IGNORED

Question from an 12RT owner

Overbyte

I have found a listing for:

"2008 BMW K1200LT Loaded (needs repair)", offered well below low book.

"The ABS light is on, and it seems there is a brake failure causing some issue to drive. This bike needs to be checked by a BMW tech, we have heard many things can cause this issue. The bike can be ridden, however brakes are very touchy."

My question is, what is the worst case scenario cost wise?

Should I get involved?

Thanks in advance.

Overbyte

Dennis Andress

I lost track of changes to the K1200 LT in its later years. Where BMW stopped using EVO, servo assisted, brakes in 2007, "touchy brakes" sounds like this bike still has them. That's not a bad thing, EVO brakes had some pretty cool features. Working them on the other hand is a PITA.

There are lots of reasons for a ABS light to stay on. A good plan would be to have the bike diagnosed before you buy.

The biggest and most expensive part of the system would set you back more than $2500. A common fix is to swap the brain from a used controller. And, there is a company in Oregon who's name escapes me that can rebuild some models of BMW ABS controllers.

Would you post the listing? (I don't want an LT, there's not enough room in the garage.)

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

I am guessing the seller know what is wrong with the bike and has it priced so it about a wash if you fixed it, if there are no other problems.

This bike is an 08 if its like my 08 RT, it doesn't have wheezy brakes.

I don't need and other motorcycle either, but I am allways looking ;-).

All I know about the K bikes is they sound cool.

Here is the link: http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcd/5723835562.html

Afternoon Overbyte

The BMW (L)ight (T)ruck --BMW K1200LT 05-09 kept the I-ABS (wizzy) brakes. That is what gives it that grabby feel that you mentioned.

I've had several Beemers with wizzy brakes and now own a '03 1150 with them. I never minded them, but also never had a failure. They really do grab hard. Bottom line, they work.

One positive aspect of whizzy brakes is that it only takes a light touch, either by foot or hand to hold the bike stopped on a hill. Of course, the volume level goes up too.

Thanks DR, I wondered what LT stood for ;-)

After consideration I think I will pass on the K bike.

Lots of issues, the LT part is a major one.

My R1200RT is running just fine, but I am always looking for bigger, better faster...