BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#970067 - 09/07/16 06:02 PM Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding?  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
This Spring, I hoisted a friends kid over my head and then swung him around, etc. I could tell right away I hurt something in my shoulders. Been hurting all Summer. Internal Med Doc gave some NSAID before I left for Colorado, thinking everything would be fine by the time I got back home. Opps.

MRI shows I have a "full thickness tear of the distal supraspinatus tendon at the footplate". In other words . . . surgery on my left arm.

Anyone had rotator cuff surgery, how long was the recovery - or more to the point - how long till you could ride again? Lots of riding on the schedule for next year, and a busy Fall travel calendar with the Wifey.

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#970070 - 09/07/16 06:16 PM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Kakugo
Unregistered

I won't lie to you: you'll only know after surgery because every case is different.
My brother had surgery to his left arm which left a pretty nasty scar (I should ask him exactly what that was because my memory is shot) and could ride again about a month and half later. But... he was way younger than any of us is right now. wink

#970090 - 09/08/16 12:33 AM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: ]  
Skywagon Online
Skywagon  Online

Bellaire Texas
been there done that....about 6 weeks of being mostly immobile, some rehab physical exercises, and all is well.

David
RT WET
#970092 - 09/08/16 12:45 AM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  
flars Offline
flars  Offline

Tampa Florida, USA
Now for the naysayer:
My wife just had a calcium deposit removed from her shoulder. It did impinge on her tendons, but nothing was torn, so this was 'minor' surgery. She was a ballroom dancer for 15 years, so she was in pretty good shape. Not overly strong, but not a couch potato either (well she one is NOW).
She was in a sling for two weeks. It has now been 8 weeks, and she cannot fully use her arm after 6 weeks of PT. She can touch the top of her head with the left hand now, but she has to be careful. Can't extend her arm straight to the side or forward.
You could probably ride after two months, but god help you if you have to use that arm to prevent a fall or whatever - it will hurt like the dickens, and may cause even worse damage.
Both my brothers have had the surgery - they actually hurt the rotator cuff. One (age 70 now) still cannot raise his arm above his head after two years. The other (older than 70) is doing fine as long as he doesn't overdo anything.
The muscles in your arm will atrophy after two weeks, and you will have to recover that strength AFTER you get PT for range of motion.
Don't let anyone tell you this is anything other than a major problem for you. Your recovery will be different from everybody else. You may be fine in two months, and you may not be fine after six months. It is a real crapshoot.

2002 R1150RT
1998 R1100RS
Dover,FL
#970100 - 09/08/16 01:33 AM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  
gordiet Offline
gordiet  Offline

Washington State and Arizona s...
I had a bad tear in my right shoulder. Had the surgery and found out I wasn't as tough as I thought I was. It is A VERY PAINFUL EXPERIENCE. Trying to sleep in a recliner for a month is no fun. The PT is what makes it come together. I'm a 100% now and very glad I had it done because I was on the verge of loosing mobility of my arm. Don't wait! Good luck🍻.

GT

#970146 - 09/08/16 05:06 PM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: gordiet]  
JohnnyJ Offline
JohnnyJ  Offline

California - Central Coast
I had rotator cuff / labrum surgery about 5 years ago. How soon can you ride?... Depends on if you go down or not. I'm conservative; I waited several months. Listen to your PT. Hopefully he interfaces with your surgeon so proper therapy can be administered. Recovery of "range of motion" is the goal. The physical strength will eventually come back. I've had lots of sports related orthopedic surgeries. The shoulder was by far the most difficult to recover from, but I consider myself 100% now.

Good Luck!

Johnny J

#970154 - 09/08/16 05:50 PM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  

Indianapolis
Thanks one and all for the replies! I was actually in to see my hip surgeon last week and asked about the shoulder and that led to the MRI. While my Hip Man does do shoulders, he does not scope them. Since he does the 'open' method, there is an additional cut to a muscle to recover from in addition to the reattachment itself. Not sure I need that and while I'm sure he's competent - he's known for hips not shoulders.

Saw a surgeon today who does use the scope and that's the route I'll take. I had originally planned to have a hip replaced this Fall - after FART and a trip to Maine in late October.

Scheduling is the issue now - which to do first and when. With deductibles, getting both done by years end is preferred. Smart thing to do would be to cancel the trip to Maine with Mrs. WTA - but there's lots of (solo) riding that's happened this year and that's on the calendar for next. And I'll be Workin' THAT Angel plenty enough recovering from two surgeries in such a short span. I can't see taking away the trip out East - she's gonna need it! Waiting till after will also allow for getting some Fall projects completed, which no doubt would please Mrs WTA.

Current thinking was to do hip first in early Nov and then shoulder in late Dec. Other option would be to do shoulder after FART - late Sept and hope it gets strong enough to have hip done later. Risk would be injury on plane/vacation/ traveling in Maine - would I be limited and/or holding back Mrs WTA with bum shoulder while on vacation - which would essentially make it a non-vacation for her. Which would be bad for both of us. I would have approx 4 weeks lead time between shoulder and vacation in Maine.

Last edited by workin them angels; 09/08/16 05:52 PM.

Dave
06 R12RT

#970158 - 09/08/16 06:56 PM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Well, I can't advise as to what course to take, but I wanted to wish you luck recuperating.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#970162 - 09/08/16 08:32 PM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  

Indianapolis
Thanks Craig. Hip only hurts when I ride whistle

Main thing is to be sure I'm ready for the UN that team mattytass has put together! thumbsup

Dave
06 R12RT

#970177 - 09/09/16 12:30 AM Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding? [Re: workin' them angels]  
Skywagon Online
Skywagon  Online

Bellaire Texas
I had the good fortune of getting connected to the NFL surgeon for my local team...family friend I would try to find out who the ortho person is for the pacers/colts and get an appointment with them if possible. They know how to get folks back on the field in a hurry and their equipment will be as modern as it comes.

Wishing you all the best to speedy recovery and a great vacation.

David
RT WET
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3