IGNORED

Rotator Cuff Surgery - Recovery - How long till riding?

Indy Dave

This Spring, I hoisted a friends kid over my head and then swung him around, etc. I could tell right away I hurt something in my shoulders. Been hurting all Summer. Internal Med Doc gave some NSAID before I left for Colorado, thinking everything would be fine by the time I got back home. Opps.

MRI shows I have a "full thickness tear of the distal supraspinatus tendon at the footplate". In other words . . . surgery on my left arm.

Anyone had rotator cuff surgery, how long was the recovery - or more to the point - how long till you could ride again? Lots of riding on the schedule for next year, and a busy Fall travel calendar with the Wifey.

I won't lie to you: you'll only know after surgery because every case is different.

My brother had surgery to his left arm which left a pretty nasty scar (I should ask him exactly what that was because my memory is shot) and could ride again about a month and half later. But... he was way younger than any of us is right now. ;)

Now for the naysayer:

My wife just had a calcium deposit removed from her shoulder. It did impinge on her tendons, but nothing was torn, so this was 'minor' surgery. She was a ballroom dancer for 15 years, so she was in pretty good shape. Not overly strong, but not a couch potato either (well she one is NOW).

She was in a sling for two weeks. It has now been 8 weeks, and she cannot fully use her arm after 6 weeks of PT. She can touch the top of her head with the left hand now, but she has to be careful. Can't extend her arm straight to the side or forward.

You could probably ride after two months, but god help you if you have to use that arm to prevent a fall or whatever - it will hurt like the dickens, and may cause even worse damage.

Both my brothers have had the surgery - they actually hurt the rotator cuff. One (age 70 now) still cannot raise his arm above his head after two years. The other (older than 70) is doing fine as long as he doesn't overdo anything.

The muscles in your arm will atrophy after two weeks, and you will have to recover that strength AFTER you get PT for range of motion.

Don't let anyone tell you this is anything other than a major problem for you. Your recovery will be different from everybody else. You may be fine in two months, and you may not be fine after six months. It is a real crapshoot.

I had a bad tear in my right shoulder. Had the surgery and found out I wasn't as tough as I thought I was. It is A VERY PAINFUL EXPERIENCE. Trying to sleep in a recliner for a month is no fun. The PT is what makes it come together. I'm a 100% now and very glad I had it done because I was on the verge of loosing mobility of my arm. Don't wait! Good luck🍻.

GT

I had rotator cuff / labrum surgery about 5 years ago. How soon can you ride?... Depends on if you go down or not. I'm conservative; I waited several months. Listen to your PT. Hopefully he interfaces with your surgeon so proper therapy can be administered. Recovery of "range of motion" is the goal. The physical strength will eventually come back. I've had lots of sports related orthopedic surgeries. The shoulder was by far the most difficult to recover from, but I consider myself 100% now.

Good Luck!

Johnny J

Thanks one and all for the replies! I was actually in to see my hip surgeon last week and asked about the shoulder and that led to the MRI. While my Hip Man does do shoulders, he does not scope them. Since he does the 'open' method, there is an additional cut to a muscle to recover from in addition to the reattachment itself. Not sure I need that and while I'm sure he's competent - he's known for hips not shoulders.

Saw a surgeon today who does use the scope and that's the route I'll take. I had originally planned to have a hip replaced this Fall - after FART and a trip to Maine in late October.

Scheduling is the issue now - which to do first and when. With deductibles, getting both done by years end is preferred. Smart thing to do would be to cancel the trip to Maine with Mrs. WTA - but there's lots of (solo) riding that's happened this year and that's on the calendar for next. And I'll be Workin' THAT Angel plenty enough recovering from two surgeries in such a short span. I can't see taking away the trip out East - she's gonna need it! Waiting till after will also allow for getting some Fall projects completed, which no doubt would please Mrs WTA.

Current thinking was to do hip first in early Nov and then shoulder in late Dec. Other option would be to do shoulder after FART - late Sept and hope it gets strong enough to have hip done later. Risk would be injury on plane/vacation/ traveling in Maine - would I be limited and/or holding back Mrs WTA with bum shoulder while on vacation - which would essentially make it a non-vacation for her. Which would be bad for both of us. I would have approx 4 weeks lead time between shoulder and vacation in Maine.

