IGNORED

Bill Mayer Saddles Review

moshe_levy

Hello All-

My new video review focuses on Bill Mayer Saddles, as I tested for BMW Owner's News and Rider magazines. Please let me know what you think....

-MKL

I've never heard anyone complain about either Russell or BMS (both were designed by the same guy, after all!)

For me Russell is very comfy but the "wings" force me to tip-toe at stoplights, while with a BMS I maintain my "low" seat height.

-MKL

Wings on the Russell make is a no go for me. Footing related - on my 06, the wings gave me very little room for maneuvering the feet between the wings and the lower part of the lower faring. Gravel, oil on the road or pushing to back up, there just isn't enough space between those two restrictions for me.

Still sitting on the self in the garage. Love my Sargent.

That is one of my major concerns about getting a Russell. I am only 5'8" and thus, I am unable to flat foot the bike. I wear a thick soled leather boot (EMS work/duty boots from Haix) when on the road. I can use approx 1/2 of my feet to "back" the bike up. My seat is on the lowest setting....it is still a lot easier to get around than my old 1150 RT.

Anyone else on the "shorter" end of the spectrum work well with BMS and or Russell?

I'm 5-8 and have a BMS on my 2013. When I had it made, I asked him to make it 1/2 lower which helps. When on the road, I like my seat in the high position for more leg room, but use the low for day rides where I might run into more stop and go situations. At 30000 miles, I switched to Wilbers that were lowered 18mm.

If you watch my vid, I show how the BMS on the old Hexhead lowered the seat height almost 2" - a link to the article that was from is in there as well. On the new RT, I just had them replicate "low" seat height from the factory, and I'm flatfooting at 5'8" 30" inseam.

-MKL

I won't know for a while if I've made the right decision, but the fact that the RDL increases seating height a bit is actually good for me. Unlike those of you who spend your lives closer to ground level, the seating position of the stock RT is just a little too low for me, even in the high position. With a 34" inseam, my knees are bent just a little too much for all-day comfort.

Nice review, Moshe. Keep up the good work!

I've never heard anyone complain about either Russell or BMS (both were designed by the same guy, after all!)

For me Russell is very comfy but the "wings" force me to tip-toe at stoplights, while with a BMS I maintain my "low" seat height.

-MKL

BMS has a well established reputation (many happy customers) and I don't dispute that, but I personally had a failed experience doing a ride-in at the Ventura shop. The followup was also not satisfactory. Saddles are a very individual thing that don't translate perfectly between various riders. One thing I know for sure, you can have an unsatisfactory experience with BMS. My "mail-in" Russell works great as did my previous Corbins and Sargents.

We are lucky to have so many choices.

You are right Moshe, you said that a few times. I forgot to thank you for the great review. I loved the one on the Motoport jacket. My initial comment(s) were supposed to more of a crack at myself and to say you brought up a lot of great points that I had not thought of.

Thanks so much for the honest reviews and the follow up reviews you do. It helps us with very limited budgets for gear and equipment to get the best bang for our buck.

Mike