IGNORED

UNRally XVI 2017 Announcement

TyTass

Where?

I completely understand your interest in knowing where. But having been through all 15 of these Unrally events, let me explain a little about what the organizers and the venue go through.

Everyone wants to book as soon as they know they can go. But that would mean the venue would have to handle our calls for the next 10 months. And not only do they have 10 months of daily business to conduct prior to our event, but there are literally dozens of other groups (church groups, nature groups, wedding groups, school reunion groups, etc.) that will have events there between now and UnRally16. Therefore, the venue has given the Un Organizers a "registration window," usually several weeks if not a couple of months wide, during which they will take the actual reservations for our group. This usually takes place in the spring for an event on the dates that have been announced. They use these Registration Windows with all group events. This way, they're only juggling a couple of group events simultaneously, rather than a year's worth. As you can see, announcing the actual location would, even with the best of intentions, create an early and long-lasting burden on the venue, and venues have always been very cordial and receptive to us.

If you're looking for a general location, since the eastern UnRally can be anywhere in the eastern half of the U.S., and can be from the Atlantic ocean to the middle of Kansas and from the top of New England down to the Florida Keys, I'm sure a general location will be provided so people can determine whether it's a one-day ride or a two-day ride. But as to the specific hotel/motel/lodge, by agreement of both parties, that's going to have to wait until the Registration Window opens or until the Un Organizers, who've handled some tricky negotiations, deem it proper and beneficial to the event to announce it.

Thanks for understanding.

Makes for a tight riding schedule. The Un is just over a week before the RA rally in Michigan and just over 2 weeks before the MOA rally in Salt Lake City.

Where?

Assuming the graphic behind Craig and Matt has significance, it looks like the Blue Ridge Mountains, or at least the southern Appalachians, which covers anything from West Virginia to Georgia.

TIA to the UN-Masters.

^^^^^ Very much what he said ^^^^^. Volunteering to put on an UnRally for the rest of the members here is a true sign of goodness and caring.

While undertaking an event like this is far from a moon landing in complexity, the conceptualization, finding a great location, negotiating for the amenities that will make it a great event, and following up on the dozens of details it takes to make things appear seamless, requires strong leadership and organizational skills. Quality venues do have event sales personnel whose jobs it is to help make these events memorable. Nevertheless, motorcycle groups are different from weddings, from nature groups, from reunions. And a motorcycle group such as ours is different from ones swathed in chrome or peg-scraping brio. Coordinating a venue's offerings to create that ideal blend of riding time, non-riding activities, apres-ride camaraderie building, nearby food, and that one sumptuous group meal that caps off the event, is a labor of love. Spread out over many months, it's not all that many hours per. But it's the conceptualization and research that bring you to the commitment, along with the desire to be of service, that makes Un Organizers so appreciated.

Thanks in advance, INDEED!

FB, understand your reluctance to spill the beans yet. But If you were in SoCal, and were planning on riding to the Un, how many days would you allot? And what mix of slab versus "interesting" roads would you be driving?

I have several scheduling constraints...

Cheers,

FB, understand your reluctance to spill the beans yet. But If you were in SoCal, and were planning on riding to the Un, how many days would you allot? And what mix of slab versus "interesting" roads would you be driving?

I have several scheduling constraints...

Cheers,

Well, I actually DO live in SoCal. Last year I went to Wisconsin and allowed 3 days each way. I got to sightseeing a bit in Yellowstone, and it took me 3.5 to get there. But a lot of that time was spent traveling north. So, since this next UnRally won't be that far to the north, I still figure 3 days as a minimum, if you figure 700-800-mile days (rough estimate and assuming you get yourself to Vegas on the afternoon/evening before your official departure day). But I also tend to start my riding days at 3AM and be done riding by 5PM, rack up about 1000 miles on the first day, then just a 500-600-mile cruise on the other two, and so forth. So that can skew things.

There are interesting places to visit in all states. But I think you're wondering about interesting roads. That's an entirely different kind of trip. If you've got scheduling conflicts, go through the middle of the U.S. and once you're past Denver's approximate longitude, just hunker down, make miles, and leave the scenery for some other trip when you have the time.

The Un Rally is always scheduled on a Tue-Thu which gives attendees 3 days on each side for travel. For a cross-country schlep like you're talking about, you're going to need all of those days, and maybe one or two more depending on weather, traffic (wrong time of the day through Denver or Chi, or ??? can add hours) and construction (the general rule is stay to the south and get good info on the internet regarding delays). And don't forget a day or two minimum for recovery upon your return (at least that's a requirement for me now that I'm in my 60's).

