IGNORED

Which Oilhead RT, 1996, 1999, or 2004??

DougMcK

Hello,

I already have a 1999 R1100GS, and I'm contemplating getting an RT. I don't want to spend too much for this experiment and there are a few local options that might make sense...

1996, immaculate, 50k miles, about $2.8K

1996, nice, 30k miles, alternately flashing ABS lights, about $3k

1999, a few scratches, 50k miles, about $2.8k

2004, (1150) few minor scratches, 50k miles. Has had final drive replaced with a used unit. about $4.5k

Is the '99 gearbox more robust than the '96? Also, are the throttle bodies more easily synced?

The 2004 is significantly more, but if it's a much better bike, then I might entertain it. I am a little worried in case the final drive that is now in there fails, but I've no reason to think that's the case.

I haven't yet traveled to see any of these in person, or ride them yet. All have panniers. None have obvious extra accessories...

I'm leaning towards the '99, or just maybe the '04...

Comments?

Thanks very much

Doug

Evening DougMcK

Tough call for sure-

All things being equal the 2004 dual spark 6 speed 1150RT is the best bike of the bunch in my personal opinion.

The 96 came with a single throttle cable (no Bowden box) & an "O" ring early type transmission so those are debatable for concern.

I never had an issue balancing the TB's on the 96 but it takes a good knowledge of the single cable system & compromise.

The 99 could have a better trans but that isn't a given by any means.

The 2004 for reasons that DR said. I'd also add that the 2004's other parts may be in better shape than the others due to being not as old. (rubbers, plastics, cables, switches, wiring, etc.) But, of course, you really need to evaluate each bike in person. One of the older ones might just blow you away.

(I know you say it's an experiment, but- all bikes being equally good-- I vote for the 2004 should you decide that you really like it and want to keep it.)

Edited by George S.

Thanks for the input. I will say that I'm a bit nervous about the "whizzy" brakes on the 1150, but that may be irrational. I do find the 6-speed box appealing...

Doug

I can understand your concerns about the brakes, but it really is an easy fix to get rid of them if they ever became problematic.

It is no different really, to being left stranded in the middle of nowhere with a failed HES unit.

These things 'can' happen.

I too would err toward the (2004) newer bike, which was really the pinnacle of the evolution of the Oilhead.

Thanks for the input. I will say that I'm a bit nervous about the "whizzy" brakes on the 1150, but that may be irrational. I do find the 6-speed box appealing...

Doug

Doug,

Do you do any of your own maintenance? There is nothing hard about taking care of the brakes, but it does take a little time and effort on a yearly basis. It can be costly if you have someone else do it.

SILVER-SURFER7

Just giving my 2 cents, I have a 2004 RTP, still can find low mile examples on craigslist.

The RTP's are usually cheaper then the standard model, being police vehicles the bikes are well maintained. They also have some goodies that the standard models don't.

Any bike that is older then 10 years, will need to have certain components replaced do to the age of bike, at least I would for peace of mind. These bikes are relatively easy to do regular maintenance, lots of info out there to help, and this helps greatly to reduce overall cost.

Both RTp's that I have owned needed the throttle bodies rebuilt, cheap kit now available $110, instead of new ones, not cheap.

Have seen low mile RTp's in California for under 3K, and have seen high milage CHP bikes in same range.

Good luck in finding a "NEW" bike.

99 all the way. Wizzy brakes - blah. Six speed exploding gearbox - DOuble Blah.

Interesting... Whizzy brakes are a concern for me, but I'd been considering the 6-speed as an upgrade over the 5-speed. Are they really prone to "exploding" more than they should???

Doug

Doug,

Do you do any of your own maintenance? There is nothing hard about taking care of the brakes, but it does take a little time and effort on a yearly basis. It can be costly if you have someone else do it.

I do all my own maintenance on bikes (so far). Just recently I replaced the brake lines and bled the ABS system on my '99 GS. Is the annual maintenance primarily a particular flush sequence?

My concerns about the whizzy brakes are twofold. 1) are they nice to ride? and 2) if some essential part dies horribly am I on the hook for a 4-figure bill for the replacement parts. I'm not too enthused about converting the bike to manual brakes ever, because I fear that will make it hard to sell.

