IGNORED

camhead won"t crank over

Wayne Johnson

Wayne Johnson

Have a 2011 r1200rt Occasionally if it sits for a day or so it will not crank over. There is no draw on the battery. It may not crank for days then all of the sudden it's fine? Once it starts it will start repeatedly on the road as long as it doesn't sit too long. The handlebar switches have not been in for the recall yet. Any one run into this?

Have a 2011 r1200rt Occasionally if it sits for a day or so it will not crank over. There is no draw on the battery. It may not crank for days then all of the sudden it's fine? Once it starts it will start repeatedly on the road as long as it doesn't sit too long. The handlebar switches have not been in for the recall yet. Any one run into this?

Morning Wayne

Does it even try to crank or nothing at all?

When you turn the key on does the dash come alive & go through it's boot up sequence?

Don_Eilenberger
Dash comes up but nothing happens when start is pushed. It has a times been a delayed start up to 5 seconds
I normally don't suggest immediate parts replacement to test for a failure - but in this case - I'd suggest replacing the starter relay.

What looks like a honking big relay under the seat (the only one on the bike from the factory) is actually a common Bosch type relay inside a honking big box. If you take the cover off - then unplug the relay and wander down to a store pro-auto-mechanics go to - like a NAPA store - and hand it to them, chances are excellent that they can match it up to a $5 replacement unit.

I forget exactly which relay replaces it - but if pressed could probably look it up or call a friend. The NAPA store is probably the simplest answer.

If that doesn't work - then it's time to drag out the voltmeter and see if the relay socket is getting a trigger signal, and if the 12V is getting to the starter from the battery, and some other testing that might be worth doing.. but in this case - give it a try and let us know if it worked or not.

Dash comes up but nothing happens when start is pushed. It has a times been a delayed start up to 5 seconds

Morning Wane

It does sort of point to a failing handlebar switch but that isn't a definite.

If the no-start is happening more after sitting in the hot sun than when in the shade, or cold, that again points towards a failing handlebar switch.

(IF) it is a failing handlebar switch then sometimes you can get them to start by pouring an iced cold bottle of water on the R/H handlebar switch.

Personally I would get the switch's replaced under warranty first then see where you are at starting wise.

• 1 month later...
Wayne Johnson

Sorry for the delay (password issues and life) for this old geezer. Problem seems to be resolved after switch change

Glad you got it resolved. The switches have been giving many owners problems for a while. Good thing BMW finally realized their problem.

I went through three sets. Once for failure and twice for recall or campaign or whatever they want to refer it too. So far the latest are good.