’ it, saved money, spent many days of searching for the best (read: cheapest) airfare tickets (and failed), pestered relatives and friends for dates to stay with them, and spent many days trying to cram all our stuff in just two suitcases.

That’s a ‘Nina thing’, don’t ask.

We had arrived in Salida, CO, at our friend’s home, via a nice flight across the pond, with a 2 days stay at our niece in Florida, a rather cramped flight to Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a subsequent drive by good man Chris Ohlson for the last part into Colorado.

That Friday evening I had sat on Larry’s three KTM’s. He had wanted to give us his big and shining new 1290. But whether it was fatigue or something else, I could not get it off the center stand easily (and I’m no short fella). It was - or at least seemed - bigger than my 1200GS, and somehow I felt it was too imposing on me without some proper ‘training’. So in the end I decided to ride the ‘middle’ KTM, the 990.

Larry warned me that he uses it for off-road riding and hence had turned the ABS off. And moved the gear change lever higher. Since I have never used ABS in the past 12 years on my BMW’s, I wasn’t worried.

Would things have been different the next day if I had made a different choice? Maybe, but we’ll never know.

Would it have happened when riding my OWN BMW? I think not…. But even that isn’t sure.

ktm-intact-XL.jpg

- Here's the last know picture of the KTM in one piece.... this is the parking where we discussed how to provide support to BrianT and David Hanson

As it was we took off Saturday for a ‘short’ ride with only a few participants, heading for the Independence Pass and from there to have lunch in Aspen, where we would meet with Louise and some of the ladies. We were Larry, Ed, Scott and myself I think. I believe it was just little over an hour and a half. (I’ll report on the ride and subsequent car trips in separate posts).

We did reach the Independence Pass as planned, met the ladies (in two cars) there and walked to the vantage point for photos. After 30 minutes or so we left and rode down the pass on the west side (route 82). But when almost at the bottom, Larry got a phone call. A rider (BrianT) sat with his broken down K1300GT somewhere and needed help. With some phone calls and discussions going on Scott and I understood that they were only half an hour from Aspen….. So no big deal to go there and see what could be done. We’d get lunch after that.

As it turned out, it was more like an hour and a half away from our lunch, and that made the ‘little ride’ more than half a day tour….. With some ‘haste’ as we were not touring now, but heading to a ‘rescue’. Amy followed us in a pick-up truck, meant to transport the stricken bike back to Salida once we found it. I think Brian’s bike gave up near Redstone, on the 133. I may be wrong.

map-1-XL.jpg

It was pretty hot that day. Nina and I had been entertaining guests and driving around Italy and Switzerland for the past 7 weeks. We had had only 10 days to return to Holland (another 100 mile trip) and prepare our US trip, then flying over and staying two days in Florida. And then our trip to Salida took another full day, getting up at 4 am that Friday !

In short, and with hindsight, I was pretty tired. The dash for wherever we were going added to that, no doubt. And skipping lunch wasn’t good either. I did get something to drink, and nibbled some cookies I had brought along, but should have eaten more. And, very a-typical for me ‘Navman’ Francois, I had NO IDEA where we were or where we were heading. Although I never travel anywhere without a paper map, one or more GPS’s AND a prepared plan of my route, this time I blindly followed the group up the pass and over and was totally unaware of where we were. I had maps (both paper and on my phone) for Montana, but nor for Colorado. The GPS was mounted on the other KTM, the one Larry had wanted me to ride.

So, again in hindsight, I probably was stressing too much to keep up with the group, afraid of losing my way. Which was dumb, I would have found my way back of course, and I am sure they would have waited had I stayed too far behind. Oh well.

After they loaded the stricken bike onto the bed of the pick-up truck there was some discussion of which way to head back. It was decided to go back via Gunnison, through the mountains, instead of heading all the way back to the highway, Aspen and over Independence (I guess that was the choice).

So we mounted up again and I followed Larry and David Hanson (KTM 1290 and 1200GS?), with Scott on his smaller 800GS and Amy and Brian in the pick-up truck behind me.

We picked up a fair pace,as we had done before, but nothing scary. The roads were totally deserted most of the time, with good surface and plenty of width, nothing like Europe. We were riding toward Gunnison on the 92, heading east.