Edited by workin them angels

Thanks Craig. Hip only hurts when I ride :whistle:

Main thing is to be sure I'm ready for the UN that team mattytass has put together! :thumbsup:

I had the good fortune of getting connected to the NFL surgeon for my local team...family friend I would try to find out who the ortho person is for the pacers/colts and get an appointment with them if possible. They know how to get folks back on the field in a hurry and their equipment will be as modern as it comes.

Wishing you all the best to speedy recovery and a great vacation.

Just get it done! It only gets worse if you wait it can cause some serious problems if not taken care of. I know!

GT

Hope to have the timing puzzle figured out by Monday, if not tomorrow.

I had the good fortune of getting connected to the NFL surgeon for my local team...family friend I would try to find out who the ortho person is for the pacers/colts and get an appointment with them if possible. They know how to get folks back on the field in a hurry and their equipment will be as modern as it comes.

Wishing you all the best to speedy recovery and a great vacation.

Thanks! Good advice. My Hip guy is/was the CART/IRL/Indycar guy until he dialed it back. Now is the 'Ortho Consultant' to IMS and Indycar. He did my first hip.

Shoulder guy has been both Pacer's and Fever's Ortho guy. He had to cut back and someone else from their team now fills the Pacer role.

Here's the Shoulder guy's story. Life is short

I didn't know this part about him till just now when I googled him. When I left his office today, he said essentially 'go and make the best of the day' in a upbeat way that was refreshing.

Edited by workin them angels

I waited too long and it took a year before I felt like things were ok. I may have screwed things up a bit getting back on my bike to soon. I was warned but I jumped back on after twelve weeks. I rode to Billings Montana for the MOA rally. Caused some sleepless nights but what the heck, it didn't cause any long term damage.

GT

when i had my surgery i had three different injuries the oldest one was the problem. i was told the tendons and muscles shorten and some point they cannot be repaired correctly. he had problem repairing some of it. the first six weeks i was not able to sleep in bed only in a chair. when you start therapy the first part will be passive, they will move the shoulder. after that you will have to build up your strength and that depends on how much you work. yes it huts pretty bad for the first couple weeks. wish you luck

Just got word that my other shoulder needs surgery as well - greater than 75% torn. Since the left hurt worse, that was the only one MRI'd originally. I asked about a Cortisone shot for my right shoulder, which led to a MRI for it and I hit the Daily Double. Trifecta if you count the hip. Kinda figured the other shoulder was damaged as I lifted the kid up with both arms.

Humpty Dumpty

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd follow up on progress from the first surgery. I had the procedure on Oct 7th. The surgery itself took less than 45 mins, in and out in about 3 hours. They did a nerve block which kept my left arm 'numb' into the next evening - I hadno idea how heavy my arm is - all the bulging muscles, no doubt. :dontknow::ohboy: The pain wasn't too bad - so the pain meds must have been about right.

Went back two weeks later and had stitches removed and was given passive range of motion exercises to do at home.

Went back again last week and I have some more range of motion exercises. Dr said he was moving up my next visit because I had great range of motion. Sling can be off at home now, but not when out and about. Weight limited to 1 pound. I find the sling keeps me from instinctively using the arm.

I *think* I could ride, and I've been tempted. But it would be so easy to mess it up and tear it again -I don't want to go back through this. So like a kid on prom night, I'm trying to be patient. Temps have tanked here, but last Friday I had just about talked myself into a ride.

Based on my next visit, the right arm will be scheduled - Probably in mid January. :P

Edited by workin' them angels

HAHA. Tim - your comments made me think of the scene in Animal House - the devil on one side and the angle on the other.

I thought Greffster settled it. Till yesterday.

With the wife out running errands, the sun shining and me all alone, my degenerate thoughts turned to riding - but just around the block. That went so well, I added warmer gear and headed off. First to a parking lot to practice low speed turns and to be sure I had full range of motion. Then off to explore the countryside. Returning home 50 miles later, I felt great and had no issues. Except the stink eye from the wife. Can't blame her (much) - she has to put up with me and my reduced mobility. Knowing there is another one around the corner, the last thing she (or I) want is to have one of these done over again. :old::read:

"I yam what I yam" as Popeye would say. :whistle:

Better able to do that now - things have come a long way. I have pretty much full range of motion now, any tightness tends to be in places other than the shoulder - probably due to reduced use of the arm. Another 10 days before I graduate from non-weighted exercises to stretching resistance bands. I have good strength as long as I keep my elbow tucked in close to the body. I think the real work ahead will be developing the strength we're all accustomed to having with our arm reached out and away from the body.