In other words, my trip may not be your trip. But that'll give you an idea of what the minimums would be, if you're not a 1000-mile per day Iron Butt Rider, in which case all bets are off.

So, since this next UnRally won't be that far to the north

Aha! That rules out the Upper Peninsula, Finger Lakes and the Adirondacks. Got it cornered now...

That's a damn fine looking shirt there Pat!!

Tough to beat the view behind me. :thumbsup:

imagejpg1_zps8e2bfa68.jpg

Pat

I'm taking this as a HUGE hint! :whistle: But, I have no idea and I'm usually wrong on at least one thing a day. :facepalm:

Pat

I'm happy to see folks committing so soon and delighted to see folks who have never been to an UN joining in.

I can assure you all it will be a great time ... being an excellent base of operations for exploring great roads and many other activities.

• 2 weeks later...

of course you can do what I must do, trailer Yes I know a bad bad word on this site. But I really wanted to do the UN at Red Lodge. Loaded up my bike and two other bikes, we shared driving duties. 24 hours out (yes non stop) 7 days of wonderful riding, and 24 hours back. Sure makes good use of vacation time doing it that way. Of course if you are coming alone, then I would not recommend 24 hours of straight driving :-)

In addition in our group we were lucky, I can basically drive all night. Does not bother me and I do not get sleepy. The other riders drove until 11pm and I drove 11pm to 7am. Worked out great for us, and non of us could have attended if we had to ride out and back. Not to mention the huge cost savings.

Plus we all agreed we would never had made it across Missouri and Kansas in the heat we hit. But instead we were sitting in a nice air conditioned truck :-)

Finally one more point, depending on the location, we have tons of nice single track roads here in the east. I will most likely be trailering to this UN as well, as I will bring my street bike and my G450x

Just an option

I don't need the exact venue but until I know what state it's going to be in, I don't know if I'm in or not.

Exactly.

For sure!

Of course if you are coming alone, then I would not recommend 24 hours of straight driving :-)

So this is bad? Now you tell me.........

If you had considered this years ago, your 'Stich would actually still be red. Now it is some kind of shade of bug-ridden faded pink. Yes, pink I say.

Only crazy people would drive from the east coast to that area continuously driving until arrival.

Oh, wait.

That sounds familiar......

:grin:

Would love to make a go of it. Like a few others, I can't commit until a location is announced. That's OK though, winter is coming and I appreciate that coordinators for making it happen. When they're ready to announce, I'll be ready. This would be a first for me.

One question, and I don't want to take the thread off topic, is this typically a guys event or is there a good mix of singles and couples? My wife enjoys traveling on the bike. Thanks!

One question, and I don't want to take the thread off topic, is this typically a guys event or is there a good mix of singles and couples? My wife enjoys traveling on the bike. Thanks!

While I am NOT a seasoned UnRally attendee, I have been around the people that hang out here in person and online for a long time.

There is a reason it is called "UN rally". You don't get the typical commercial feel, the "don't play with that group" sense of other rallies. I cannot imagine a more welcoming event for anyone that might have felt they didn't fit in other places. Or just want to see what a rally/gathering is all about. And I mean for all sexes, races, religions, and all other preferences. You are a BMW Sport Touring enthusiast. Don't even need a BMW for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a damn fine looking shirt there Pat!!

Tough to beat the view behind me. :thumbsup:

imagejpg1_zps8e2bfa68.jpg

Pat

Hey I remember that place! Thanks for the reminder. Lots of fun. Still got the shirt, too.

OK, being a sucker for mystery and subterfuge (and having learned to trust you guys implicitly when it comes to figuring out Abundantly Cool Stuff to do in the realm of long distances & shiny objects), I'm in. Just please tell me at least a few days beforehand where I'll be going, so that I'll know whether I need to buy new tires or not.

OK, being a sucker for mystery and subterfuge (and having learned to trust you guys implicitly when it comes to figuring out Abundantly Cool Stuff to do in the realm of long distances & shiny objects), I'm in. Just please tell me at least a few days beforehand where I'll be going, so that I'll know whether I need to buy new tires or not.

Will,

Click Here for location, here for registration info , and here for rooms and reservation info. In that order will best answer your questions and get you going in the right direction to really being IN.