After some very long and straight stretches (where we DID go pretty fast) the road started climbing and winding, with the big sweeping curves I had now gotten used to. Again, very different from our European mountains and inviting much faster riding too, although there is a speed limit sign at just about every bend.

SV-1-XL.jpg

- I think I saw 93 displayed on my speedometer at this point, but I may have been hallucinating of course.... the heat, you know

I was just thinking that I was doing pretty well and how much I liked the wide turns and good road surface…… when disaster struck a few turns from there. Must have been around 17:00 pm by then. I have had to look back at Google Earth for the proper description… it was somewhat different in my memory, probably because I had been ‘out’ right after the fall….

SV-2-XL.jpg

- this was the sweeper before the sharper left bend up ahead (in the right of the picture)

I saw David round the next right hand sweeper and accelerate on the straight bit following it. Larry was out of sight by then, I had only seen him on some longer stretches, in the distance, and I was following David at some 100 yards.

When I powered out of that bend I looked UP and ahead, and just saw David disappear to the left. I saw his SIDE, so it meant there was a sharper corner coming up apparently. I had just upshifted to 4th and let go of the throttle, and tried to downshift back to third.

Tried is the operative word, because I missed the gear lever. This had happened a few times before already. Larry had warned me the other day that he had moved the lever higher, because of his large boots, but shifting and braking gets pretty ‘automatic’ after many years on the same bike. So I just grabbed the clutch, flipped my foot upwards, in and downwards for the little ‘tick’ needed on the GS or RT.

Nothing happened. I missed the lever.

SV-3-XL.jpg

- the stretch of road just before the left bend.....

map-2-XL.jpg

- that's the bend where it went wrong.......

From that moment on all went very fast, although in my mind I go through it in slow motion ever since.

The slide

I didn’t slow down much.

I had let the clutch out again, but was still in 4th.

Needed to clutch again and RAISE my leg to find the lever.

By that time I had lost some extra yards towards the bend.

I braked harder than usual because of that.

The front end dove down MUCH more than I expected and was used to.

It wobbled.

So I let go of the front brake…. Not even sure I used the rear to be honest. I did with most turns on normal braking, but may not have in the ‘emergency’ mode. I really don’t know.

Because I let go the front came up pretty sharply, while I tried to sift down.

It wobbled some more.

The bend was now really close and I had too much speed for my liking (although I probably didn’t do more than 35 mph).

I grabbed the front brake again and this time the front wheel locked up.

It slid out from under me and I saw the road surface come up to me.

I remember thinking ‘SHIT, NOOOOO’.

The next thing I consciously know is getting back on my feet and looking around. I was looking at the road, so I must have turned. I don’t remember seeing the bike. I then looked where the road was going and my gaze followed it up the mountain. Just where it disappeared around the mountain I saw David’s yellow jacket, and he was stopped. I remember waving frantically… and I saw him moving down the hill, back to where he had come from. Back to me.

I also remember looking down at me left arm and seeing blood.

And I remember thinking “No, this isn’t true. This is not happening to me, to us. Not on my first ride out here…..”.

After that I must have faded in and out. I remember David saying I’d be alright. Asking me for pain.

I remember a pain underneath my left shoulder blade, having difficulty breathing.

And then my vision was going…. Everything turned white. And my memory is blurred.

People were talking. Someone said he’d turn the engine of the KTM off….. Was it still running?? Was that Scott talking with David?

Eddd was there too, at some point. I know I sat on one of the sidecases for a bit.

Then they said to lay down in the shadow.

Larry came back, there were forest rangers and firefighters at the scene.

I remember asking everybody to NOT tell Nina…… I think nobody there agreed. .

SV-4-XL.jpg

- I remember seeing the black skidmark on the road when limping to the shade where I laid down. But I only saw it once and I am not sure about the exact location or length

SV-5-XL.jpg

- The arrow marks the approximate place where I got back on my feet..... not too far from that edge !

SV-6-XL.jpg

- The red arrow shows where I saw David Hanson stopped, looking for me. He never saw me wave....

SV-7-XL.jpg

- At the time I never knew I was so close to the edge. The Streetview photo shows the bush in 2012. Fortunately it grew !

After much analyzing the bits I DO remember, and checking my injuries and the stricken equipment, here is what I ‘think’ happened when the tire lost track….

I know I fell on my left side (left hand turn and front wheel went right).