Doug

I'm on my 5th RT now but my 2000 RT I remember fondly as my favorite. Install a Techlusion on the '99 to kill the surge and you'll have a fantastically fun and beautiful bike.

Stay away from whizzy brakes, period -- a crackpot engineering idea manufactured with absurdly expensive parts and a "feature" that no customer ever asked for and that BMW rightly finally killed as truly irrational.

Doug

Doug,

I do all my own maintenance on bikes (so far). Just recently I replaced the brake lines and bled the ABS system on my '99 GS. Is the annual maintenance primarily a particular flush sequence?

My concerns about the whizzy brakes are twofold. 1) are they nice to ride? and 2) if some essential part dies horribly am I on the hook for a 4-figure bill for the replacement parts. I'm not too enthused about converting the bike to manual brakes ever, because I fear that will make it hard to sell.

Doug

It sounds like you can handle the maintenance on the brakes. It is just a particular method/sequence to flush them that includes removal of the tank to get to the servo pump. And yes, if the servo goes out, it's an expensive bill.

Clive Liddell

All I 'like' on the 1150RT is the 5 spoke wheels and the fact that the rear is a 17" and easy to get any make and size of tire. Oh, and the lighting is probably better.

If you are in a warm climate the 1100RT with a changeover flap deflects hot air from the oil cooler off the rider. Not too effective as a heater when the flap is set to warm air on the rider.

I have no use for a hydraulic clutch. Check on this board the many problems that this 'solution' gives. My 1100RT has over 125000km (and 16yrs) never even looked at the clutch cable apart from a drop of oil on the end nipples occasionally. Same with my R850R BTW.

The 6 speed may be an advantage if you do long high speed slab riding but I look for the twisties :>)

It has been mentioned but when I purchased my 1100RT (new) there were already R1150RT on the floor and I had no problems deciding on the 'older' model and the main reason was the whizzy brakes!

YMMV but whichever you choose ride and enjoy s great bike!

Edited by Clive Liddell

I find the rear brake WAY too sensitive on the 2002RT. It comes on way too strong for my taste (as in it has tried to put me on the ground in a u turn more than once).

The 6 speed is not an improvement on the 5 speed I have on the RS. The RTs 6th gear ratio is the same as 5th on the RS. That one additional downshift at a stop doesn't seem like much, but to me it feels like I am having to go down 87 gears to get to first.

The maintenance on the whizzy brakes really isn't a big deal. Just one more (easy) step than required on the non-whizzers.

I find the rear brake WAY too sensitive on the 2002RT. It comes on way too strong for my taste (as in it has tried to put me on the ground in a u turn more than once).

Afternoon flars

BMW sort of addressed that aggressive rear brake on the later 1150Rt's by installing a larger piston rear master cylinder.

On the early 2002 aggressive rear brake bikes we used just install the R1150R organic rear brake pads as the would tame the rear brake apply significantly.

You pretty much have to like self inflicted pain to appreciate an 1150 what with its abomination of an ABS system and driveline problems of all kinds. You don't believe me? Check out the thousands of threads on this and other forums over the years. I recently sold my '04 R1150RT (bought new) and now ride a pristine '10 FJR1300A and couldn't be happier. Sure, Yamaha had some problems with earlier FJR's but they stepped up and for the most part did right by their customers.

I should add a positive note. I prefer the very early oilheads because I think you are less likely to experience many of the drivetrain problems of latter models. I also think quality is generally better in small ways such as grease fittings to facilitate lubrication of the center stand bushings and full engagement of the trans input shaft splines. The early ABS system was also better as in who needs what amounts to a power brake system on a motorcycle for godsake? And then we have the so-called residual braking should the ABS fail. I could go on and on and........ Well I will..as in the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and its un-reliability on the BMW. My FJR has a hydraulic clutch like the 1150 but the big difference is it doesn't fail and if it did guess what? The clutch isn't effected. What will they think of next?

Edited by JamesW
99 all the way. Wizzy brakes - blah. Six speed exploding gearbox - DOuble Blah.

Interesting... Whizzy brakes are a concern for me, but I'd been considering the 6-speed as an upgrade over the 5-speed. Are they really prone to "exploding" more than they should???

I somehow lost track of this thread. Sorry I didn't gat back to you sooner, but in a word, yes. Google "clutch spline input shaft failure."