IGNORED

Metzeler noise?

indy

Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone running Metzeler's notices loud tire noise?

I'm running a fairly new set, Z8 in the rear and a Z6 up front and

man they seem noisy!! Sounds like one is out of round.

Not as bad as a construction contractor 4x4 with ancient bald mudders, but close.

Indy

Morning Indy

How many miles on the tires? It sort of sounds like you have tire feathering or cupping going on.

Run your hand over the tire treads & see if you can feel any cupping or feathering.

Morning Indy

How many miles on the tires? It sort of sounds like you have tire feathering or cupping going on.

Run your hand over the tire treads & see if you can feel any cupping or feathering.

Morning dr,

Miles? Not sure but probably a couple k. Both tires look fine. Nice even wear and no sign of squaring off (for once).

I can't feel any cupping. Not sure what feathering looks/feels like but they both look good.

Thanks

Indy

Does the noise increase/change as you lean the bike off center?

What tire pressure are you running?

For your next set, consider Michelin Pilot 4's. 15k on my current set and they're cupped a little but zero noise compared to new.

I'm a huge Michelin fan, obviously.

RPG

A few years ago, I experienced horrible howling from a Michelin PR3 front, starting at 55 mph. Replaced it with a PR2, and when it wore out, another PR3, which is still very quiet at ~3000 miles. I have no idea why there would be a difference, but it seems to be there.

I don't remember what PSI I used for the first PR3, but I'm running 39/41 for the current. All tires start howling when they wear, some sooner than others. Higher PSI — from the start — seems to reduce the problem.

Indy, Just a curiosity question. Why a Z6 up front and Z8 on the rear? Why not a pair of 6s or 8s. I just put Z8s on the front and rear of my R1100RT. Now, I'm a little deaf and wear Arizona Al ear plugs, but all I hear is wind noise.

Indy, Just a curiosity question. Why a Z6 up front and Z8 on the rear? Why not a pair of 6s or 8s. I just put Z8s on the front and rear of my R1100RT. Now, I'm a little deaf and wear Arizona Al ear plugs, but all I hear is wind noise.

I had Z8's on both but got a gigantic screw in the front. The shop was out of Z8's but had a Z6 and I needed a tire then and there.

I like the grip of the Z6 better.

And, yes the noise is worse when carving the corners.

Both tires look and feel fine. Running 36 psi up front, 38 psi on the rear.

The noise is so bad I wonder if anyone near me can hear it

(maybe I'm more sensitive to it now that I really hear it- Chinese tire torture)

Indy

I also am a big Michelin fan, both cars and bikes. I am also disappointed with the PR3 front on my rig. My front tire is very noisy. My front tire is siped and I thought the sipe was causing the problem as the rear PR3 is not siped and no noise seems to come from the rear, only the front I thought it was just me, but after reading this I find that it is not just me. I was starting to question the Michelin quality for bike tires.

I can say two good things though, I am getting outstanding wear out of them, and they handle great and don't scare me in the corners, but the front is indeed noisy.

Edited by SAS