It happened so fast that I did NOT stretch out my hand or leg to break my fall. So I must have hit the road elbow first, and HEAD following.

I must have lost consciousness immediately upon hitting the road.

That would explain the MAJOR injuries on my RIGHT side.

I think I just flipped over like a rag doll, with no control of my limbs, thus hitting my right leg and hand/arm on the asphalt. I must also have hit the bike with my right shin…. Pretty deep gash in it, still not cured.

In the ‘backflip’ I probably also hurt my back, causing the initial pain in my back, and later the pain in my ribs underneath my left arm. Doc thinks 2 ribs may be broken, but we can't get the photos from Gunnison hospital.

spline-XL.jpg

- My hand, with embedded spline, on Sunday morning. I'll spare you all the road rash piccies !

Summary

In hindsight, quite a few things came together that led to the crash. And some things might have prevented it, or made it less serious.

I was tired, physically and mentally

I was excited for finally arriving and starting to ride

The bike was very different from my GS (or RT)

I didn’t eat or drink much

The ride was much longer than anticipated

We didn’t want to get into the dark

I was not prepared in terms of navigation

I probably did ride a little faster than I would usually do

I reacted wrongly to the unexpected braking behaviour

It also didn’t help that for the first time in my life I was riding in jeans instead of my riding pants, but they didn’t really fit in the suitcase anymore, same as with my riding boots.

My boots would have prevented the gash in my shin, and maybe the sprained ankle too.

The pants would have maybe saved my knees, although I never have the padding in (I will now).

The mesh jacket only protected my elbows, shoulder and back, but not my inside underarm that was totally road-rashed.

My riding gloves tore open and I had two injured hands anyway.

Final tally of injuries/damage:

Left underarm, road rash

Left underarm 2 broken bones

Left ribs, probably 2 broken

Right finger ligaments bruises/sprained

Right pulse strained

Right ankle sprained

Right shin cut and bruised

Both knees bruised and road rash

Right elbow road rash

Larry’s KTM (cases, shield, tupperware, blinker, mirror, roll bars)

Schuberth helmet totalled

Bering summer mesh jacket torn apart

Left shoe damaged

Jeans totalled

Both gloves torn

Wrist watch missing

Glasses damaged (nose bridge)

Phone damaged

Photo camera lense damaged (was in top case)

Here's some photos of the damage....

jeans-XL.jpg

- Ambulance staff cut my trousers open..... I think I need new ones.

shoes-XL.jpg

- I kept wearing these shoes all through our vacation, because my swollen right foot would not fit in my sports shoes !

jacket-XL.jpg

- The jacket did the job, at least partially. That stricken arm there is only the jacket. THAT arm was fine. The other one wasn't. Strangely enough the jacket is not torn at the left arm.

mesh-XL.jpg

- Won't be wearing mesh anymore. Nothing to see, and still most of my skin was gone !

helmet-XL.jpg

- I think my helmet (and head) took the first hit..... it saved my life I think. Note the different directions of the scars there. I must have hit the ground twice !

gloves-XL.jpg

- the right glove was open along the seem... very strange....

ktm-after-XL.jpg

- And finally, here is the damage to the poor KTM !

In terms of equipment I will NOT get another mesh jacket. Just not enough protection, not even with a 30 mph slide.

I need better gloves.

I will not leave without my boots again and will stuff the padding in the knees, even though it doesn’t fit right.

Apart from the above, the major thing I have (re)learned is to ride your own ride. Even though I always say I do, I maybe only THOUGHT I did…….

The good things:

Nina wasn’t with me

It could have been worse

I’ll get on my GS again as soon as my wrist heals

We still got to see a LOT of great landscapes and meet many friends

In closing

This was a trip with many ‘firsts’.

First time in 63 years

I visited Colorado (and some other states for that matter)

We were attending a UNrally

I was riding a KTM

I was riding without boots and riding pants

I had a serious accident

I was unconscious

I rode an ambulance

I was treated in a US hospital

I had a spline

I broke anything

I was without maps or GPS

I lost a watch

We saw bison, elk and (at least me) a grizzly

All people who helped and assisted in the aftermath were FANTASTIC. My fellow riders for sticking with me, the ambulance people, the hospital staff, Louise and Amy, and all our BMWST friends in Red Lodge ! And Nina for not hitting me that same night.

