IGNORED

Now I'm paranoid

made2care

I am still learning the ins and outs of this bike. Just finished watching a video on the Hall sensor. My bike is almost at 60,000 miles and I'm planning a trip.

Should I get this replaced. There is some discrepancy in terms of setting the timing during this replacement, is that necessary?

Not to sound too critical but why did engineers not wrap the wiring in heat resistant material or did they and its just a matter of time until the wires are compromised.

Should I be concerned? Anyone out there never replaced theirs and have high mileage?

I understand you have an '04 1150RT. The hall sensor failures are more prevalent in the earlier 1100's. I wouldn't worry about it.

Very little to be concerned about. My '04 RT has about 90k and I've checked the HES sensor harness a few times over the years and it's in perfect shape. The issue was with earlier 1100's as stated.

Ride and enjoy. the '04 1150's were among the best that BMW made.

Set the timing? Should I use my dwell meter? :)

RPG

I've got over 173k on my 04 RT now with the original hall sensor. Never had a problem with it. I worry about more about if my tires will last for this trip then anything else.

Well this is good to know.

Thanks, now I have peace of mind and am ready for a trip.

I changed the oil , anything else i should do before the trip. New battery has helped on start ups. Tires are Michelin and in good shape.

Not to sound too critical but why did engineers not wrap the wiring in heat resistant material or did they and its just a matter of time until the wires are compromised.

Because the time period this bike was designed corresponded with new Euro regulations that automotive wiring harnesses be biodegradable. Oilhead are ticking time bombs in this regard. The next generation bikes have CanBus.

Edited by lkchris

Because the time period this bike was designed corresponded with new Euro regulations that automotive wiring harnesses be biodegradable. Oilhead are ticking time bombs in this regard. The next generation bikes have CanBus.

Reminds me of these lyrics. "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry" :cry::grin:

Pat

Bro, I bought my 02 with 166k,I read and learned what 's what mostly on this forum.

My advice, ignore the paranoia and ride it like you stole it! Finally Parted the old girl and still have a fine boxer eng on my shop floor with 213k. Just ride, and do the normal maintenance.

Bro, I bought my 02 with 166k,I read and learned what 's what mostly on this forum.

My advice, ignore the paranoia and ride it like you stole it! Finally Parted the old girl and still have a fine boxer eng on my shop floor with 213k. Just ride, and do the normal maintenance.

Amen to that brother!! I'm hitting the road !! Might change final drive and gear oil. forgot about those but then, I'm outa here !! This is my very first beemer, so I'm pumped !!

I am still learning the ins and outs of this bike. Just finished watching a video on the Hall sensor.

Morning made2care

Really pay attention to what you read on-line.

There are significant differences between the BMW 1100 & the BMW 1150 when it comes to electronics & parts failures.

Same with early vs late BMW 1150RT's, there were some changes when BMW went to dual spark cylinder heads.

Just make sure that what you read on-line pertains to YOUR exact model & year BMW.