IGNORED

leaky injectors, maybe

kalali

My 1999 takes a couple of tries to start and remain running, even with the fast idle engaged. Once it catches on and runs for a few seconds, it runs perfectly normal all day. This happens only after the bike sits overnight or all day. The smell of gas makes me think I have some gas trapped in the engine at start up but am not completely sure. I've cleaned the BBS and the intake tract to the best of my abilities. The bike only has 17500 miles. Is there an easy way to rule out (or in) leaky injectors? What else should I look for? Thanks as always for your expert input.

Morning Kalali

You can sort of rule out leaking (seeping) injectors by shutting the engine down by removing the fuel pump relay. That will allow the running engine to use up most of the pressurized fuel that remains in the fuel injector area. (after engine stop, THEN turn off key & remove it)

You might also try another test-- after your last ride for the day try opening the gas cap & leaving it slightly open overnight (that will take the positive pressure off of the fuel in the tank & also keep the fuel tank fuel area from going to negative pressure overnight. If this helps then look for a plugging tank vent or plugging evap can (if your bike has an evap can)

Added: If your bike has had the CCP removed you might try reinstalling that as I have seen a few 1100 (MA-2) systems start/stall with no CCP in place & no idle trim pot. installed.

Edited by dirtrider
My 1999 takes a couple of tries to start and remain running, even with the fast idle engaged. Once it catches on and runs for a few seconds, it runs perfectly normal all day. This happens only after the bike sits overnight or all day. The smell of gas makes me think I have some gas trapped in the engine at start up but am not completely sure. I've cleaned the BBS and the intake tract to the best of my abilities. The bike only has 17500 miles. Is there an easy way to rule out (or in) leaky injectors? What else should I look for? Thanks as always for your expert input.

Your symptom can also occur with:

A weak battery

A weak coil

Plugs that need to be replaced

An alternator that doesn't start quickly, it should be charging immediately after starting. Check the annunciator light.

The result of any of the above can be misfiring, hence the smell of fuel.

Thank you. The bike has the original CCP but I did remove the charcoal canister since it was indeed causing some slight vacuum in the gas tank. I like the fuel relay removal suggestion but need to figure out a way to do it since it (obviously) requires the seat to be removed while the bike is running. I suppose I could do it with the bike on center stand. Thanks again.