Except, maybe, the one police officer who gave me a fine of $113,50 for falling off my motorbike….. . :dopeslap:

memorial-X2.jpg

Larry's 'Francois Memorial'..... :grin:

Funny thing is that I did at the time NOT understand that I had two broken bones in my arm.... I thought I only had a fissure in one of the bones. So After a few days of agony I dumped the spline.

Only after arriving back home, three weeks later, did I read ALL the papers the hospital in Gunnison had given me..... and read there were two fractures. *cough*

Had new x-rays made here and sure enough..... two fractures near the elbow.... but healing now.....

I also dumped the ankle brace after the first evening.It almost made me fall backwards from the hotel stairs.....

The pain in my ankle started only a week later.....

I am the WORST patient for any doctor.......

Edited by Francois_Dumas

What tremendous insight and honesty, Francois. I read every word. Twice. So much for all of us to absorb and learn. A sincere and deeply felt Thank You for sharing everything in such important detail.

One last thing: Even if Nina kicked your butt after you got back to Italy, you're married to a saint.

Despite your bandages, what a joy to see both of you again.

Great write up. Your story is going to save a lot of lives. Glad you're well and glad you care enough to share the lessons learned with the rest of us.

Sorry for your incident. Heal quickly please. We need your wit and humor to continue on this site. :wave:

Having washed out the front end of my F650 in the not too distant past I find it amazing how fast a bike can go from vertical to horizontal. In my case I was late getting off the brake going into a turn and there was some loose stuff on the road. Fortunately I walked away with only bruises and scrapes and was able to ride the bike home after straightening the handlebars.

Thanks for sharing. I'm truly sorry that your visit was marred by this, but I'm glad your injuries were all fixable. That photo of your helmet tells quite a story, possibly the difference between life and death.

Francois, what an incredible read. I am very happy to hear that you will be ok. As I read your story I made mental notes to myself about lessons learned from your accident. I have never ridden without my helmet. I too have a Schuberth helmet and after looking at your helmet I will continue to never ride without one no matter what speed or distance I ride. Additionally, I will wear boots, pants, jacket and gloves all the time. I for one learned a lesson, that no matter how experienced you are at riding something can always go wrong. Thank you for sharing. I agree with what was said, your story will save lives. Thanks again and heal quickly. Hope to meet you someday.

Steve

Francois, good synopsis and insight. :thumbsup:

Motorcycle accidents are almost always the result of a combination of factors and yours sounds almost like the perfect storm : ) I've done similar a couple times and can tell you precisely what happened and why, it's just too bad we can't go back and change things.

Besides the factors you listed I'll add another, altitude. It takes most people at least a day or two to acclimate to being over 10 or 12k feet (Independence Pass?), some longer. Added to what you were already dealing with it could've had a real effect, most people never even realize it.

Regardless, glad it wasn't worse and you walked away!

Francois_Dumas

Yes, you're right Bill, I forgot about that too. Although we lived in France in the Alps for many years (but only a few months at a time) we are used to mountains (living at altitude and mountain riding). But our place was at 3500 feet.

I was truly amazed at the Colorado (and Montana) mountains. They really don't look like much (sorry!) but they are extremely HIGH compared to ours...... We were at 7800 feet in the valleys I believe.

So yes, that too would have had an influence, I agree.

Thanks for taking the time to share. There is a lot for all of us to learn from your insight/analysis.

I was riding a bit behind the lead group, but arrived on scene moments after the spill. We were fortunate to have a cell signal in such a remote area.

As Francois has clearly pointed out, there were a multitude of factors involved, most of which I hadn't considered but will keep in mind from here on out.

We can also transfer what is learned here to other situations: like riding in desert heat with riders that many not be used to similar conditions or riders that are a bit more uncomfortable in rain/cold/darkness.

There is just something about those Colorado roads that encourage speed. Some of the fastest riding I have ever done, outside of a track, has been on those very roads you were on in Colorado. The big sweepers and great vision just make it seem right.

I am glad you are ok, your write up was great and the fact that you saw that most of this was on you and the choices you made, helped us all learn from your insights. Get well quickly and follow your insights.

