IGNORED

Replacing rear rotor on 04 rt - Seeking advise

Bigfish

I have purchased a new rear rotor and new rear pads. Spec on old rotor is under minimum tolerance. Is this an easy job or something for the stealerships to do?

Do I need to buy new bolts like BMW recommends or will the older bolts be fine if I thoroughly clean them? Also, would you use the red locktite when re-installing?

Will I need special map gas heat or will a harbor freight heat gun suffice?

Loosen rotor bolts when on bike for better leverage?

I'd like to do this myself but want to do it right the first time, so I hope for some great suggestions from you fellow riders / wrenchers.

Any suggestion would be welcome. Thank You!

I did it myself twice. I used a hot-air gun to soften the Loctite, being sure I got plenty of heat in.

I used new bolts and the correct loctite because i don't take risks with brake systems.

I did all the work off the bike and had no problems with leverage. Be sure your hex-keys fit properly - I use Hex bits with my socket set. As I said before, plenty of rest is the key to this job. Get it hot enough to soften the thread-lock and the job is straightforward, Not enough heat and you round-out the hex socket in the bolt - I found that once the fixings were hot enough, it took no more than firm pressure to unscrew the bolts. I also found some light corrosion under the disc mounting points - I cleaned these off with metal polish then touched up the surface with an alodine pen (because I had one - they are not cheap! See here )

It is important that these mounting surfaces are flat otherwise the disk can be warped.

All-in-all, not a difficult job provided you use the heat. I avoid using flames to heat the parts as this can easily damage the powder-coat on the wheel.

ANdy

The Rocketman

I removed and re-installed both front rotors on my '09RT a few months back. Re-used the same bolts, and used Red Loctite 272 (p/n 88442). Rested the wheels on a couple of blocks of wood to raise it up off the floor, so as to not damage bearings, rotors, etc. Broke 3 or 4 Torx bits on the re-install, even when using proper torque. They were cheesy Craftsman. Cleaned the old bolts off with a wire wheel and some Acetone. Worked for me....

There is only one thing that has not been mentioned, is the fact that those bolts tend to stretch when torqued. BMW must think that reuse will cause failure due to undo stress with a re- torque. Not saying that using them 2 times will cause failure but if the bike is old enough you won't know how many times the bolts have been used. So to keep the confusion down BMW recommends no reuse. Just like connecting rod bolts, one time use, due to stretch from torque,type of material and heat.