IGNORED

Fork oil r&r?

indy

My '02 RT just started leaking oil on the right side fork, @ 102K miles.

Reading thru the archives I see DirtRider suggest cleaning the mess and then lubing with some transmission seal conditioner.

My plan is to try that but I'm prepared to replace the seal if that doesn't work.

I saw a on-line vid which says not to worry abot r&r'ing the fork oil since there's nothing in there.

I don't know if I can believe that. I'm curious what this forums 0.02's is. Fork oil is of circa 2002 vintage

Tia

Indy

p.s- giving some serious thought to picking up a K1600gtl but keeping the RT

My '02 RT just started leaking oil on the right side fork, @ 102K miles.

Reading thru the archives I see DirtRider suggest cleaning the mess and then lubing with some transmission seal conditioner.

My plan is to try that but I'm prepared to replace the seal if that doesn't work.

I saw a on-line vid which says not to worry abot r&r'ing the fork oil since there's nothing in there.

I don't know if I can believe that. I'm curious what this forums 0.02's is. Fork oil is of circa 2002 vintage

Tia

Afternoon Indy

There is nothing in the forks like dampening or valving BUT there are sliding bushings that do require lubrication so you DO need to have something in the forks to lubricate the inside moving parts.

Just about any fork oil or even ATF will work in the forks to keep them lubricated.

One of my seals went on my 03 RT @ 80k or so.

When I changed the seals, I also drained the old oil out of my fork tubes & was surprised how much sentiment was in the oil/bottom of the tubes.

• 1 month later...

Eric, I have a 2002 R1150RT with only about 25,000 miles. The left fork is leaking. Is there any link to a procedure to repair it? I have the side fairings off as I was looking for a fuel leak and figured while it is open maybe try to tackle that. Thanks.

Roger

Eric, I have a 2002 R1150RT with only about 25,000 miles. The left fork is leaking. Is there any link to a procedure to repair it? I have the side fairings off as I was looking for a fuel leak and figured while it is open maybe try to tackle that. Thanks.

Roger

This used to have illustrations, but the links have gone bad: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/97873-Fork-seal-fitting

I was prepared to change the seals when the left seal on my 1999 RT started leaking at ~65,000 miles, but I cleaned and flushed, then used a mix of 10 wt fork oil and some ATF sealer. This cured the leak, and at 123,000 miles, there is still no sign of a leak. I didn't even have to remove the body work. As Eric reports, a lot of crap came out of the sliders.

Edited by Selden

Roger

I may be a tad late for a reply.

FWIW, I followed DR's fix of using trans seal conditioner on the seals.

After cleaning the tubes and the dust seals really good, then using the conditioner the leak is gone.

Only issue I had was I couldn't get enough torque on the bolt on top of the tube to break it loose. I picked up a air impact wrench and that is the cats meow!

A belated thanks and big thumbs up to the distinguished DR emeritus.

Indy