Francois - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and for researching and sharing photos and details. Someone said 'perfect storm', and I hope that we can all find something to take away from this. A lot of seemingly small factors came together - ones all of us have experienced to a degree at one time or another - but maybe not all of them together. When riding in a group, the other riders won't know the other circumstances (or compromises) others have already made to make the ride happen. So what may seem small and insignificant in and by itself may just be the thing in combination with everything else, to create a bigger problem.

Riding in a group always has it's compromises - most of which are benign. But there is always a little pressure to go along with the greater plan for the sake of the group and to keep things simple and pleasant. And obviously, circumstances arose that caused for improvisation and changed the whole ride plan. I think as group riders, it's difficult important for us to consider the impact of something that isn't affecting us as much as it might be another group member. For example - maybe food in this instance. Others may have eaten larger and/or later breakfast or whatever and may not personally be challenged by going on - but not realizing that others will be challenged. Add to that the urgency to get to the broken down bike, and a little more compromise seems in order. Not having GPS made it difficult to stop on your own and catch up if need be.

Jerry and I had a similar issue with heat on our CO ride. He struggles with heat and on our third (and hottest) day, I was putting pressure on to keep riding - not realizing how the heat was impacting him. Riding in hot weather has always made him uncomfortable, so it was kind of in one ear and out the other when he said he was hot and wanted to stop. It's damn well good we stopped when we did, as he was weak and wobbly when he got off the bike. So I wasn't listening close enough to what he was saying, despite our riding in the highest temps of the trip.

I think you nailed it when you said 'ride your own ride'. We all say it, but in reality, it's challenging to do in a strict sense. For the most part, when someone in the group picks up the pace to ludicrous speed, we know to back off. But what if the speed is just a bit over what we'd normally ride? Most of us go along and pick it up too - even if for a single uncomfortable corner (or more likely, several) before we come to our senses. But that one corner might be one too many.

I'll throw in one other possible distraction. For me, on CO92 - which EricInIndy and I rode out and back twice, I found some of the non-guardrailed curves distracting - like the one you had your incident with. On that corner, there was no guardrail where you landed (and for a good part of the curve), and I found the lack of guardrail distracting and unnerving.

Glad you're healing up and ready to ride again! You're getting a well deserved rest from a very busy summer! That was a scary off and a scary place to have one.

Safe travels back home.

Edited by workin them angels
Francois_Dumas

Small and twisting high mountain roads without guardrails are in my blood..... so no problem there. But the telelever and linked brakes are definitely a 'bad habit' after 12 years :-(

Will need to re-train on using my rear brake myself......

russell_bynum

That's a good, and very honest report.

I came to the same conclusions about gear after seeing how the mesh stuff (doesn't) hold up in crashes. Of course...if you're not used to the heat, then normal gear can get you overheated fairly quickly, and that brings its own problems. Boots are good, but I did manage to break my ankle in that dualsport crash in Torrey despite wearing big heavy Motocross boots which have far more protection than the sport touring boots that most of us wear on the street. My guess is you'd probably still have the sprained ankle. Just a guess, of course.

I've had the "ride was much longer than expected and now I'm so hungry I can't see straight" problem before...so I now carry a couple of powerbars with me. They take up very little space and can make a big difference.

Unfamiliarity with the bike...this is a big one. I've always enjoyed riding different bikes, but stuff like this is always a concern.

Worrying about being left behind: Was there a conversation with the other riders about keeping the group together, waiting for each other, etc? I remember leading a ride once and Jamie was following me on his (then) new R1150RT. I just rode whatever speed I wanted to go and assumed that since he was still in my mirrors, all was well. I hadn't really led rides before and the ride leaders had always slowed down/waited if people fell behind, so that was my plan as well. But because I didn't share that plan, Jamie (who didn't really know the route, if memory serves) felt pressured to keep up and it apparently made him pretty uncomfortable. He thought he had to keep up or I'd leave him behind. I thought if he was uncomfortable he'd slow down...and I'd slow down to keep him in my mirrors. In the end, it all turned out OK, but a simple 2-minute pre-ride briefing to cover that sort of thing would have avoided the whole situation.

As with most accidents, it sounds like you had a whole string of events that led to the crash. I think you did a great job identifying those events and thinking about how to stay upright in the future.