Pretty happy. :dance: so far . . .

ALL FUN AND GAMES!?! :dontknow::computer::stir:

The better half has been a trooper as always, but can see how the bigger picture will more than likely work out. With the other arm up next, Major Winter projects aren't likely to get done eg: basement flooring and painting.

She'll get a bit of respite in mid Feb (4 weeks or so post second surgery) as we head out to Cali to see a 25th reunion show of a fav band of mine. She'll get a week in the sun and we'll see some family and friends, but the trip is ultimately a result of my interests. Still, better than no trip, right?! It's a win-win!

About the time I should have strength back and no restrictions, it'll be time for me to head off on my merry way for START in Maggie Valley. :bike:

Spring Torrey is on the calendar for May (still checking the her barometer :read::whistle: on that).

Her reward will finally arrive in Mid June as the plan is to reward her patience with a week in the Dominican Republic, returning just in time for our hero to head off for the UN.

Seems like a great plan to me .. .. .. Now, to plan the Summer rides . . . . . :spittake::spittake::shake::whistle::wave:

Sounds like you are coming along really well. It took me a year before I really felt like everything was right. I had a very severe tear that kinda screwed things up.

The bad news is that I'm looking at having the other shoulder done now! All I can say is Sxxx!💥

GT

• 2 months later...

Opps . . . I did it again! :ohboy::mad::cry::money::cry:

They say no good deed goes unpunished . . .

Things were going so well . . . I was avoiding heavy lifts, strains, etc with left arm. Good flexibility, no real discomfort. Great. Other shoulder surgery is scheduled.

Then the Windowed neighbor has a leak and her son comes over to borrow some tools. He comes back dejected - it's beyond him. Yours Truly foolishly agrees to take a look. After several trips through the crawl space, her plumbing is as good as new.

But hmm....why does my shoulder hurt? And keep hurting? Numb Nugget's here didn't think about the stress that crawling along the crawl space would put on the shoulder. :dopeslap:

Had a MRI and sure as I saved my neighbor $300, I re-tore the shoulder. Sooo, instead of having the other shoulder fixed tomorrow, I've opted to have this one fixed . . . again - so at least I have one good arm.

Pretty sure Mrs WTA is cursing the day she said "I Do . . ."

Edited by workin' them angels
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave I had Rotator Cuff Surgery and it almost caused me to have a heart attack! They gave me the nerve block also, which is wonderful, but!! I was in the recovery room and the nurse wanted me to sit up. Still being a little uncoordinated I needed assistance. She got me propped up in bed so for the first time I could look at my shoulder. Then the heart attack moment happened! I had no right arm, nada, nothing! I yelled rather loudly what the Hell did you do with my arm! Three more nurses came running in to help this tiny nurse with what they thought was someone going crazy.

In unison they asked me what was my problem. I said look my right arm is gone! It was supposed to be Rotator Cuff Surgery, not an amputation!

That's when one of the nurses pointed out to me that my arm had fallen out of the sling and was stuck in the harness behind my back. I had a nerve block I could feel the the dang thing at all. Seeing I was about to get an ear full I had to redirect their wrath. I asked them is it normal to tape the arm behind the patient? Immediately I was hearing "we are so sorry"! Whew and I averted another butt chewing!

Alan

Allan, Did we get lucky and get video? I'll bet that was a hoot.

Dave, sorry you got punished for being a good guy-heal well.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Whew and I averted another butt chewing!

It usually works well to tell them you're in a lot of pain and ask for a pain med bump. Then, tell them that you love them. "And, the talking ins't the drugs it doing."

Alan - That experience would be cause for a total freak out! Kudos on a quick reassessment and recovery, no doubt saving you from a slumber inducing 'hypo' injection. That nerve block is something else! Who knew your arm was so heavy?! That nerve block - in addition to blocking pain - immobilizes your arm. Tim Conway wasn't too far off in his famous Dentist skit, illustrating the effects of numbed extremities.

Things are moving along, thanks for all kind thoughts. I must confess I'm going a bit crazy (more so than usual) starting this all over again. I'll allow a guy needs a break every now and again, but this chronic restriction and limited activity wore out it's welcome 5 months ago. And Mrs WTA is no doubt 'thrilled' that the first real activity I hope to get cleared for is a bike trip - although I'm quite sure she'll enjoy a chance to regain her sanity while I'm away.