IGNORED

Fuel leak 2002 1150RT after sitting idle a few months

vatzman23

I am not able to ride my 2002 R1150RT for the last 9 months due to a leg injury and have been starting it and running it once a month. Last time I did that, when I came back to turn it off there was a small puddle of gas on the floor and a steady drip so I immediately turned it off naturally. I have the left fairing off and am about to restart it to see if I can determine the source. An acquaintance mentioned it might be the common fuel line connector, but I couldn't find a reference to that in the Clymer's manual I have. In the meanwhile if anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

It might be those fuel disconnects. You're going to need to take off the right siding fairing. You'll see the two quick disconnects just below the tank on that side.

Afternoon vatzman23

As a rule the leak is the little "O" inside the fuel line quick disconnect (on right hand side just under rear edge of fuel tank rear).

If it isn't the "O" ring inside the quick disconnect then the next usual place is a cracked plastic quick disconnect.

On a fuel leak that shows up after the bike sits, then starting, it is usually the "O" ring inside the quick disconnect.

Just a caution: when disconnecting or re-connecting those quick disconnects be sure to hold the release trigger all-the-way-in throughout the entire pull apart or push together. If you don't do this then you risk nicking the internal "O" ring & causing a leak.

Update: this is manifest of the second and third chapters in the story of my life. I took off the other fairing and by then the battery was charged. I started her up and no leak anywhere. I did kind of give the 2 quick disconnects a slight spin to reseat the o-rings beforehand. Strangely to me, there was no evidence of gas flowing down any surfaces. Oh well. I will run it a few more times before I put the fairings back. Thanks again!

Update: this is manifest of the second and third chapters in the story of my life. I took off the other fairing and by then the battery was charged. I started her up and no leak anywhere. I did kind of give the 2 quick disconnects a slight spin to reseat the o-rings beforehand. Strangely to me, there was no evidence of gas flowing down any surfaces. Oh well. I will run it a few more times before I put the fairings back.

Morning vatzman23

That is pretty typical of leaking "O" rings. Once the system pressurizes the "O" rings seal & will stay sealed until the bike sits for a while.

Once the bike sits without starting for a while the pressure in the fuel system goes to a slight negative pressure (vacuum) & THAT unseats the stiff "O" rings so they leak at next key-on.

While you are already in there, "personally", I would replace the quick disconnect "O" rings as your fuel leak can come back after the bike sits for while again.

The bad part is: once the "O" rings start leaking they can leak all on their own after a cold spell of sitting. When the air temperature warms up a little that can put just enough pressure in the fuel tank to cause the fuel to leak out onto your garage floor even when you are not home (this can be a dangerous situation)

• 1 year later...

I had this very thing happen to me this morning after my RT sat for about a month. Seems odd though as this problem hasn't been present in a long time specifically after I switched out the factory QD'as with the good stuff from Beemer Boneyard. I searched my stash of parts, etc., and came across a spare set of O rings. Now, is this a special manner in which these little boogers are to be installed, i.e., what do I need to watch/look out for/not f*ck up??

Out of curiosity, is it possible that the tank vent is plugged somehow. I can see the QD's being switched for good ones or new O rings , while renewing the tank plumbing stuff. I thought there was a small vent in all gas tanks to prevent pressure problems like this?? Maybe a valve or filtered restriction tube that controls venting to prevent pressure build up?? Maybe that's old time stuff, but a vent seems a natural thing.

Out of curiosity, is it possible that the tank vent is plugged somehow. I can see the QD's being switched for good ones or new O rings , while renewing the tank plumbing stuff. I thought there was a small vent in all gas tanks to prevent pressure problems like this?? Maybe a valve or filtered restriction tube that controls venting to prevent pressure build up?? Maybe that's old time stuff, but a vent seems a natural thing.

Afternoon Cal'sgone

Yes, the tank is vented-- Either directly to atmosphere behind the rider R/H foot peg or through the emission evap can on rear of bike then to behind riders R/H foot peg..

But, a tank venting problem shouldn't cause a tank or line fuel leak. With a plugged tank vent the usual problem after riding is NOT a tank pressure build up

but a tank internal vacuum (actually sucks tank sides in).