BTW, I "crashed" (the bike was almost stopped when it finally fell over) on 92 between Crawford and Gunnison. I was wearing a camelbak hydration pack and realized that the belt/strap for it wasn't buckled. My plan was to whip into a turnout, brake hard to a stop, buckle the camelbak, and then pull back out to stay with the group.

I was so focused on the group and that stupid buckle that I didn't even see the gravel (which was clearly visible) in the turnout. Front locked and tucked, I released the brake, bike threw me up in the air a bit, I came down with my feet off the pegs and got back on the brakes but ran out of road just before I got it stopped. ABS would have prevented that...but so would keeping my attention on the task at hand instead of worrying about the group.

And don't worry about the KTM...the look better all beat up anyway. :thumbsup:

Francois_Dumas

Hahaha ! Thanks for that last remark, Russell :-)

And for the rest, of course. All responses appreciated ! I hope my story, and those of the others in this tgread, may someday help somebody stay upright!

Francois, I read your Gunnison dissertation word-for-word with rapt attention. We both experienced life threatening issues this year, and although there is much of the riding year left and more, we both learned some valuable lessons here, mainly I believe, is how all the little events can culminate in a major finale.

Geri and I are so thankful you will recover (fully??) and ride again. I was a little surprised your instinct for using your rear brake was not working. As you know, I ride a big heavy touring bike so whenever I am going into a corner like that my instinct is to apply some rear brake first as I don't know how much solid pavement has been jeopardized with loose gravel, and especially if I see a turnout adjacent to the curve. Just my way of judging this situation, but then all the other factors mixed with your situation was overwhelming. Hell of a drop off there by the way, from the looks of it... Whew!!!!

We are glad we were able to finally meet face-to-face with you both this year, and spend some moments together. Maybe again someday soon?

Hopefully most of the memories you keep about this adventure are pleasant ones and your cherish forever...

Rubber down!

Don & Geri

Francois_Dumas

Hi Don !

Too many years used to linked brakes I guess....... won't happen again !

Great meeting you and Geri too. We'd have talked more and met longer had we been riding... and home earlier ! Next time !!! We still enjoyed it greatly !!

Yes, well I have learned that when riding with Whip it is best to carry some supplies, start out well rested, and be prepared for anything. Easier said than done, of course.

Glad you are on the mend. I was dissapointed that we didn't get to see more of you, and get a ride in together.

I love that road, 92, but it is certainly demanding.

Best wishes as you get back on the road.

Francois, sorry to hear of your American experience going awry and I wish you a fast recovery! :thumbsup: One thing, your mind must be good as ever to recall and document your accident in such detail.

As an aging rider myself with lots of years under my belt I ride my best now when things are right and find it in my best interest to ease off when things like you mentioned-heat, lack of food/drink or rest come into the equation. I think my Canadian friends have it right when they say "Let the Ride Decide!" And finally I too find a crashed KTM looking a bit 'Mad Max' appealing! :grin:

Francois, I was glad to meet you and Nina in Red Lodge and hope you are healing quickly. Check with Schubert about replacement help. Seems I've read they help replace your helmet if it's damaged in a crash. Wouldn't hurt to check it out just in case. Best Regards.

"According to Schuberth's 1/3 cost crash replacement with an accompanying police report"

Edited by gottago

Thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us your experience. :thumbsup: Your honest evaluation is a reminder to the rest of us to be self aware when riding.

Obviously your helmet saved your life. Imagine what would have happened if your skull/face absorbed that impact.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward to more ride reports when you are able to get back on your bike. :wave:

Edited by Bud

I blame Whip.

He is a dangerous man, and must be stopped. Mrs. Whip should thrash him for hurting a treasured visitor.

Did you get a BLT when you were in Salida? That is about the only thing RogerM ever talks about when he talks about Salida, The UN, or Torrey.

Glad you're 'okay'. Kiss Nina for me.

Francois_Dumas

Many many thanks everybody for your kind replies and often valuable additions to my story. Really appreciate it.

Also glad I am not ousted from this group yet for making such a mess of things :-)

I blame Whip.

Whip blames himself.

Before you go all "ride your own ride" BS.

I could have and should have controlled our speed therefore insuring our safety which would have been easy for me to do.

No reason to screw around like I did.

L

Edited by Whip

No blame, just lessons.

Seem to be learned, so that's good.

Glad you're healing and getting ready to ride again.

