IGNORED

At the side of the road :(

Alba

Glourious morning today enjoying the ride into work on dry roads. What's that feeling very unusual, gets off to take a look... Oil all over back tyre.

Guess what my next learning objective is.

Any how to links grateful received.

Morning Alba

First off, what BMW model & year are you working on, is it your 1150RT?

Next, is the oil coming from the final drive seal or the engine oil sight glass area?

Thanks Fil, brilliant write up with loads of photos the way i like/ need it.

dirtrider its an 1150RT '02, with 44,707 miles on the clock. The oil is coming from the final drive when I take the 'rubber boot off' no running oil. Turning the rear wheel it sounds 'ruff'

BFish no recent maintenance she has been running sweet.

Edited by Alba

If it's the big bearing it's not a difficult job at all. You will read elsewhere about getting it shimmed, but with your mileage I see no need.

If it's just the big bearing then jump to post 10 on the link. There is no real need to remove the final drive from the bike unless you want to check and grease the pivot bearings.

Edited by Fil

dirtrider its an 1150RT '02, with 44,707 miles on the clock. The oil is coming from the final drive when I take the 'rubber boot off' no running oil. Turning the rear wheel it sounds 'ruff'

Evening Alba

Then it does sound like the spool oil seal & probably the crown bearing.

If you haven't ridden it very far with a trashed crown bearing then you probably won't need the tapered bearing on the other end of the spool.

You can install a new crown bearing & oil seal without removing the entire final drive from the bike (just removing the rear wheel, brake caliper, & final drive side cover).

I will strongly suggest that your do re-shim (or at least check) the crown bearing preload as bearings do vary a bit so you never know what pre-load is that you will end up with.

If your bearing is torn up pretty bad then you will have to get in there & get all the old metallic junk out of the pinion bearing area.