Like Russell said, unfamiliar bike is an issue.

Being tired, altitude, dehydrated, barn sour, all contribute.

Been guilty of too fast when leading folks ( I know, hard to believe) and it is one reason I slowed way way down and rarely rode with others the past several years.

When selling bikes there were some with background and familiarity that allowed them to immedaitely ride the new bike.

Others needed time to acquaint themself with the new beast. I'd often take them to the parking lot of a nearby college where basic practice with shifting/braking/signals/stopping/foot down etc helped build a skill set. Little things like lever angles/pedal spaces/shift room all can contribute as you so honestly pointed out.

Lots to take away.

Thanks, worthy contribution.

Best to you and Miss Nina,

I blame Whip.

Whip blames himself.

My brother blamed himself somewhat a few years back when I crashed racing dirt bikes. He thought he may have influenced me in getting back into the sport. I can say with one hundred percent certainty that I wanted to be there and my screw up was my screw up.

I'm pretty sure Francois feels the same way about his incident and wouldn't want you second guessing yourself.

Hey, I have an idea, blame Bill! ;):rofl:

Pat

Ahhhh....

Group riding. Where do we start?

I'm not the fastest rider out there. I don't try to be. I save that for solo riding. I've got nothing to prove to others. In a group, do I make sure that riders with lesser ability and skills understand that it isn't about "keeping up"? Usually. But sometimes in a group such as ours it goes unsaid. "Ride your own ride". We've all heard it. Do we practice it?

Good on you both for getting this out in the open. Indeed, a great site with good folks.

MB>

Francois_Dumas

And just for the record: I don't blame Whip one bit. Did it myself.... won't do it again :-)

Oh look, new gremlins..... :beer:

Edited by Francois_Dumas

Thanks so much for posting the "whole story". Could have happened to me, almost happened to a friend a number of years ago.

For those who haven't done that stretch of CO92 from Crawford to Blue Mesa Reservoir it is pretty mesmerizing. Long straights and slow sweepers in usually pretty warm conditions before a sudden start to tight turns in the gullies leading down into the Gunnison River Canyon. The first time I rode it a friend was following and I noticed suddenly losing sight of him when we got to that last few miles before the Blue Mesa Reservoir. Turns out he had carried more speed than planned in one of those first few tight corners and needed to stop to collect his thoughts and refocus.

Hope everything heals quickly and repairs are made before the snow flies ;)

Mike Cassidy

Well, lots of feelings about this incident for me.

First very good description and research to find the location on the map and all.

Couple of things, I was riding KTM 1190 Adventure, Scott was on the G650GS I believe and the broken bike was a K1200GT (broke wire to EWS).

My bike (KTM 1190) has software linked ABS brakes plus Cornering-ABS. I very seldom use the rear brake, and never at speed (just too busy).

Being the rider immediately in front of you I feel I was most responsible for your speed into the corners. I was watching you in the mirrors as I always do (usually with my wife following) and you were smooth and holding good lines through the corners, I kept increasing speed. I am very sorry I made that decision (to increase speed).

I have basically 2 modes when riding mountains. First mode fast and smooth as I can be without using brakes. 2nd mode is accelerate hard through gears between corners and slam on the brakes in order to make the turn.

I was in the second mode for last 2 corners (very busy to say the least). My habit is to check following rider when I enter a corner by looking in my inside bottom mirror, you were not there as I made that next turn to the right.

I immediately slowed then stopped and turned around at first opportunity.

You were standing and looking shaken when I arrived. I circled you to check for major injuries, then you started to report being dizzy and not able to see, I grabbed you around the waist and I believed Ed arrived about this time and we both grabbed you and sat you down on the bike's right side pannier on the bike. Ed checked for cell coverage.

Really glad you are recovering and able to finish the trip to the UN albeit crippled.

I know mesh is not good protection, but it is hard to dump for full leather.

Francois_Dumas

Hi David !!!

Thanks for the additional info and your thoughts.

Same as for Larry... don't feel bad. It was basically my own doing..... and even I don't feel really 'guilty'.... just miffed on how these things can happen in spite of being careful (or at least thinking one is being careful).

For what it's worth, Nina and I enjoyed the rest of the trip, even if it was a tad uncomfortable at times. We saw many new things and met new and old friends !

We'll be back one day :-)